Having fun with a FX 8320 !

I've been on Intel for a few years now. I had an I7 950 that I didn't overclock and then bought a Xeon E3 1220 Sandybridge for the same price as the I5 2400 it mimics only the Xeon had more cache.

After reading this article recently -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

And with my Xeon being a bugger to overclock (4 turbo bins) I decided it was time to go back to AMD. Before my I7 950 I had used AMD for years and loved every minute with my P2 940.

So my 8320 came yesterday and I knew I would be hindered by the board I bought (Asrock 990fx Extreme3) but I have managed to get it to 4.2ghz using the FSB and small voltage increases and I'm having tons of fun here.

I ran Prime 95 (a stupid idea on a board with 4+1 power stages that throttles) mainly because I wanted to see it throttle, drop the temps and recover without locking up or BSODing. It was successful. Every five minutes it would hit 68c, drop the multi to 7, recover and then go back to 4.2ghz.

I just ran Metro 2033 benchmark 5 times and the CPU got to 48c so I think in gaming it will be able to easily hold temps and the overclock (got a H60 running push pull).

What's so much fun is that I have progressively worked my way up with the clocks and each time seen my 3Dmark scores increase. I am now way out ahead of my Xeon.

And Crysis 3? my minumum FPS have doubled and I'm getting highs in the 90s with everything maxed and 2XMSAA.

Really loving this CPU, and at £113 it's really solid value too :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I to just decided today to change to AMD iv only ever had intel and one crappy AMD so im kinda excited for AMD

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

At the price they are charging here in the UK now it would be madness to get anything else. They want £90 for the FX 4100 or £113 for the 8320 lol.

At 4.2ghz it's either dead level with my Sandybridge or ahead. I have overclocked the Xeon too using the FSB. Got 3.5ghz out of it.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

The FX 8320 is my favorite CPU currently .

I'll be honest and say that out of the box I was disappointed. I could not use the multiplier to get any stable overclock so resorted to the FSB in the end. It's drooping worse than a pensioner's knockers right now but that was to be expected. £80 for a SLI motherboard that's all SATA III and 16x 16x SLI had to give somewhere.

Still, 4.2 is a nice round figure and I just broke my 3dmark 11 record so I'm more than happy :)

I'll be honest and say that out of the box I was disappointed. I could not use the multiplier to get any stable overclock so resorted to the FSB in the end. It's drooping worse than a pensioner's knockers right now but that was to be expected. £80 for a SLI motherboard that's all SATA III and 16x 16x SLI had to give somewhere.

Still, 4.2 is a nice round figure and I just broke my 3dmark 11 record so I'm more than happy :)

Yes, from what I've seen the 8320s are more "hit or miss" in term of OCing capabilities as it seems AMD do cherry-pick their 8350s (there are exceptions ofc).

Must admit, OCing an AMD chip is a lot of fun; just remember to not go too much higher than 62-65C on the cores, could be degradation (according to AMD)  ;)

Good to see that the 4+1 supports OCing that beast (power draw is crazy!) 

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

It throttles when temps go over 68 in Prime so it's pretty safe :)

The highest I saw when running 3dmark 11 four times was 52, miles below where it should be.

But Crysis 3? holy cow. This thing tears it apart ! my FPS have doubled :O

Here is my 3dmark 11 run. Not bad for a 4.2ghz overclock :D

3dm11.jpg

Oh, didn't saw it was a Prime95 throttle, all good then.

Nice score... I miss Windows 7 for 3DM11 scores  :P

A SLI of 670?

Intel Core i7-5820k @ 4,6Ghz; Asus X99 Deluxe; GSkill Ripjaws 4 (4x4) 2400Mhz; MSi GTX 980 Reference @ 1.4Ghz; CM V700; Phanteks Enthoo Luxe; Windows 8.1 Pro

Yeah I run Palit Jetstreams in SLI :)