Reservoir Options?

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

I assume I'll be OK with the standalone tube res option, correct?

What would I need for a fill/bleed port?

This being a standalone res:  http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoirs/ek-res-x3-series/ek-res-x3-150.html

This being a multi-port top: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoir-acc/ek-res-x3-series/ek-res-x3-top-v2-multiport.html 

You screw the multi-port top onto the top of the res. You can have one port connected to your components as an inlet (with a splash tube on the inside), leaving the other two ports to be used as for example as fill/bleed ports. 

As Enderman has pointed out, you can also use the bottom of the standalone res for both the inlet and outlet as long as the res outlet is feeding the pump and the res inlet is receiving the liquid after again after it's done a round through your other WC components. 

Example of the top being used as an inlet and the bottom as the outlet feeding the pump, the original poster also mentioned that EK has designed the multi-port in a manner that you have to buy a G1/4 splash tube or other aqua pipe because the G1/4 threads don't reach the end of the cap.

900x900px-LL-4a43c9fd_002.jpeg

Hello all,

I'm looking to build this within the next couple weeks. However, after looking at a couple threads, it seems mounting a tube res will not be as simple as I thought: I assume that the water should be flowing towards the pump, which is below the res (correct me if I'm wrong), but it seems that not many reservoirs are capable of having a bleed/fill port and a top inlet without something akin to a internal tube and some sort of (?) extension fitting. If this is the only option, would someone mind putting together the necessary parts?

Also, what would be the optimal airflow configuration for this? Intakes on the top and bottom and front to back on the other fans?

Thanks in advance!

EK multioption res. Has 5 ports at the botton and one at the top. Perfect for what you need.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Hello all,

I'm looking to build this within the next couple weeks. However, after looking at a couple threads, it seems mounting a tube res will not be as simple as I thought: I assume that the water should be flowing towards the pump, which is below the res (correct me if I'm wrong), but it seems that not many reservoirs are capable of having a bleed/fill port and a top inlet without something akin to a internal tube and some sort of (?) extension fitting. If this is the only option, would someone mind putting together the necessary parts?

Also, what would be the optimal airflow configuration for this? Intakes on the top and bottom and front to back on the other fans?

Thanks in advance!

These three together:

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/res-pump-combo/ek-d5/ek-d5-x-res-top-140-csq-black-acetal.html

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoir-acc/ek-res-x3-top-v2-multiport.html

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoir-acc/ek-res-x3-internal-tube-12-16-40mm.html

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Tube resevoirs need that splash tube to make sure the water will not splash above the water level because that would create noise and put air in the loop. This would degrade performance and potentially damage components. I think the XSPC Photon tube resevoirs come with a practical mount and they have some system to prevent splashing without the need for that small tube.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

EK multioption res. Has 5 ports at the botton and one at the top. Perfect for what you need.

Tube resevoirs need that splash tube to make sure the water will not splash above the water level because that would create noise and put air in the loop. This would degrade performance and potentially damage components. I think the XSPC Photon tube resevoirs come with a practical mount and they have some system to prevent splashing without the need for that small tube.

I haven't anything that suggests this on the photon; would you mind linking me something?

Also, do any of you know the optimal airflow configuration I should have?

Thanks!

I haven't anything that suggests this on the photon; would you mind linking me something?

Thanks!

They're called aqua pipes

here ya go

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11866/ex-tub-716/Bitspower_G_14_Matte_Black_Aqua-Pipe_II_BP-MBWP-C18.html?tl=c97s169b145&id=ZwUJJsBr

Thanks!

You can see from the video that it is making 0 splashes or air bubbles. I will look for the place where i saw the info about the technology they used to achieve this :)

EDIT- here is a quote from one website, but I have see this in more than one place for sure:

One end of the Photon is equipped with three G1/4” openings with spacing wide enough to accommodate ¾” OD fittings along with LED insert, while the other has a single G20 fill port with cap. One G1/4” black chrome plug is included. Internally, both ends of the Photon use an anti-turbulence design that keeps air bubbling to an absolute minimum, even under higher pressures. Each XSPC Photon Tube Reservoir is individually pressure tested to assure proper operation out of the box. It is strongly recommended that the end caps are not removed from the unit.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can see from the video that it is making 0 splashes or air bubbles. I will look for the place where i saw the info about the technology they used to achieve this :)

(Apologies couldn't watch the video b/c bad internet)

Isn't that in a horizontal setup? I imagine that the situation would be different when placed vertically :P

Does this have a compression fitting built in, or will I have to attach that to this?

(Apologies couldn't watch the video b/c bad internet)

Isn't that in a horizontal setup? I imagine that the situation would be different when placed vertically :P

Read the bottom of my edited post :)

PS it works perfectly mounted horizontally and vertically.

When mounted vertically I'm pretty sure the water input needs to be on the bottom though...

Spoiler

Read the bottom of my edited post :)

Alright, however, someone else has said (in another forum)

The Photon doesn't come with a "multiport top" like you wanted. The way XSPC made the top for it makes it a no-go for having a top-mounted inlet. It has only an M20 threaded cap for use as a fill port.

So will this be an issue? D:

Alright, however, someone else has said (in another forum)

So will this be an issue? D:

The inlet needs to be on the bottom, correct.

This shouldn't be an issue though, all you need is a tube a couple inches longer to reach the bottom...

It will look somewhat like this, with in and out both on the bottom:

post-4438-0-24952400-1406954969.jpeg

Spoiler

The inlet needs to be on the bottom, correct.

This shouldn't be an issue though, all you need is a tube a couple inches longer to reach the bottom...

It will look somewhat like this, with in and out both on the bottom:

attachicon.giftemp.jpeg

Apologies;

if the inlet is on the bottom, wouldn't that let the pump run dry, since the res is (supposedly) above the pump?

Apologies;

if the inlet is on the bottom, wouldn't that let the pump run dry, since the res is (supposedly) above the pump?

No, this doesn't matter. Both the inlet and outlet are on the bottom. As long as the outlet goes to the pump, then pump to components, and components to inlet it is perfectly safe.

The point is that the res needs to be above the pump, and the pump needs to suck water from the resevoirs outlet.

It does not matter where the inlet is.(but for the photon it needs to be on the bottom)

If you tell us your case, and the watercooling components you want to buy, we can draw you a pic of what it will look like and how it will work :)

Spoiler

No, this doesn't matter. Both the inlet and outlet are on the bottom. As long as the outlet goes to the pump, then pump to components, and components to inlet it is perfectly safe.

The point is that the res needs to be above the pump, and the pump needs to suck water from the resevoirs outlet.

It does not matter where the inlet is.(but for the photon it needs to be on the bottom)

If you tell us your case, and the watercooling components you want to buy, we can draw you a pic of what it will look like and how it will work :)

Alright :P PCPartpicker link is here

So the res will just need to have both the inlet and outlet on the bottom?

Alright :P PCPartpicker link is here

So the res will just need to have both the inlet and outlet on the bottom?

Yup tomorrow I will draw you a loop in MS paint and you will see how the fluid will flow.

Spoiler

Yup tomorrow I will draw you a loop in MS paint and you will see how the fluid will flow.

Alright, thanks!

This being a standalone res:  http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoirs/ek-res-x3-series/ek-res-x3-150.html

This being a multi-port top: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/reservoirs-and-acc/reservoir-acc/ek-res-x3-series/ek-res-x3-top-v2-multiport.html 

You screw the multi-port top onto the top of the res. You can have one port connected to your components as an inlet (with a splash tube on the inside), leaving the other two ports to be used as for example as fill/bleed ports. 

As Enderman has pointed out, you can also use the bottom of the standalone res for both the inlet and outlet as long as the res outlet is feeding the pump and the res inlet is receiving the liquid after again after it's done a round through your other WC components. 

Example of the top being used as an inlet and the bottom as the outlet feeding the pump, the original poster also mentioned that EK has designed the multi-port in a manner that you have to buy a G1/4 splash tube or other aqua pipe because the G1/4 threads don't reach the end of the cap.

Alright; personally I do like the look of a top inlet, so I'll probably go with that :)

However, how would a port function as both an inlet and an outlet?

Alright; personally I do like the look of a top inlet, so I'll probably go with that :)

However, how would a port function as both an inlet and an outlet?

Agreed, top inlets look better IMO too.

Most reservoirs have dedicated inlet and outlet ports (check the manual and/or it's usually indicated on the end cap with IN/OUT). I can't tell you 100% how this works but I've read that it's just the internal design of the end cap that ensure that water from the inlet port can't directly flow through the outlet port and vice versa. This along with the fact that it's a water loop, water both enters and leaves the res at the same time ensures that everything runs smoothly even when your running both the in and outlet from the bottom of the res.

Alright, thanks!

post-4438-0-31734200-1407085994.jpg

This is just one example. You can easily add your GPU into the loop too.

The long tube can go behind the mobo tray if you want, to make things a bit neater.

Also your partpicker list says 480mm rad on the bottom, but the enthoo pro only supports a 240mm on the bottom and 240mm on the front.

The way I drew it with only a 360mm on top and 240mm on the front will be more than enough for your system.

Spoiler

attachicon.gif7.jpg

This is just one example. You can easily add your GPU into the loop too.

The long tube can go behind the mobo tray if you want, to make things a bit neater.

Also your partpicker list says 480mm rad on the bottom, but the enthoo pro only supports a 240mm on the bottom and 240mm on the front.

The way I drew it with only a 360mm on top and 240mm on the front will be more than enough for your system.

Meh, I forgot to add the GPU block :P

Anyways, it is the enthoo primo in the PCPartpicker :P

I'll actually probably end up doing something like Post #17, but thanks for your help!

Meh, I forgot to add the GPU block :P

Anyways, it is the enthoo primo in the PCPartpicker :P

I'll actually probably end up doing something like Post #17, but thanks for your help!

Ok cool, you're welcome :)

Spoiler