270x vs 760

c0d0ps

Well i can tell you because if look at my profile, you would see that i have a Samsung 128GB Pro.

My statement is totaly right my friend, the SSD´s still get bottlenecked by the sata controlers, especialy amd suffer from this, but intel aswell. This also depends on which sata controler there is on the board, sata directly from the southbridge do run a littlebit better, then the As-media controllers in my opinnion, or the Marvel controller.

Next to that, to reach the advertised speeds of an SSD, you have to do tons of windows tweaks to achieve that.

To be more specifick, i did alot of benchmarks on the SSD, trying to come anything near close to the advertised speed, it cost me hours of tweaking windows lol.

Anyway, i nowhere said that an SSD is not a upgrade, Yes an SSD boots faster, and yes an SSD loads faster, that also what i have said.

BUt installing an OS, just takes alot of time, especialy building the registry, wenn you talk about windows. And that just takes some time. Installing an OS is also depending from which medium you run your setup, from USB or DVD drive or Network install, makes a huge diffrence aswell.

Also that an SSD boots faster is offcourse nice, but boot times on a normal HDD aren´t bad either.

My SSD boots into windows 7 64bit ultimate in arround 13 seconds cold boot from powerup.

My previous HDD did arround 18 - 20 seconds to cold boot into desktop.

Mention that i talk about cold boots, without X fast boot enabled. Offcourse you can boot faster with X fast boot enabled, but that has not realy much to do with the SSD in the first place.

Back to my story, i never stated that an SSD is not a upgrade, like i said.

But its not an needable upgrade, and that is where its all about.

You easaly can live without a SSD.

Your comment looks to me, that you state that you cannot live without a SSD, in my opinnion that statement is totaly wrong

My advice is to grab a better GPU instead of an SSD, simply because an SSD does not give you more gaming performance at all.

And also an SSD can be easaly added later on.

If you are on a budget, its just better to invest in a decent GPU instead of an SSD.

End of story. :)

Well I was thinking here about a long answer but since this is a GPU based thread I won´t do that... All I can see that we are looking at this from a very different perspective.

You look at this from a consumer grade perspective, and in that case: Yes go for the GPU over the SSD and benefit from the more raw power of the GPU.

But I consider myself as a super enthusiast that´s just looking for pure performance for everything that´s regarding my benchmarking/gaming rig. And I don´t live on any budget what so ever.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Well I was thinking here about a long answer but since this is a GPU based thread I won´t do that... All I can see that we are looking at this from a very different perspective.

You look at this from a consumer grade perspective, and in that case: Yes go for the GPU over the SSD and benefit from the more raw power of the GPU.

But I consider myself as a super enthusiast that´s just looking for pure performance for everything that´s regarding my benchmarking/gaming rig. And I don´t live on any budget what so ever.

Offcourse there is nothing wrong to look at it from diffrent perspective

Since i realy appreciate your feedback, I look at it from a diffrent way.

offcourse if you can afford an SSD, without sacrificing on other more important components like an cpu or gpu, then yes offcours you should grab an SSD. 

But if you on a tight budget, you have to make choices / sacrifices.

And then in my opinnion, its better invest in a better gpu / cpu or other more important components, instead of an ssd.

But remember its just my "personal" opinnion :)

You look at it from a diffrent perspective, which offcourse is nothing wrong with.

So 120gb is ok then ..?

and it won't take an hour or something?

That sounds good but is it worth getting 120gb ssd over 1tb gb?

It sounds like I need more memory but idk. If I need more then I might as well save more money for it.

So 120gb is ok then ..?

and it won't take an hour or something?

That sounds good but is it worth getting 120gb ssd over 1tb gb?

It sounds like I need more memory but idk. If I need more then I might as well save more money for it.

get an SSD even if it's just for the OS and drivers.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

The incredible IOPS really make resource hog Windows OS run like it is actually well optimized yes LOL.

What is the entire build you're looking at? Could make it easier for us to suggest how you should allocate your funds. But yeah I'd personally recommend getting an SSD now even if it means using an R9 270 instead of a R9 280. The 270 is still very solid and can play games like BF4 on a mix of high-ultra at 1080P 60 FPS.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

What is the entire build you're looking at? Could make it easier for us to suggest how you should allocate your funds. But yeah I'd personally recommend getting an SSD now even if it means using an R9 270 instead of a R9 280. The 270 is still very solid and can play games like BF4 on a mix of high-ultra at 1080P 60 FPS.

My build is at workbench>buildlog.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/190075-computer-build-tips-first-build/

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

But is it enough while waiting for an hdd?

Is the memory enough?

ca 120-128 gb memory.

I might be able to save up and buy both.

I am scared that it won't be enough memory with only ssd.

PC  Specs 2022:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    AMD Ryzen R9 5900x @ 5.1GHz - Auto OC
  • Curve Optimizer Magnitude: -20
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX x570-F Gaming
  • RAM
                                        Kingston Fury 32GB DDR4 3200MHz 16x2GB
  • GPU
    MSI 3070 8GB Ventus 2x OC
  • Case
    LIAN LI LANCOOL MESH II Mesh RGB Black
  • Storage
    Kingston NV1 2TB M.2. NVMe
  • PSU
    Seasonic Focus GX 850w 
  • Display(s)
    MSI OPTIX MAG 251RX IPS 240hz & ASUS MG248Q Vertical 144hz & Dell 60hz
  • Cooling
    NZXT Kraken x73 360mm
  • Keyboard
    Tt eSports Meka G1
  • Mouse
    Logitech G Pro Wireless
  • Operating System
    -Windows 10 Professional 64bit

Go with what alot of people are saying, the R9 280 is the way to go. You could always save up for an ssd.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

But is it enough while waiting for an hdd?

Is the memory enough?

ca 120-128 gb memory.

I might be able to save up and buy both.

I am scared that it won't be enough memory with only ssd.

It will hold like 10 games.

If you can save up and buy both I would.

If you want to get the GPU and upgrade later, you can always sell on Ebay or break it without leaving physical damage and return it for your money.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Get r9 280x. in my country it was same price as the asus gtx 760. so getting r9 280x was the clear winner

Spoiler