Pentium G3258 "Anniversary Edition" overclocked to 6.7GHz

You can't fully agree yet you used AMD's world record of 8794 MHz on an 8350 as an example to compare the chips overclock to when current Intel chips cannot go above 8 GHz due to restrictions with the multiplier and base clock. It's physically impossible for a modern Intel chip to clock that high. Hence my reasoning for stating the importance to compare the overclocks to other Intel chips not to a completely different architecture. It's just not possible to clock that high on modern Intel chips. So using it as a comparison is pointless.  

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense but still, it's Intels fault for that limitation which AMD does not have. 

does anyone know what the highest OC is on water?

What chip?

I understand what you are saying and it makes sense but still, it's Intels fault for that limitation which AMD does not have. 

I guess if you consider it an actual limitation. 

What chip?

this Anniversary Pentium

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

this Anniversary Pentium

Probably going to be a hard statistic to find, how many people buy a Pentium to watercool it? The whole point of the chip is to save money while still performing well. There is one guy on Overclock.net in the G3258 Owners thread who's under water and hit 5GHz stable. 

Doesn't the insane cooling sort of defeat the purpose of the great value CPU?

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Well in this case it's mostly to see how far it can go and for a cheap chip that's a pretty good achievement in my opinion. 

1393639778058.gif?w=278&h=212

No really i don't get the point of it at all

tumblr_m726858b4m1rsy50k.gif

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Probably going to be a hard statistic to find, how many people buy a Pentium to watercool it? The whole point of the chip is to save money while still performing well. There is one guy on Overclock.net in the G3258 Owners thread who's under water and hit 5GHz stable. 

I was planning on doing it, but I don't wanna push my poor motherboard through another 5GHz OC ^^

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

1393639778058.gif?w=278&h=212

No really i don't get the point of it at all

tumblr_m726858b4m1rsy50k.gif

extreme benchmarking and overclocking is a hobby to some people beyond just your typical 4.4-4.8GHz daily overclock. They use extreme methods of cooling and test various chips to see how far they can go. They do this for fun. 

I was planning on doing it, but I don't wanna push my poor motherboard through another 5GHz OC ^^

Not so much the motherboard that you have to worry about. More the CPU itself. 

Current best I know of on PLAIN water for G3258 is 4.94 GHz, and that's on a hex Alphacool Monsta Radiator.

With a chiller, I've seen 5.28

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I can't imagine just casually pouring liquid nitrogen it your case, the things people do for speed.

Not so much the motherboard that you have to worry about. More the CPU itself. 

Well I had some issues with my memory after I OCed my 4770K to 5GHz. The problem seems solved now, but I am pretty sure my motherboard took a beating ^^

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

I can't imagine just casually pouring liquid nitrogen it your case, the things people do for speed.

We don't OC for speed, we OC for achievements. Also, you don't pour LN2 into your case, you pour it into a metal bucket sitting on top of your chip.

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

It's a bit more complicated than that.  :P

Well I had some issues with my memory after I OCed my 4770K to 5GHz. The problem seems solved now, but I am pretty sure my motherboard took a beating ^^

That's a typical reaction when you start getting to 5GHz. Considering you have 32GB of memory, you are stressing the memory controller very hard at that point. Therefore you would probably have to increase your memory controller voltage (VCCIO)

That's a typical reaction when you start getting to 5GHz. Considering you have 32GB of memory, you are stressing the memory controller very hard at that point. Therefore you would probably have to increase your memory controller voltage (VCCIO)

I'll pm you. let's not hijack this topic ;)

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

I guess if you consider it an actual limitation. 

Well yeah, it serves no purpose going that high except for fun. It would be like blaming a case manufacturer for inability of their product to hold water without leakage, it's just not designed for it so there is no point. 

Well yeah, it serves no purpose going that high except for fun. It would be like blaming a case manufacturer for inability of their product to hold water without leakage, it's just not designed for it so there is no point. 

not just fun. also curiosity and a certain level of satisfaction as well as a bit of popularity within the community. Being the first to achieve anything is almost always very satisfying. 

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs