The coolest and most useful science, is materials science

Sammael

Exhibit A

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/186952-stanford-creates-holy-grail-lithium-battery-could-triple-smartphone-and-ev-battery-life

It's touches on so many fields, and it's so damn useful because it actually applies new knowledge to actual problems and finds ways of giving civilization new toys and capabilities.  You can't claim that for the large hadron collider, the low hanging fruit of theoretical physics has been plucked, but there is a vast frontier to explore with materials.

Every one of you with a brain, eff finance, eff theoretical physics, eff business management, eff computer science.  We already have throngs of bright people doing the latter, but we need more of the mutant intellects we birth to tackle the puzzles of nature, not the puzzles of man.  And for gods sakes, do not go into finance, it's such a waste seeing amazing talents people are born with focused on something so... pedestrian and nothing more than a societal support rather than something that advances civilization.  

I want an electric car that goes a thousand miles on a charge, and "innovating" a new technique for making money like derivatives is not going to help with that!  

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

An electrical engineer begs to differ.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The material scientists touch on electrical engineering too though don't they?  Their field is like a polymath of hard sciences.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

but does it blend? that is the question.

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

The material scientists touch on electrical engineering too though don't they? Their field is like a polymath of hard sciences.

All sciences are like that. You can't just claim one is best, unless you want to start a holy war of engineers... There is also a lot of overlap between all of them, just take 2 random sciences, I can guarantee you can find a cross between them.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

All sciences are like that. You can't just claim one is best, unless you want to start a holy war of engineers... There is also a lot of overlap between all of them, just take 2 random sciences, I can guarantee you can find a cross between them.

I kind of do want to see a holy engineer war, I wonder who would win.  My money is on the ones who make robots.

Shadow_Hand_Bulb_large.jpg

I kind of do want to see a holy engineer war, I wonder who would win.  My money is on the ones who make robots.

-snip-

My money's on computer engineers. Mechantronics, maybe. But computer engineers would probably win the war. 

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Its on. Mechanical Engineers FTW!!!! 

;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Shut up material science. I hated you in my A-Level and will continue to hate you til I die

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

nah, ECE objectively is the best field.

Make me a Tesla with 1k range and a 20min charge time!

I'm no engineer, I'm a economist. I help fund scientific research, surely my profession isn't pointless right?

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^