2nd Monitor Lags when Fullscreen Gaming on Primary

Eclipzify

I have browsed a good dozen articles and forum posts about this issue, and have found no successful fixes so far. I am running Windows 8 64bit, and it isn't a hardware problem because I have a high-end gaming rig, and was working perfectly fine until I had to do a complete OS refresh. Still happens on performance power plan, and am currently running: single display performance mode and maximum performance powermanagement via NVidia control panel. All computer drivers are completely up to date. Thanks :)

What GPU?

Are you sure it's fullscreened, and not fullscreen windowed? If it's the latter, everything else will lag when the game is in focus at all, since it's trying to render the game, and everything behind it as well.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

What GPU?

That is irrelevant, I would prefer people to help who know about the issue..

Are you sure it's fullscreened, and not fullscreen windowed? If it's the latter, everything else will lag when the game is in focus at all, since it's trying to render the game, and everything behind it as well.

It happens in any game I select in the video options "Fullscreen", and I can personally also tell you it is running that aswell :/

Ok, define 2nd monitor lags then. Is it just slow to do things on the 2nd monitor when you alt+tab to if from the fullscreen game, or are you like... playing a youtube video on the second screen at the same time?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

That is irrelevant, I would prefer people to help who know about the issue..

LOL. I was just asking so I would have the full picture and assuming that I don''t know anything about it is incredibly thick headed of you. I'll take a stab at it though. The GPU is being taxed so much by the game that it second screen is lagging. That's why I was wondering about the graphics card because if you are running dual 780tis then this would be wrong wouldn't it. If you cant't answer a simple question like that for someone who is attempting to help you then post elsewere.

Ok, define 2nd monitor lags then. Is it just slow to do things on the 2nd monitor when you alt+tab to if from the fullscreen game, or are you like... playing a youtube video on the second screen at the same time?

Say for instance I'm running a 3D application fullscreen, and want to watch a YouTube video on my second screen. I guess it probably only happens with videos because I don't ever have anything moving on my 2nd screen when gaming except for videos. Hope that helps?

LOL. I was just asking so I would have the full picture and assuming that I don''t know anything about it is incredibly thick headed of you. I'll take a stab at it though. The GPU is being taxed so much by the game that it second screen is lagging. That's why I was wondering about the graphics card because if you are running dual 780tis then this would be wrong wouldn't it. If you cant't answer a simple question like that for someone who is attempting to help you then post elsewere.

I already stated that I have a high end rig, if you must know it's a Titan, but I already stated that it was working perfectly normal pre-os fresh install. I wasn't trying to be thick headed, rather asking for professional replies that read my problem description... Nonetheless if you took the comment as that then I am sorry, from one mater-race brother to another. Do not take me as being offensive, I'm just rather directive with my approaches.

In that case, the problem is because it's trying to double render moving images. In this case, the game is the focus, so by default, it gets as much horsepower as it needs, and anything left over, will be used for all other rendering. So, when you have a game fullscreened, and visible, and then try to load a video, the video is gonna be super laggy. It's the same as running a game in windowed fullscreen, and then trying to use firefox or something else. Once FF gets the focus, your game frame rate will plummet, until it's back in focus.

If you have your GPU set to be the display card for all graphics, try changing it so it's only your games, and your processor's IGP takes over for YouTube and the likes (aka, for a browser). This might help you out, but I doubt it, it's more of a Windows thing. Your best bet, is to do each separately, or, run them fullscreen across both displays and just alt+tab

I'm just rather directive with my approaches.

I am the same a simple question and I didn't understand why you couldn't answer it. Anyway thats the only reason I can think of.

Potentially silly question, but you never addressed it, and you said it was a fresh install of OS, all the OS drivers up to date as well? (assuming its windows) doing all the windows updates might help if you haven't done them all.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Potentially silly question, but you never addressed it, and you said it was a fresh install of OS, all the OS drivers up to date as well? (assuming its windows) doing all the windows updates might help if you haven't done them all.

I have yet to install Windows 8.1, maybe that might be where the error is - with native Windows 8.

I am the same a simple question and I didn't understand why you couldn't answer it. Anyway thats the only reason I can think of.

Sorry about my response before :/

No problem man this isn't my first time on the internet. I have dealt with much worse. :)

I have yet to install Windows 8.1, maybe that might be where the error is - with native Windows 8.

It could very well be your problem, not having an OS up to date can cause issues for sure. Do that, then report back, hopefully that will fix the issue. Windows updates can be important!

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

It could very well be your problem, not having an OS up to date can cause issues for sure. Do that, then report back, hopefully that will fix the issue. Windows updates can be important!

I understand, but this shouldn't be an issue with native Windows 8 64 bit, one would assume these problems should be fixed on a final release. I'll get to it now and post back as soon as 8.1 is installed.

I understand, but this shouldn't be an issue with native Windows 8 64 bit, one would assume these problems should be fixed on a final release. I'll get to it now and post back as soon as 8.1 is installed.

Microsoft has no way of knowing what kind of hardware can be released in the future after their products are in development, which is why patches exist to update how well things work with newer hardware, the chances that windows 8 or even 8.1 was under development before the Titan was released is pretty high, so the base for Win8 might not be fully compatible/have some conflictions without having your OS up to date with patches/fixes Microsoft pushes out after the initial launch

Microsoft has no way of knowing what kind of hardware can be released in the future after their products are in development, which is why patches exist to update how well things work with newer hardware, the chances that windows 8 or even 8.1 was under development before the Titan was released is pretty high, so the base for Win8 might not be fully compatible/have some conflictions without having your OS up to date with patches/fixes Microsoft pushes out after the initial launch

I understand this, but I'm having the same issues on my 2nd computer with native OS8 and a Geforce 670. Frustrating more than anything.

I understand this, but I'm having the same issues on my 2nd computer with native OS8 and a Geforce 670. Frustrating more than anything.

Well, if Win8 isnt up to date on there either, the issue may make sense. However if it is, that's strange.

Well, an example; on Windows 8 you can only run one Metro app even if you have 2 display... if you try to run another while one is already running, the first one will minimized even if you try to put it on 2nd screen...

So, assuming these kind of problems should be fixed at release is a serious mistake... we are at the age of half-baked software is the full release version...  :lol:

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N