Looking for some advice on second-hand components

Hello Everybody,

I want to build my own computer, so I am taking my first steps at choosing components.

Someone I know is selling his EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Superclocked GDDR5 ZGAN for $390, it's in a perfect state and he sells it with all of the other assecoires.

which costs online, new, about roughly a $520.

He used this card for only about 5 months and still has the 2 years of warranty at EVGA and Azerty(the webshop he bought it from).

So my questions are; is it a good idea to buy second-hand computer components? 

As if its safe and durable?

And what can I accomplish with having the warranty + invoice of the webshop he bought it from?

If anyone could help me with taking this decision, Thanks in advance,

post-108955-0-39200400-1406455692.png

Because you are not the original purchaser and he has probably registered the card to his EVGA account, it is likely that the warranty will only apply to the card in your possession for 3 years from the date of manufacture, not the date of registration.

For those savings, and considering there is going to be some manufacturer warranty on the card (plus if you know him and something goes wrong I'm sure he will let you have a replacement shipped to his address in the event you need to RMA) so you may even be able to use his EVGA account if needed. I'd probably take it in this situation.

I would only buy parts still under warranty, so I could RMA them out for a pretty much brand new product. But that's just me

Well, I was thinking about the same thing. 

My english isn't my native language but what I can read from the EVGA Warranty Terms it's really complicated to RMA components.

I bought an R9 270 without box and without invoice but the card works fine :P

Buying second hand components is something you should always be careful with. I don't recommend it as I have had a few bad experiences with it in the past.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

@GeekieJuneBug, do you want "som" advice or "some" advice? :D

Couldn't you afford the "e" on "some"? :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I bought an R9 270 without box and without invoice but the card works fine :P

Dang it! That was lucky. :o

Because you are not the original purchaser and he has probably registered the card to his EVGA account, it is likely that the warranty will only apply to the card in your possession for 3 years from the date of manufacture, not the date of registration.

For those savings, and considering there is going to be some manufacturer warranty on the card (plus if you know him and something goes wrong I'm sure he will let you have a replacement shipped to his address in the event you need to RMA) so you may even be able to use his EVGA account if needed. I'd probably take it in this situation.

He is indeed the original purchaser, but, he did not registered the card, and he doesn't even have an EVGA account.

So is this a plus?

He is indeed the original purchaser, but, he did not registered the card, and he doesn't even have an EVGA account.

So is this a plus?

Yeah, if he gives you his original invoice then you can register that shit in your own name with your address and get 3 years warranty from the date on the invoice.

Could turn out a pretty sweet deal this one. :)

@GeekieJuneBug, do you want "som" advice or "some" advice? :D

Couldn't you afford the "e" on "some"? :D

the "e" is just too expensive, no wonder why I buy second-hand components :D

the "e" is just too expensive, no wonder why I buy second-hand components :D

Yeah, you'd think they would've decrease the price by now, $700 just for the letter "e" is just too expensive in my opinion. :P