When Will DDR4 Become Mainstream?

Recently been thinking of upgrading my ram to 16gb and probably keep using this set of ram for a new build in about a years time when I upgrade.

Just wondering if its worth it to invest into ddr3 with ddr4 will become the new standard soon

Does anyone know when ddr4 will become available?

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

Your processor wouldn't support ddr4 anyways I don't think so yes upgrade to 16gb ddr3 if you need it. Hard to say went it will become standard. It will be expensive when it starts to hit market though.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I doubt ddr4 would come out by then, even if it did it probably wont be to much faster in the beginning

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

It will become mainstream when there is the demand for it but for now it is safe to say that in a year, majority of people who own a gaming computer will still have DDR3 memory inside.  Remember DDR4 was supposed to be released a long time ago but the demand for it was not enough to be able to profit.  Also Intel and AMD processors will need some development to be compatible with this new and fast memory.  Also when something like this happens, be ready to drop a butt ton of cash for DDR4 to be up to standards of memory size, you say you want 16GB.  Just think about SSD's, they are being lowered but think about how much it was when launched!  Do be like the people getting ready for the apocalypse and get some DDR3 memory, it will still be good even if DDR4 becomes mainstream in about oh say 2-3 years maybe... 

I think Haswell E will be the first CPUs from Intel to support DDR4, but I don't think anyone can tell right now.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Probably in a few years. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

As soon as the software on the market will be capable of taking advantage of higher speeds will you start to hear the rumblings.  At that point you'll start seeing mobo manufacturers and chip manufacturers building it into their next releases.  At least 2 years.

One of the more relevant things going on right now is the development of RAM designed specifically for RAM Disk purposes that will permanently hold data.  Versus the way it is now where it's just temporary and it has to load into the RAM on start up and save the image back to SSD/HDD at shutdown.

My Stuff:  Corsair Obisidan 550D - Phobya Nano-2G 120mm x 5 - Corsair H100i - MSI Z77A-GD65 Gaming - Intel 3570K - G.Skill 8GBx2 1866 - EVGA ACX GTX 780 3GB SuperClocked(Step Up to 780 Ti) - Samsung 840 500GB SSD - WD Black 1TB x 2 - LG Blu-ray - ASUS VG248QE + ASUS PB278Q - Corsair M65 with MM400 Pad - Ducky Shine II MX Brown with Gray/White Keycaps - Corsair K70 MX Red - CoolerMaster Quickfire TK MX Brown - Ducky Pro2 MX Blue with Gray PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Clears with Gray/Blue PBT Keycaps - Ducky Pro2 MX Browns with Light Gray and White PBT Keycaps

Haswell-E should be the first generation of CPU-s supporting DDR4, and as people stated, it's not like DDR3 is a bottleneck, so 3 years+ before it even becomes viable to go DDR4, just remember that after the DDR3 launch people still used DDR2 because the speed boost was not worth it at first, when x58 chipset came out people stated to go with DDR3, there is no rush for it, so just go with 16 gigs of DDR3

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

If you're worried about RAM speed, get 2800MHz or 2666MHz RAM. DDR4 is probably going to be expensive at first, and not going to come out for quite a while. The actual performance gains from 2400+MHz memory is pretty meagre.