PC just shuts down ?

Joseph Kelly

Okay so my PC is only about 5 months old, i built it myself and there was not a single problem as it wasnt my first build, the computer just turns off, no shutdown screen just from on to everything black, it only seems to happen when im doing things that take up more power like gaming or even skype once or twice. is this a psu problem or something worse ? 

any help would be awesome !

I also know its not heat.. my pc is watercooled and the temps always seem fine ?

Can you list your pc specs? Also what are your (average) "temps" for your cpu and gpu.

What are your PC Specs? 

Click his profile pic you pleb  :P

• CPU
    AMD 8350 @4.6
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte 970a
  • RAM
    16GB Hyper X 1866
  • GPU
    AMD R9 280x
  • Case
    Fractal design R4
  • Storage
    256GB sandisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue
  • PSU
    Corsaie CX750m
  • Display(s)
    32'' LG 75Hz monitor
  • Cooling
    Corsair h80i
  • Keyboard
    Logitech K120
  • Mouse
    TESCO (yes i know...)
  • Sound
    Corsair SP 2500 and Sennheiser CX 400 earbud

AMD Phenom II 965 C3 @3.8GHz / Scythe Ninja III / 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport / MSI 990FXA-GD65 / MSI R9 270x 4GB / EVGA 600W Bronze / Asus Xonar DG

Check your connections. On your PSU and mobo/gpu. Is your psu large enough for the system? The H80i isn't especially good. Make sure the temps are good. It could be a bad mount.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

i check them all last night... as i said i have been using this pc alot for the last 5 months this is only a new thing

Okay so my PC is only about 5 months old, i built it myself and there was not a single problem as it wasnt my first build, the computer just turns off, no shutdown screen just from on to everything black, it only seems to happen when im doing things that take up more power like gaming or even skype once or twice. is this a psu problem or something worse ? 

any help would be awesome !

what were you doing? cause my pc does this exact thing, except i have it set to attempt to reboot after crash. However this only happens when i play AOE III. I have run memtest, Unigen vally, and various other testing software at once and i dont crash, but then when i run prime95 i crash after about 10 mins.

so its highly dependant on the thing your doing, AOE III for example, my gpu (not OC'ed) runs at 55* and my CPU 37*, which from me is toasty, but no where near a crash zone. but it still does because AOE III was made for like windows xp/visa

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

what were you doing? cause my pc does this exact thing, except i have it set to attempt to reboot after crash. However this only happens when i play AOE III. I have run memtest, Unigen vally, and various other testing software at once and i dont crash, but then when i run prime95 i crash after about 10 mins.

so its highly dependant on the thing your doing, AOE III for example, my gpu (not OC'ed) runs at 55* and my CPU 37*, which from me is toasty, but no where near a crash zone. but it still does because AOE III was made for like windows xp/visa

Mainly playing minecraft does it... but i can be streaming games like BF4 or TF2 and it wont crash

Mainly playing minecraft does it... but i can be streaming games like BF4 or TF2 and it wont crash

the stock speed on ur cpu is 3.8 right?

how much extra voltage have you added? and what your cpu cooler/cpu temp while playing minecraft?

EDIT: minecraft is extremly cpu dependant

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

What reason does windows give for the shutdown?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

the stock speed on ur cpu is 3.8 right?

how much extra voltage have you added? and what your cpu cooler/cpu temp while playing minecraft?

EDIT: minecraft is extremly cpu dependant

I have it back down at 3.5 for the last few weeks, i just didnt see the benefit for the extra power

What reason does windows give for the shutdown?

when i turn the pc on again it just boots up fine

after running prime95 for the last 10mins the temp wont go past 56... so i dont think heat is the issue

when i turn the pc on again it just boots up fine

No.

Use the windows event viewer to see the reason why the PC turned off. It will tell you if there was an issue with the overclock, or drivers, or power, or whatever the reason.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No.

Use the windows event viewer to see the reason why the PC turned off. It will tell you if there was an issue with the overclock, or drivers, or power, or whatever the reason.

its says kernel-power system

its says kernel-power system

Ah ok that's the problem. You can find several solutions by just googling 'windows kernel power failure'

First try to revert your overclock to stock settings. If it still happens you need to replace your PSU or your motherboard.

If it stops happening when you remove the overclock, that means there is something you did wrong in the settings such as step speed, or frequency modulation, or something like that.

Spoiler

Ah ok that's the problem. You can find several solutions by just googling 'windows kernel power failure'

First try to revert your overclock to stock settings. If it still happens you need to replace your PSU or your motherboard.

If it stops happening when you remove the overclock, that means there is something you did wrong in the settings such as step speed, or frequency modulation, or something like that.

The overclock has been gone for about two months, i was really hoping this didnt mean a new psu...

i think i know what it might be, can you send me the link of your motherboard, or at least be more specific

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

The overclock has been gone for about two months, i was really hoping this didnt mean a new psu...

Seems like it is an issue with either your PSU or your motherboard. Could you borrow someone's PSU or motherboard to swap and test?

Spoiler

Seems like it is an issue with either your PSU or your motherboard. Could you borrow someone's PSU or motherboard to swap and test?

i have another psu here that im going to try but not a mobo