Which interface do you prefer?

Which interface do you prefer?

I'm talking interface. Not the OS, not the kernel, not the features, not the experience, not the support. Strictly interface.

How many of you stay classic, how many of you have to go modern, no matter what?

Personally I love Aero. It looks sophisticated, not flashy, and is customizable. I think ModernUI is a step back, but it might be just my opinion.

I'd love to hear from you guys!

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

I prefer Aero with Shine 2.0 Theme and different start button.

screen.jpg

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

This. I used Shine a lot back when I used Windows 7.

I generally like the VS that's in Windows 8 by default. Going back to Windows 7 is almost a bit jarring... the glass effects annoy me now.

I have gotten use to Modern UI by now and don't really mind it. It technically does all that the old start menu did.

The only thing that is quite jarring is the transition from desktop to the start menu, personally I would rather have a more fluid animation, but with the start menu hovering "above" the desktop.

Of course I only have Windows 8 on my laptop.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

You sir have the most beautiful desktop ever!

Thanks, i try to keep it as simple and organized as possible. This is my "spring" dektop, not sure yet what kind of background i'll get for the summer :D

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

I put my vote in for Modern with the hope that it will become as full featured and usable as I know Microsoft wants it to be. If executed correctly it can become a very simple and powerful tool. I have been a proponent of this move since the first DevPreview, but will be the first to admit that Microsoft has handled it poorly. And I remind you that for the foreseeable future the Modern UI does not exclude the classic desktop interface. They have a lot to do before they can start to down play it. Control Panel alone, even in 8.1, still needs a lot of TLC.

That said, I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time in the Command Prompt.

Also...How am I the first one to call "bull" on listing "Linux" as an interface. Are we talking Terminal? Gnome? KDE? XFCE? OpenBox? The billion other environments? And where is BSD in all this?

"Practice static safety, hack naked." - Mega Tokyo

i7-3770K, 16GB, Samsung 840PRO, R9-290X, Corsair 650D

Windows 7 for me. I've grown accustomed to it over the last 5 years and I know my way around, no need to ruin my own mojo by switching to 8.

screen.jpg

*-* thats... Pretty sexy

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Also...How am I the first one to call "bull" on listing "Linux" as an interface. Are we talking Terminal? Gnome? KDE? XFCE? OpenBox? The billion other environments? And where is BSD in all this?

Sorry, not very familiar with Linux distributions. Just threw that option into the poll, so nobody's harmed :)

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome

*-* thats... Pretty sexy

thanks, thought i would have to take shit for having flowers on my desktop and my language setting being german :P  I love this forum!

-picture-

That looks awesome!

I just use normal Windows 7 aero.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

thanks, thought i would have to take shit for having flowers on my desktop and my language setting being german :P  I love this forum!

no, it looks good :}

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

That looks pretty sweet! Probably going to try this theme out on Windows 7. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I've gotten used to metro now at this stage so I no longer hate it or miss windows 7, so I guess it takes my vote.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'm using windows 7 with bblean as an alternative shell.

Current Desktop: AMD Phenom II 955 @ 3.8GHz | Cooler Master V8 | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX | ASUS GTX 570 | OCZ ModXStream 700W | Fractal Design Define R4 |
Preferred Programs: Foobar2000 | Firefox - Nightly | MPC-HC | µTorrent 2.2.1 | Hexchat | | Shell & Visual Style: bblean & Windows Classic with 3DCC |

Periferals: BenQ G2420HDB | LG M2262DP | Corsair SP2500 | Corsair K60 | Razer Naga | ATH-M50WH | PS3 | PS2 | Sony Xperia S | iPod Touch 3g 32GB |

I use the windows 7 theme on my main rig, and i like to keep things simple and clean so i only have like 4 icons on there and no addons or other stuff.

I use the windows 2003 interface on my second rig.

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

I really miss having window transparency. I get not having it by default as a design decision, but why remove the functionality altogether? Damn it Microsoft. 

My setup used to be linked here but links aren't allowed so... it shall remain a mystery!

For me its always some form of linux, and i very much like the i3 window manager atm. A customisable window manager that efficiently tiles programs. Great for when using lots of terminal based program. If i was to choose one of the main GUIs for linux it would be XFCE being lightweight and very customisable.

As for when using windows its gui is okay, and i find rainmaker hacky and poorly implemented.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I really miss having window transparency. I get not having it by default as a design decision, but why remove the functionality altogether? Damn it Microsoft.

Here you go: Aero Glass Tweaker (with GUI) / Aero Glass (no GUI)

• 2 weeks later...

looks amazing, what rainmeter skin are you using?

Rainmeter with Omnimo for Weather and Clock/Date and for the displays on the right i use Aida64's SensorPanel