Anyone crossfired R9 270x before?

Phillyphries

I'm just curious as these cards are pretty cheap now. A 270x isn't bad, but what's it like crossfiring two of them?

Better than a 280x?

Are there lots of problems?

I would really like to know lol. I'm not experienced in dual card solutions btw

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Crossfiring two lower end cards is a bad idea. It really isn't worth it. You're better off getting a R9 290 for £40 more (as opposed to 2x 270x which cost £130 each).

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

It's pretty pointless it would be better just saving up for a higher end card

Crossfiring two lower end cards is a bad idea. It really isn't worth it. You're better off getting a R9 290 for £40 more (as opposed to 2x 270x which cost £130 each).

So would you say the performance delta between the R9 290 for $40 more is better than the two crossfired 270x's?

I would think it's way more convenient for sure lol.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

So would you say the performance delta between the R9 290 for $40 more is better than the two crossfired 270x's?

I would think it's way more convenient for sure lol.

The single 290 would be a much better option even if it might be less powerful, go with a 290 and later down the road you can stick another 290 in and get more POWAH!

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

BonBon Scott, on 23 Jul 2014 - 04:13 AM, said:

The single 290 would be a much better option even if it might be less powerful, go with a 290 and later down the road you can stick another 290 in and get more POWAH!

Well, I won't buy either of them, I was just curious as to what the differences were going to be :P

Waiting for dat new AMD architecture lol

Well, I won't buy either of them, I was just curious as to what the differences were going to be :P

Waiting for dat new AMD architecture lol

Ah, okay. Don't forget, we have the 800 series coming soon, if you're interested in Nvidia. 

The rule of thumb however is always go for one high-end card over 2 mid-range cards.

BonBon Scott, on 23 Jul 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:BonBon Scott, on 23 Jul 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Ah, okay. Don't forget, we have the 800 series coming soon, if you're interested in Nvidia. 

The rule of thumb however is always go for one high-end card over 2 mid-range cards.

I always consider going with Nvidia, but AMD always has something cheaper that suits my needs. But 2015 is around my upgrade cycle, so I'm going to be waiting a bit longer anyway.

Yeah I figured, especially since the second card runs at a slower speed anyways. Probably not even worth buying more than a single card unless you're pushing something beyond 1440p.

At this point, it amazes me how great my HD 6870 is still doing. It can still almost max out these new games, and I bought it yeeeaaars ago.

I always consider going with Nvidia, but AMD always has something cheaper that suits my needs. But 2015 is around my upgrade cycle, so I'm going to be waiting a bit longer anyway.

Yeah I figured, especially since the second card runs at a slower speed anyways. Probably not even worth buying more than a single card unless you're pushing something beyond 1440p.

At this point, it amazes me how great my HD 6870 is still doing. It can still almost max out these new games, and I bought it yeeeaaars ago.

Yeah, I'm running a 7750 at the moment, and it really shocked me, it's just such a trooper of a card.

Although, it will be getting retired soon when I build my new rig in 2014 Q4 or 2015 Q1. So, the 800 Series falls right into my lap for me to put in my new rig, perfect :)

With the prices 280s are at now you should be looking at crossfiring those.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Yeah, I'm running a 7750 at the moment, and it really shocked me, it's just such a trooper of a card.

Although, it will be getting retired soon when I build my new rig in 2014 Q4 or 2015 Q1. So, the 800 Series falls right into my lap for me to put in my new rig, perfect :)

It's all in the waiting game, my friend. I don't think AMD can disappoint me though, they really never have haha. But if in some weird case they do, 800 series sounds like a good fall-back plan.

With the prices 280s are at now you should be looking at crossfiring those.

Aren't they back to where they were at when they first launched? Man that litecoin mining fad sucked so hard

It's all in the waiting game, my friend. I don't think AMD can disappoint me though, they really never have haha. But if in some weird case they do, 800 series sounds like a good fall-back plan.

Yeah, I was considering going with an AMD GPU for my next rig, but I decided to go with Nvida for better drivers, better overclocking and cooler temps. The AMD cards are beasts if cooled correctly however.

BonBon Scott, on 23 Jul 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

Yeah, I was considering going with an AMD GPU for my next rig, but I decided to go with Nvida for better drivers, better overclocking and cooler temps. The AMD cards are beasts if cooled correctly however.

Nvidia stability is always a plus. I don't OC my cards though. I always ended up buying cards that are factory OC'd. :wacko:

Aren't they back to where they were at when they first launched? Man that litecoin mining fad sucked so hard

Seeing 280s on sale dirt cheap at same price as a 270X and even a 280X at $299.  These were the prices I was seeing on NCIX Canada.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S