10 Amps from the wall (standard home curcit) Powersupply with 85+ Amps

Most homes in the US are wired for 110 volts at 10 or 15 Amps per circuit. I am looking at power supplies with 80 or more amps available on the 12 volt rail. How is this possible? Where do these amps come from?

Thanks 

110v @ 10 amps is ~1100w.

Typically, a 1100w PSU isn't fully utilized, and they're not commonly maxed out anyways.

The watts don't "come" from anywhere. You pull as much as the breaker allows, and if you go over that limit, you pop the breaker.

Ryan Schrout(sp?) from PCPer was having a problem testing dual R9 295x2 because he was popping the breaker at his lab. That, and he needed a 1500w PSU.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

A PSU may provide 80A, yes, but it will do so with 12V, for example. Wattage = Voltage x Amperage. If you decrease the voltage you can increase the current. It's actually not as simple as that because there is a difference between AC and DC but that is the gist of it.

A PSU may provide 80A, yes, but it will do so with 12V, for example. Wattage = Voltage x Amperage. If you decrease the voltage you can increase the current.

Yes, you can do magical changes with AC power. 120V at 10A is the same 1200w as 12V at 100A. Volts Times Amps = Watts.

[TRUENO] i7 4770k (~4.4Ghz, 1.28v) || Thermalright Macho 120 || Asus Z87 Gryphon || 2x8Gb Mushkin Blackline|| Reference NVIDIA GTX770 || Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB || 2x3TB WD HDD || Corsair 350D || Corsair RM750

Your power supply converts the output from the wall socket.

The equation for voltage, resistance and Current is V=IxR (I being Current)

Power(watts) = Voltage x Current so all one needs to do is increase one of the values in the above equation to increase the 'Power' output.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

That was a lot of replies for a cryptic title :)

I knew watts = volts x amps, but didn't know it was possible to exchange volts for amps.

Thanks everyone! You made it easy to understand :)

I knew watts = volts x amps, but didn't know it was possible to exchange volts for amps.

That's actually the point of the PSU (besides converting AC to DC power), you wouldn't want to feed your PC power at 120V.

It would be more efficient wouldnt int

you wouldn't want to feed your PC power at 120V.

Wouldn't that make it more efficient if PCs were made to run at a higher voltage? 

Higher voltage means less resistance on overhead lines and such.

thanks 

Wouldn't that make it more efficient if PCs were made to run at a higher voltage? 

thanks 

Than there is not enough amps for much to run, most power supplies find a balance of what computers usually need. I don't know enough to tell you wether they would be more efficient but it would certainly reduce the amount of amps going into your computer and reduce what stuff you could run off of that psu.

PC: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/lbrwnie/saved/4iSW

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga

Phone: Moto X Play 16GB White

Than there is not enough amps for much to run, most power supplies find a balance of what computers usually need. I don't know enough to tell you wether they would be more efficient but it would certainly reduce the amount of amps going into your computer and reduce what stuff you could run off of that psu.

The amount of power lost, efficiency wise, is pretty low for most power supplies.

Consider an 80+ power supply, at 50% load or higher, is about 80% efficient with 20% being lost as heat.

Thanks everyone 

I wish we used 220v or what ever a lot of the world uses. That would be a bit more efficient at the wall. Some data centers here in the states use higher volts "from the wall" to the PSU.

To put this into a simple physics theory, a PSU first uses a transformator to transform the 110/230V current into 12V while increasing the amperage. Then it uses a diode with capacitors to change AC from the wall into a pulsating current that is pretty much DC with usually <2% voltage alteration every period.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

It's called a transformer! (On the PSU side, you also need a rectifier to get DC from AC.

thanks 

NO

Electronics is more efficient at low voltages.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!