N64 emulators

red_jelly

Hello gamer people,

i'm wanting to play N64 games and i was just wondering what is the best emulator for PC, that doesnt install adware and such. Also where would i get games?

Links would be much appericated :)

Red

Cpu: 5820K @4.0GHz   Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI    Ram: Patriot Signature 16GB @ 2133   GPU: Gigabyte G1 980  Soundcard: ASUS DX  

Speakers: Logitech Z906 and Astro A40's   Keyboard: Logitech G510

Project64 is one of the best.

EDIT: Linksy: http://www.pj64-emu.com/

Just be careful when downloading it because I think the installer has some options to install crappy toolbars, so you need to uncheck those. Not sure if it got sorted.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Get games here:

NOLINK

You can also get the emulator there. I use Project 64.

Edited by Slick
file sharing site removed

and if you get one of the retrolink controllers that would be good xD

Get games here:

-redacted-

You can also get the emulator there. I use Project 64.

Same site that I get my ROMs at, but I'm also highly inclined that linking them would be against some sort of rules on this board, right?

Most forums if not all that I've been on don't take fondly to the posting of links to ROM sites and generally tell you to google it instead, especially considering that LTT is a business I doubt they'd want something like this on their boards, just saying.

Same site that I get my ROMs at, but I'm also highly inclined that linking them would be against some sort of rules on this board, right?

Most forums if not all that I've been on don't take fondly to the posting of links to ROM sites and generally tell you to google it instead, especially considering that LTT is a business I doubt they'd want something like this on their boards, just saying.

Well, ROMs are free and legal if you have a physical copy of the N64 cartridge. I don't really see anything wrong here.

Well, ROMs are free and legal if you have a physical copy of the N64 cartridge. I don't really see anything wrong here.

No, they are not. When will people fucking learn this. It is against international copyright laws for anyone to share media files of any kind with another person. No matter who owns a physical copy. The law ONLY allows you to take your own physical copy and done things like back it up or convert it to a ROM file. But you can NEVER obtain the ROM file from someone else.

"However, unauthorized distribution of copyrighted code remains illegal, according to both country specific copyright and international copyright law under the Berne Convention.[3] Obtaining games through methods not authorized by the developer or publisher is illegal in the United States."

Notice the "international copyright law", that means the ruling extends outside the US to any country that honors international copyright laws. I clue you in on a little hint, it would be illegal for you to own a physical copy of a game if you lived in a country that does not honor international copyright laws since no company ever legally sells their copyrighted material in those countries.

Also, here is Nintendo's official stance, and they consider any and all ROMs and Emulators to be illegal and a violation of their copyrighted material.

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp#roms

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

No, they are not. When will people fucking learn this. It is against international copyright laws for anyone to share media files of any kind with another person. No matter who owns a physical copy. The law ONLY allows you to take your own physical copy and done things like back it up or convert it to a ROM file. But you can NEVER obtain the ROM file from someone else.

"However, unauthorized distribution of copyrighted code remains illegal, according to both country specific copyright and international copyright law under the Berne Convention.[3] Obtaining games through methods not authorized by the developer or publisher is illegal in the United States."

Notice the "international copyright law", that means the ruling extends outside the US to any country that honors international copyright laws. I clue you in on a little hint, it would be illegal for you to own a physical copy of a game if you lived in a country that does not honor international copyright laws since no company ever legally sells their copyrighted material in those countries.

k.

Just a little side-thought, how can it be 'illegal' to own physical copy of a game in a country that doesn't honor international copyright laws if they do not have a concept of such legislation? Legality is confined to the context of the country enforcing the legislation, if somewhere doesn't recognize any international copyright laws and they have no specific legislation that would deem your physical copy illegal, then it's perfectly legal, regardless of whether or not the company chooses to market their products there.

To anyone who wants to emulate but use their N64 controllers, I recently purchased the May Flash N64 Controller Adapter for USB and it worked great.  It did take some fiddling with Project 64 (make sure you are using all the latest aspects of it) to get the analog stick working correctly though.  But once that was fixed, it was nice not to have more plastic controllers in my big controller bin.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU