Looking to purchase microphone, any advice?

Jessica
Hey there!  :)

I'm looking for a general purpose microphone for daily usage. The main purpose of the microphone will be for skyping/game communication but I also want to use it for potential vocal/acoustic guitar recordings in the future as-well as youtubing. I'm not looking for studio quality but something that is clear and sounds good.

My budget is around $40 - $60. This does not factor in the fact that as I am buying through Amazon and live in Australia I have to pay international shipping fees (around $17). 

I'm currently looking at these microphones:

Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB $47.99

I'm really liking the look of this microphone and it seems to be the best choice at the moment.

Blue Microphones Snowball USB $58.68

Everyone seems to love this microphone however some people are stating that microphones such as the ART2500 are better quality microphones. 

Behringer C-1 USB $54.99

Seems like a decent microphone, however I would have to purchase a stand for it. If the sound quality is vastly superior to the other microphones than I may consider purchasing it.

Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB $34.00

This is incredibly cheap and seems like a great microphone as-well.

Also I am 'looking' at the Samson Meteor Mic for $70 on Amazon, but unless it trumps all the microphones I just listed I dont see the reason I would go with it. Also if anyone has any other microphone suggestions please tell me. :)

At the moment the ATR2500 is looking like the best microphone at the moment, but I would love advice and help on this. I'm not looking for crazy studio quality recordings but I want something that sounds good.

Thanks!

"Pass the Potatoes." - Richard Dawkins

I've only heard good things about the Blue Snowball, not sure about the rest though.

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I've only heard good things about the Blue Snowball, not sure about the rest though.

Yeah I hear a lot of people say the Blue Snowball is a great microphone, I am just wondering if it compares to the ATR-2500 in sound quality.

Anyone have any advice or information? I'm still leaning towards the ATR-2500 over the Snowball.

I can't speak on any of the mics except the Snowball. I do know that the Snowball is exceptional for the price and a buttload of casters, youtube uploaders and people uploading music enjoy it. 

Sounds good to me. Wow might pick one up myself.

Haha it seems like a great pick-up now that it is only $48.

It sounds amazing in this video even without a pop filter. (need to skip into the middle of the video as he switches from his headset microphone to the ATR2500)

I can't speak on any of the mics except the Snowball. I do know that the Snowball is exceptional for the price and a buttload of casters, youtube uploaders and people uploading music enjoy it. 

Yeah it seems everyone uses the Blue Snowball or Yeti within the youtube community which does mean it is a high quality microphone if so many people are purchasing it. However, bandwaggoning on a product, many people forget there are many potential options that might be better within the same price point. Just trying to see if the ATR-2500 is a better option in comparison to the Blue Snowball.

I know I shouldn't be bumping/double posting but I'd just like to know if anyone has any experience with the Samson Meteor Mic compared to the Audio Technica ATR-250 and Behringer C1U?

Hey,

I cant say exactly how they are, but maybe I can help point you in the right direction.

You can generally find at least a few vids on youtube, like above, that can give you an idea of how good those mics are.

I'm in a similar stage of looking at buying a mic. I've found a couple sites which you can find a couple of recordings using some of the mics your looking at that might be of inerest:

http://librivox.org/microphone-showdown-i-wandered-lonely-as-a-cloud-by-william-wordsworth/

http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/guide/usb-microphones-for-voice

I'm sure there are more places like these out there.

Hope that helps!

Hey,

I cant say exactly how they are, but maybe I can help point you in the right direction.

You can generally find at least a few vids on youtube, like above, that can give you an idea of how good those mics are.

I'm in a similar stage of looking at buying a mic. I've found a couple sites which you can find a couple of recordings using some of the mics your looking at that might be of inerest:

http://librivox.org/microphone-showdown-i-wandered-lonely-as-a-cloud-by-william-wordsworth/

http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/guide/usb-microphones-for-voice

I'm sure there are more places like these out there.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the help. :)

In the end I went with the ATR-2500. Will most likely get a stand and shock mount in the future if I like it. :)

Thanks again everyone. :)