What is bigger?

What is bigger? infinity or pi with no decimal (314 instead of 3.14).

this is a theoretical question that is very difficult to answer bu its fun to see what people think.

PI

post-7522-0-23758700-1369133763.jpg

Infinity (sort of*)

post-7522-0-73919700-1369133769.png

*means that the sum of the infinite series diverges in the specific sense that the partial sums grow without bound.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Infinity isn't a number, it is a concept. The decimal digits of pi without the decimal place would fall under the umbrella of "infinity" because it contains an infinite amount of information.

So yeh, neither of them.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

you cant proof how long PI is and infinity has no value. So...there is no answer.

bout are uncountable {therefore bout are 'infinite'}

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

Neither as they are in all sense both infinite. 

tumblr_lgf51wn8bv1qh461co1_1280.jpg

If you want a brain bender check out Graham's number. Here is a good video to explain it too:

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Nothing can be equal or bigger than Infinity. You simply can't reach it.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

tumblr_lgf51wn8bv1qh461co1_1280.jpg

If you want a brain bender check out Graham's number. Here is a good video to explain it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTeJ64KD5cg

Dat numberphile

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Nothing can be equal or bigger than Infinity. You simply can't reach it.

Some infinities can be larger than others i.e. the sum of all integers in an infinite series is larger than the largest number in that series.

Since Infinity is a concept, lets think of it this way.

The numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0 can be arranged in any order, in any number of integers unrestricted to 'reach' infinity. [Numerical Infinity](1)

Pi is essentially 3 with a string of decimals formed with the infinity above with 3 falling under infinity(1) and it's string of decimals under infinity(1) as well. [Pi decimal infinity](2)

So i'm going with Infinity (1)[Numerical] bigger than Infinity (2)[Pi]

And coincidentally.. 666th post!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elvOZm0d4H0

I would say the second because it's equal to π*10∞ (what a debatable point of view I picked  :D)

Some infinities can be larger than others i.e. the sum of all integers in an infinite series is larger than the largest number in that series.

Nah, you can't describe infinity with numbers so this isn't applicable.

Infinite is infinite. Half of infinity is still infinite. Infinity+1 is still infinite

As to the question, I would say infinite because you literally cannot go any higher than infinite

But then again, like already said in this thread, pi also goes on infinitely BUT pi is describable in numbers, which infinite is not.

I didn't read into this issue though so I'm probably looking at this way too simply

Infinite is infinite. Half of infinity is still infinite. Infinity+1 is still infinite

well, actually some infinity (when not dealing with limits, limits don't make any difference between them) are bigger than others. While addictions and multiplication do not change the "value" of the limit" things like power can (or !∞, good luck with that xD).

As to the question, I would say infinite because you literally cannot go any higher than infinite

But then again, like already said in this thread, pi also goes on infinitely BUT pi is describable in numbers, which infinite is not.

I didn't read into this issue though so I'm probably looking at this way too simply

if you cant describe infinity numerically, how else can you describe it?

You sort of can. Some infinities are larger than others, and some are simply uncountable.

"It's not the length but the girth that matters" -Linus

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

you cant proof how long PI is and infinity has no value. So...there is no answer.

No proof? Zero proof?

Infinity has no value? Zero value?

PI AND INFINITY = ZERO! I FOUND WHAT IS BIGGER! NEITHER! :D What do I win?! 

No proof? Zero proof?

Infinity has no value? Zero value?

PI AND INFINITY = ZERO! I FOUND WHAT IS BIGGER! NEITHER! :D What do I win?! 

+1 internets

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

But the Internet is infinite, therefor has no value...so I get nothing :(

finally somone understands, have +2 internets

finally somone understands, have +2 internets

Can I at least borrow the Tardis?

Can I at least borrow the Tardis?

NO. look but dont touch.