Budget AM3+ Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

I plan to upgrade this build after 1 or 2 years.. and my budget is $700-$800...about the MSI board I heard some negative feedbacks and reviews ...Is it reliable?

1 up on msi 970a-g46, I have the g43 version ( only difference is that it doesn't support SLI) and it's a great budget board

personally I use a MSI 970A-G46. It is really cheap and supports Crossfire/SLI and has overclocking capabilities (which I do use). No complaints for the motherboard whatsoever, especially as I used it for a $700 build in April of 2013. I also personally would recommend you swap the harddrive to a seagate barracuda 2TB, which is roughly similar in pricing, it has better capacity and better reliability that WD Drives (in my personal experience owning several of both)

Do you have plans to upgrade this build as you continue on? and do you have a set budget for the parts?

I wouldn't say so for the MSI 970 boards, here's a fantastic database on OC.net.

My build suggestion;

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.79 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $746.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Hey guys...This is my first build and I'm in a dilemma between choosing the right motherboard.
These are the motherboards that I'm considering:
Asrock 990FX Killer
Gigabyte 990FXA- UD3
Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

The specs of the computer I'm building :

AMD FX 6300

Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 

Corsair CX500

WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm

NZXT H230

Gainward GTX 770

Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Hope that helps...

Do you guys have a better suggestion for the build and the mobo?

i love the ud3 overclocks like a champ with the fiances 8350 love the looks

Main Rig: CPU: 3570k Mobo: ga-z77x-ud5h-wb :RAM: 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 :gpu crossfire amd 290's Case: zalman z9 plus Cooler: h80i p/p SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb wd green 4tb seagate desktop                                              

Girlfirends: CPU: 8350 Mobo 990fxa-ud3 Ram 8gb kingson ddr3 1600 gpu: his 7850 case: inwin dragon rider SSD: nutron 120gb HDD: 2tb seagate                                                                                                                                         

personally I use a MSI 970A-G46. It is really cheap and supports Crossfire/SLI and has overclocking capabilities (which I do use). No complaints for the motherboard whatsoever, especially as I used it for a $700 build in April of 2013. I also personally would recommend you swap the harddrive to a seagate barracuda 2TB, which is roughly similar in pricing, it has better capacity and better reliability that WD Drives (in my personal experience owning several of both)

Do you have plans to upgrade this build as you continue on? and do you have a set budget for the parts?

1 up on msi 970a-g46, I have the g43 version ( only difference is that it doesn't support SLI) and it's a great budget board

personally I use a MSI 970A-G46. It is really cheap and supports Crossfire/SLI and has overclocking capabilities (which I do use). No complaints for the motherboard whatsoever, especially as I used it for a $700 build in April of 2013. I also personally would recommend you swap the harddrive to a seagate barracuda 2TB, which is roughly similar in pricing, it has better capacity and better reliability that WD Drives (in my personal experience owning several of both.

I plan to upgrade this build after 1 or 2 years.. and my budget is $700-$800...about the MSI board I heard some negative feedbacks and reviews ...Is it reliable?

Hey guys...This is my first build and I'm in a dilemma between choosing the right motherboard.

These are the motherboards that I'm considering:

Asrock 990FX Killer

Gigabyte 990FXA- UD3

Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0

The specs of the computer I'm building :

AMD FX 6300

Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb 1600mhz DDR3 

Corsair CX500

WD Blue 1TB 7200 rpm

NZXT H230

Gainward GTX 770

Cooler Master Hyper 212X

Hope that helps...

Do you guys have a better suggestion for the build and the mobo?

Of those two the Gigabyte & ASUS.

The MSI has a 4 phase VRM which is not that good for overclocking, for 6 & 8 core at least an 8 phase VRM with a heatsink.

@13242

You can go for the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P if you want to go with 8 phase VRM and cooled, but on the cheap ;)

I wouldn't say so for the MSI 970 boards, here's a fantastic database on OC.net.

My build suggestion;

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($184.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($59.79 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $746.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available