Google experimenting with major redesign of Chrome OS

Dietrichw

Source

7-18-2014_chromium_os_athena.jpg

Google has made attempts in the past to unify the design of its various properties with varying degrees of success. Material Design, which is major part of the upcoming Android L release, may be its most coherent effort to date. The new look is expected to touch every corner of Google's catalog, and Chrome OS will be part of that revamp. A screen shot posted by Chromium evangelist François Beaufort on Google+ shows the very early fruits of Athena, an effort to "bring a new kind of user experience" to Mountain View's desktop OS.

While the redesign is clearly in the very early stages, you can see the important elements of Material Design at work. Everything is flat and paper like, but exists in a three-dimensional space, complete with less-than-subtle drop shadows. You can compile a copy of Chromium OS yourself to give Athena a test run, but we'd hold out for a more complete version.

they did a great move by trying to make android apps work on chrome OS

the next step is actually having native apps

and maybe a "unsigned" app aka non store apps

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Might do a build when I get home. Looks like it may be promising.

I wish they'd stop changing stuff every 5 minutes, they've absolutely ruined Gmail for me. I dont need to see the last 10 pages of the "conversation" when I'm looking at a damned email.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Chrome OS was so similar looking to Windows.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.