Which CPU should i buy?

Cokeman

So I'm looking to build a gaming pc for about $1200. I have been mostly a console gamer but lately I have been getting into some pc games (Dayz being the biggest right now).  So I'm trying to decide between the AMD FX 8350 or the Intel Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.8ghz and a Corsair H100i. Now if i got the FX eventually I would also get a H100i and overclock that to 4.8-5ghz. The thing that I really like about the Pentium is since its a LGA 1150 socket eventually i can upgrade do an I7 4790K. Here's the link for the two builds. AMD http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnfD7P Intel http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HhQhFT  I would greatly appreciate to hear which you think is better. Also please no Intel fanboy biased opinions. Thanks :)

I think you should just get an i5-4690k, the G3258 will have trouble catching up to some games plus the AMD processor has a bad IPC.

So I'm looking to build a gaming pc for about $1200. I have been mostly a console gamer but lately I have been getting into some pc games (Dayz being the biggest right now).  So I'm trying to decide between the AMD FX 8350 or the Intel Pentium G3258 overclocked to 4.8ghz and a Corsair H100i. Now if i got the FX eventually I would also get a H100i and overclock that to 4.8-5ghz. The thing that I really like about the Pentium is since its a LGA 1150 socket eventually i can upgrade do an I7 4790K. Here's the link for the two builds. AMD http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NnfD7P Intel http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HhQhFT  I would greatly appreciate to hear which you think is better. Also please no Intel fanboy biased opinions. Thanks :)

I'd actually go with an i5 4690k for what you're doing.  The G3258 won't be great for heavily threaded things like Battlefield, and the FX8350 wouldn't be great for single-core gaming.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

Intel Core i7-5970X or Intel Xeon E7-8895 v2

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Intel Core i7-5970X or Intel Xeon E7-8895 v2

Both great CPU choices....if you're Elon Musk.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

AnnoyedShelf an I5 4690k is too expensive for my budget right now if i could afford it i probably would get that.

If you go intel I would really suggest going with a Z97 board as the 87's don't like the newer chips, also if you are not going to be running SLI you could dial the psu back a bit and use that extra money elsewhere, that might be enough to swing the i5

OAS || AAS || LLS

If you go intel I would really suggest going with a Z97 board as the 87's don't like the newer chips, also if you are not going to be running SLI you could dial the psu back a bit and use that extra money elsewhere, that might be enough to swing the i5

If you looked at my builds with the links provided then you would have seen that I am going with a Z97 chipset.

Do you plan on using SLI in the future? If you're planning on SLI 760, I personally would recommend against the idea of buying a 760 now and SLI it later. It's better to buy a single more powerful graphics card now and choose a cheaper power supply and what not to offset the cost. I also would like to point out you're putting an expensive CPU cooler on the cheap G3258 and no aftermarket cooler on the 8350 which generates a lot more heat and draws more power than an over clocked G3258. In this case it would be better to just drop the H100i and go with a better intel processor while using a stock cooler. Personally I would recommend a totally different build.

You gotta do you girl. I always say you gotta do you. And if he's doing him, then who's doing you? Because right now, it seems like no one's doing you.

- Stefani Stilton (she / her) 🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍⚧️

Do you plan on using SLI in the future? If you're planning on SLI 760, I personally would recommend against the idea of buying a 760 now and SLI it later. It's better to buy a single more powerful graphics card now and choose a cheaper power supply and what not to offset the cost. I also would like to point out you're putting an expensive CPU cooler on the cheap G3258 and no aftermarket cooler on the 8350 which generates a lot more heat and draws more power than an over clocked G3258. In this case it would be better to just drop the H100i and go with a better intel processor while using a stock cooler. Personally I would recommend a totally different build.

Yes i do plan on using sli. Sli 760s preform as well as a 780. You need a good cooler on the pentium if you are over clocking. And i would be putting a h100i on the fx in the future when i over clock it. the stock cooler works just fine if you are not over clocking. I can't get a better intel it doesn't fit my budget. The pentium and the h100i are still cheaper then a i5 4690k. And the power supply that is a good price for that i like having a bigger power supply to have upgrade and over clocking room. What build would you recommend?

You want to create a 1200$ build, and you're planning on using Pentium K + 760... Also, if you're planning on gaming, don't go wireless, unless you have to (like me...) and can't access the internet cable.

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($339.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.98 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN851ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter  ($22.40 @ Amazon)

Total: $1145.32

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

As for Win 8 key, try here: https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-8-professional-32-64-bit-cd-key-global.html

I personally haven't used them since i have Win 7 and i don't need to upgrade to Win 8 (maybe Win 9 will be good enough to warrant an upgrade O.o), so ask around :)

EDIT: That PSU and Mobo are for future CF :D

Yes i do plan on using sli. Sli 760s preform as well as a 780. You need a good cooler on the pentium if you are over clocking. And i would be putting a h100i on the fx in the future when i over clock it. the stock cooler works just fine if you are not over clocking. I can't get a better intel it doesn't fit my budget. The pentium and the h100i are still cheaper then a i5 4690k. And the power supply that is a good price for that i like having a bigger power supply to have upgrade and over clocking room. What build would you recommend?

I would suggest an i5-4690K. The system is about $5 more than the AMD build linked in the OP. The psu is sufficient to SLI two GTX 760. The motherboard has dual band a/b/g/n/ac WiFi on-board. Bluetooth as well.

The Hyper 212 EVO will provide decent overclocks. Given the power of the cpu any oc is just gravy.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($210.00 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($202.99 @ NCIX US)

Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($71.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ NCIX US)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card  ($239.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($99.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1164.88

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Don't use Corsair RAM, it's overexpensive

Ditch the ODD if you don't really need it

Ditch the Wireless adapter unless you don't have hard wired ethernet available.

Go for a crucial MX100 512 GB instead of the HDD and 840 EVO, get an HDD later if you fill up that drive.

Get your windows key from G2A.com, save 80 dollars.

Put that money saved towards a 4690k. Your build might have to wait a few weeks for you to get all the cash for the better CPU together, but it will definitely be worth it for you.

Assuming you don't need any peripherals, and ODD, or a WIFI adapter, It  comes to 1225 Dollars American

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7pqWzy

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You want to create a 1200$ build, and you're planning on using Pentium K + 760... Also, if you're planning on gaming, don't go wireless, unless you have to (like me...) and can't access the internet cable.

Try this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($72.00 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($339.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($107.00 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN851ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter  ($22.40 @ Amazon)

Total: $1145.32

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

As for Win 8 key, try here: https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-8-professional-32-64-bit-cd-key-global.html

I personally haven't used them since i have Win 7 and i don't need to upgrade to Win 8 (maybe Win 9 will be good enough to warrant an upgrade O.o), so ask around :)

EDIT: That PSU and Mobo are for future CF :D

This is a great build and i would love to do it but I need it to be $1200 including the os

This is a great build and i would love to do it but I need it to be $1200 including the os

Yeah, and on G2A the OS is around 20$~, and if my math is correct, 1.145,32$+20$~=1.165,32$~, and 1.165,32$~<1.200$...

Yeah, and on G2A the OS is around 20$~, and if my math is correct, 1.145,32$+20$~=1.165,32$~, and 1.165,32$~<1.200$...Bu

But I still need the cds to install the files thats just the key.

But I still need the cds to install the files thats just the key.

No you don't, you can download it onto a USB drive and install with that

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

No you don't, you can download it onto a USB drive and install with that

But don't you have to pay for the download?

But don't you have to pay for the download?

You don't have to pay for the download itself, you pay for the key. You enter your key into some spot on the microsoft website i think, and it lets you download what's needed to install windows from a usb

You don't have to pay for the download itself, you pay for the key. You enter your key into some spot on the microsoft website i think, and it lets you download what's needed to install windows from a usb

Where do you get the download from?

Where do you get the download from?

I believe it's somewhere on the microsoft website. God knows where, it's a horrible website. I don't personally know, ask around, a bunch of people use it, so somebody must know

Btw, windows keys are FIFTEEN dollars right now

I believe it's somewhere on the microsoft website. God knows where, it's a horrible website. I don't personally know, ask around, a bunch of people use it, so somebody must know

Btw, windows keys are FIFTEEN dollars right now

They have a download but its $120

post-107252-0-01715600-1405729650_thumb.

They have a download but its $120

Nonono, you want to buy from G2a.com and use that code with these steps

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

(i think that's it, at least)