Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition or iPad Air?

Ryou-kun

First of all, I am not trying to start a flame war or anything. I need help on deciding two different type of tablets for my school use, college to be exact.

Here is what I will be using each of the tablet for. I will be using it for school use as I have mention. I will be taking notes in class using a pen and maybe type an essay/short story/etc with a separate bluetooth portable keyboard that is rechargeable, watching YouTube, watching Twitch, checking emails, checking Facebook, checking Twitters, and other things. My budget is between $450 to $600. What is everyone's opinions?

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition

- Taking a handwritten notes with the S-Pen

- Using Multiscreen (I doubt I will use it often because it is stuck to Samsung's Apps or Apps that are already designed for it.

- Palm Rejection

- Pretty good resolution

- Decent Camera (but I only use it take quick pictures on a board that my Instructor wrote on it)

* Lacks a lot of good tablet Apps (QQ)

* 7GB Bloatwares

* Felt like a 10" screen phone due to the lack of Apps as I have mention (But I heard rumors there will be more tablet apps coming in)

iPad Air

- A lot of great "tablet" apps

- Amazing battery life (IMO)

- Pretty weightless

- Great for reading eTexts/eBooks because of that ratio

- Bloatware Free

- Makes me feel diverse to use three different OS (Windows 8 PC, Nexus 5 and an iPad Air)

* Lack of good pen input

* Lacks of multiscreen (but not sure if the new iOS 8 would fix that)

* Lack of palm rejection

In the end, the pricing are similar if I add it up, and I will be purchasing at Best Buy along with their 1 year Warranty. I know I am going to get bash on this, but I need a tablet as soon as I buy and Best Buy seem like a good option.

Right now, I am stuck in the middle and cannot decide which side to fall for. I do have experience on both OS (iOS and Android) Platform. Again, I am not trying to start flame war and BS stuff. I am just a college student that is in need to find a tablets for school use. I know that some of you guys would ask me to buy a W8 tablet or Windows laptop. I would if I haven't already own a W8 laptop, and I don't feel like owning another laptop that I will just leave it on my desk in a dust. 

If anyone have additional questions, feel free to reply it, and I will try to answer it. 

Thank you.

Well imo go with the ipad air, I've been using an ipad for like 3 years now, love the battery life and design of the tablet + OS

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Personally, I would choose the iPad air, there are some decent styluses you can buy though not as good as the samsung note, It will still allow you to make hand written notes pretty easily. 

There are loads of great apps for the iPad and its build quality weight and battery life should prove valuable to a student. it is also very portable and should not be a burden to carry around. There are also an absolute wealth of keyboards and accessories available giving you some great choices!!!

Alternatively a surface RT is like THE perfect student device IMO, as it gives you proper word, excel, one note etc all for free! 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just a correction all ios devices has had palm rejection/thumb rejection since ios 6 when the iPad mini came out.

I would recommend the iPad; you seem to have a slight favoring of the iPad lol

Alternatively a surface RT is like THE perfect student device IMO, as it gives you proper word, excel, one note etc all for free! 

That is true, but Surface RT/Surface 2 felt a bit thick for me to carry around. I know it isn't a big deal but the most important about tablet is being comfortable carrying it around and carry it one hand while reading an eText/eBooks while laying on a bed. 

Just a correction all ios devices has had palm rejection/thumb rejection since ios 6 when the iPad mini came out.

Really? iOS devices has palm rejection? Damn, I didn't even know that.

Yeah, about the last part. It does sound like I am having a slight favoring for the iPad but lacking a good pen input is a bit downer for me. I know I could spend additional $70 dollar for a pen that support it. :S

Shut it and get the Note. I personally own it and I'll say it's much better than the Air. 

Split-Screen functionality is limited, but it does work with many mainstream applications including Gmail, Youtube, Chrome, etc.

7GB of bloat? 32GB version costs $500. 

Most apps I use are optimized for Tablets. 

Get it. Get it now. NOW 

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

Shut it and get the Note. I personally own it and I'll say it's much better than the Air. 

Get it. Get it now. NOW 

^ DAT signature 

^ DAT signature

Problem?

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

huh?  it's news to me!   it sure hell doesn't reject my palm when using a stylus.

Go with neither. I don't like Samsung and Apple.

Get the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet, LG G Pad 8.3, or Nexus 7 2013.

EDIT: I suppose you can get the Note 10.1 2014 too. Just root it, flash a custom ROM (CM11) and say sayonara to bloat. With a custom ROM (preferably CM) you could get better performance and battery life. I just don't like Samsung because they copy shit, make a bloated version of Android, and a slow, bad-looking Android skin "TouchWiz".

Toshiba Satellite C50 (A167)

• Intel Pentium 2020M (Ivy Bridge, IHD 3000)
  • 8GB DDR3 (4x2)
  • 500GB Toshiba Slim 5400RPM
  • Win10 Pro x64

Huawei P8 (GRA-UL10)

• HiSilicon Kirin 935 (arm64)
  • Android 6.0 (EMUI 4.0, TWRP 3, Sysless SuperSU)
  • 3GB RAM, 64GB NAND + 64GB SanDisk Ultra mSD

Go with neither. I don't like Samsung and Apple.

Get the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet, LG G Pad 8.3, or Nexus 7 2013.

EDIT: I suppose you can get the Note 10.1 2014 too. Just root it, flash a custom ROM (CM11) and say sayonara to bloat. With a custom ROM (preferably CM) you could get better performance and battery life. I just don't like Samsung because they copy shit, make a bloated version of Android, and a slow, bad-looking Android skin "TouchWiz".

Well, I have to go with either Samsung or Apple tablets for my college use.

Yes, I can grab other tablets, but they don't have things that Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition and that has the S-Pen. 

While on other hand on an iPad, well, let say it allows me to have a diverse technology devices rather sticking with one OS. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I do get bored if every devices that I see (Android) are the same.

Sadly, I don't plan to root my tablets.

Man, as more I think about those two tablet, the more stuck I am.

I do want an iPad because it is a different OS and device in my selection, but I don't like the part that it makes me feel like I am joining other students on campus that are using an iPad for their college. At the same time, I want the Note 10.1 to be different from those guys.

-sigh-

Oh yeah, if any of you guys are a student currently, do you guys use an iPad or Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition? If so, how do you guys get by in college?

Maybe everyone's short stories (experience) might allow me to make a decision.

Nexus 7>All

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8