Windows 8.1 thinks my desktop is a laptop

joenewbie

It's giving me a power bar in the tray telling me my battery is at 100%, although I have no battery as this is a desktop computer.  Is this normal or should I just get rid of the notification?  It doesn't make sense it's in the tray like that in my view and makes me wonder if it even recognizes the difference between a battery operated device from one that isn't. 

Something simelar happened when I was running Ubuntu on my system, but It fixed itself when I installed the proprietary graphics driver. Sorry that I was unable to be of more help. Maybe it has something to do with energy saving settings. Did you use a Windows disk from Dell or another manufacturer when you installed Windows?

Nope, bought the key and downloaded 8.1 directly from MS.   I just installed the latest graphics drivers though for my card,  I'll see if it sticks around after a few reboots, if it does I'll ask again here or MS directly.   I set the power settings for High Performance but it still asked me how long I want the screen on when using "battery power" which is very odd. 

i havent experienced this with windows 8/ 8.1, but this happens when a computer detects a connected UPS comm connection

Ahhh, now that makes sense. Need to install the UPS power conditioning/monitoring software.  That makes sense now, sort of.  Why it would need to tell me the power status of the UPS I dunno. 

Ahhh, now that makes sense. Need to install the UPS power conditioning/monitoring software.  That makes sense now, sort of.  Why it would need to tell me the power status of the UPS I dunno.

I am sure it is something that some people would like to know, when they lose power :)

You can remove the icon if you want.