Should i really upgrade?

Yuval

I've been thinking about upgrading my PC for a long time, about two years i have planned to upgrade to a new CPU, mobo, psu and etc...

But looking at videos, benchmarks and i am unsure of how much performance will i gain...

My current build has an I5 2400, an Asus P8P67M - PRO (MATX) Sapphire 7950 Vapor x OC, 8 GB DDR3 1600 mhz RAM (2X4, 4 sticks of 2 GB) and a poor seasonic 620W 80+ bronze, semi modular. 

My line of though was, that my CPU is the PC's weakest link, being outdated, and as i play what i believe to be CPU heavy games, ArmA 2/3 and DayZ SA - I may aswell get the shiniest CPU around, a 4770K, but videos i've seen show that you barely get a couple of frames from a 4770K and a 4670K, haven't seen a ArmA benchmark, but on BF4 at least it does.

Also, My motherboard is outdated, no USB 3.0 front connections, no fan controlls which i really want, and the capability to OC my CPU, as i have a Corsair H60 (i don't even...) I though a good mobo to have will be the Asus Z97 - A, seeing the features which i like, and the 5 way optimization on paper seems cool, also price difference from the cheapest Z97 Asus mobo isn't that huge. 

And my PSU... I just want a higher quality one, with more connections, my PSU only has one 8 pin, which my GPU requires two, so i have to use ugly molex adapters.

But this seems like a waste of money really, will i get much increase in performance, for my usage? And also if you had the option to upgrade this pc as your own, what would you upgrade? I want to know my PC's weakest links, so i can improve upon. 

Thanks for any feedback! 

:/

If you have the money I would personally build a new rig, but if your on a budget just upgrade yours. Move to an i7 and get a better gpu.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

CPU and GPU are the weak links

But since you will need a new board, new psu etc you may aswell sell what you have and build a whole new rig

If you have the money I would personally build a new rig, but if your on a budget just upgrade yours. Move to an i7 and get a better gpu.

I am already planning to sell my motherboard, CPU, and PSU for the price of a new CPU, so what you are suggesting is my plan, but i don't see how replacing my GPU is needed, i can slap a R9 280 which would work just fine... Right?

I want to know my PC's weakest links

CPU and GPU are the weak links

But since you will need a new board, new psu etc you may aswell sell what you have and build a whole new rig, I dont think a CPU upgrade would make that much difference for you vs the cost

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This upgrade is a vialble option for me right now, and as close as it gets to a new PC.

I5 2400 > I7 4770K

Asus P8P67M - Pro (MATX) > Asus Z97- A (ATX)

620W 80+ Bronze semi modular > 660W 80+ Platinum Fully modular

Sapphire 7950 Vapor X OC   +   Sapphire R9 280X Vapor X OC (astetics compared to 280, same design and back-plate)

Possibly extra storage, I have a 120 GB SSD ( Samsung EVO) and a 500GB WD Black, but nothing i must have. 

I wouldn't recommend upgrading, it's not worth the money @ all at the moment.

What FPS's on which game's under which graphic options do u get? Or are you fine atm and just "want sth." which u find cool but don't really need?

I get pretty good FPS on games as BF4 (ultra, no Vsync, AA and HBAO thingy) Arma 2 i get on very high with no shadows and 1.5KM view distance, abit less and some option dropped. Arma 3... Can't get it to look good with smooth FPS. other intensive games i don't run on the finest graphical settings, the difference is noticeable from ultra. But nothing outragiously low.

I get pretty good FPS on games as BF4 (ultra, no Vsync, AA and HBAO thingy) Arma 2 i get on very high with no shadows and 1.5KM view distance, abit less and some option dropped. Arma 3... Can't get it to look good with smooth FPS. other intensive games i don't run on the finest graphical settings, the difference is noticeable from ultra. But nothing outragiously low.

I can't see your point then. Of course, if you really want to spend the money, ok go for it. But me personally, I would wait for Broadwell CPU's and the next g-cards.

I can't see your point then. Of course, if you really want to spend the money, ok go for it. But me personally, I would wait for Broadwell CPU's and the next g-cards.

But will the next gen CPU's will have the performance boost worth waiting for? so far CPU generations have had a 10% increase per clock speed, I can't see why i should wait. And next gen cards... I can't afford removing a 7950, it's solid, but i do want abit more performance, so this gen seems like the best time for me to make an upgrade. 7950 CFX will have more then enough power to run games on the highest settings at 1080p, i think.

This upgrade is a vialble option for me right now, and as close as it gets to a new PC.

I5 2400 > I7 4770K

Asus P8P67M - Pro (MATX) > Asus Z97- A (ATX)

620W 80+ Bronze semi modular > 660W 80+ Platinum Fully modular

Sapphire 7950 Vapor X OC +Sapphire R9 280X Vapor X OC (astetics compared to 280, same design and back-plate)

Possibly extra storage, I have a 120 GB SSD ( Samsung EVO) and a 500GB WD Black, but nothing i must have. 

A 7950 to a 280X isn't really much of an upgrade considering you could easily just oc the 7950 to 280x speeds. What you could do is go on ebay and look for used r9 290s. A lot of people are selling them now ever since Bitcoins and litecoins lost a lot of their value.

Life.exe is missing

A 7950 to a 280X isn't really much of an upgrade considering you could easily just oc the 7950 to 280x speeds. What you could do is go on ebay and look for used r9 290s. A lot of people are selling them now ever since Bitcoins and litecoins lost a lot of their value.

I am going to crossfire both, not replace one with the other :P

I am going to crossfire both, not replace one with the other :P

Oh then yeah go for it :)

Life.exe is missing

their is no point going from 7950 to 280x since you can almost oc the 7950 close to that performance, if you go for the 290(x) i can recommend that.

if your only purpose is gaming for this rig than the i7 will be waste of money since you don't use the hyperthreading,

so the best option for cpu is I5-3570K if the advantage will be big enough since its only 300mhz more and supports 1600 ram instead 1333.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52207,65520 the link if you want to see the compare

the 620watt psu you already got is still good enough to run the full upgrade even to i7 since your not gonna use 85% to 95% of the psu going to platinum will not make that much of a change

the 120gb ssd is good for os and few most used programs but the 500gb is on the low side since 1tb and 2 tb drives come very close to that pricepoint and they fill up very fast.

the motherboard is one of the most best upgrades in your list if you are going to use the extra features ?

you don't have to follow my post but this is what i think that you should consider it is still up to you for making a decision worth it all that for so little.

their is no point going from 7950 to 280x since you can almost oc the 7950 close to that performance, if you go for the 290(x) i can recommend that.

if your only purpose is gaming for this rig than the i7 will be waste of money since you don't use the hyperthreading,

so the best option for cpu is I5-3570K if the advantage will be big enough since its only 300mhz more and supports 1600 ram instead 1333.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/52207,65520 the link if you want to see the compare

the 620watt psu you already got is still good enough to run the full upgrade even to i7 since your not gonna use 85% to 95% of the psu going to platinum will not make that much of a change

the 120gb ssd is good for os and few most used programs but the 500gb is on the low side since 1tb and 2 tb drives come very close to that pricepoint and they fill up very fast.

the motherboard is one of the most best upgrades in your list if you are going to use the extra features ?

you don't have to follow my post but this is what i think that you should consider it is still up to you for making a decision worth it all that for so little.

I'm not replacing a 7950 with a 280X, I am going to crossfire both :)

About CPU, i have been considering getting a 4670K instead of a I7, but the whole I7 better for everything concept is something i can't ignore, even if wrong, the fact it's a I7 makes me want it :)

PSU is somethign i am going to replace, no question about it, it lacks connections for GPU's and is just bad, i want a good looking fully modular one. And about storage, i've never used more then 400GB on my HDD, i now have 270GB left on the HDD and 30GB on my SSD, that is after stuffing both with all i need. I can't see myself using more, unless for recording.