windows 8.1 vs windows 7

nyler

Hello. I need help. Since i've got windows 8.1 pro from microsoft i was wondering is it worth to install it over windows 7 ultimate? both x64? I use my PC for games like CS:GO,LoL... nothing too hard...and some programming things like visual studio, netbeans... so i would ask what do you prefer? staying with windows 7 or upgrading to windows 8.1?

PC specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H 
amd phenom ii x4 955 black edition
sapphire hd 7850 dual x
16GB hyperx 1600mhz
OS disk: SSD samsung evo

+ 2x2TB WD Caviar black

Thanks for your answers (:

For your uses and if you're fine with 7 I'd stick with 7 but that's just me.

However seeing as you have 8.1 for free perhaps install it on a spare drive and try it out before committing to a full migration.

8.1 is much faster and with windows 8 start menu program it works just like 7.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

All down to personal opinion, I personally cant stand 8.1 on desktop, to clunky and awkward to get tasks done, so I'd opt for 7 over 8.1. But 8.1 does have a performance boost, but like I say, personal preference.

thanks for all your answers. i really dont care about metro and things in windows 8.1. i asked because i have tested windows 8.1 in early stages of release and i was just erorrs, shutdowns. So in this perspective is windows 8.1 fixed now? 
And how are the drivers?

Check the version of the Visual Studio you're using whether it support Win8 or not (though I think it's safe to assume it support).

Other than that, it's up to you... Some like it, some will not... personally, I can't recommend Windows 8 up until now even though I like it.

edit: Drivers are fine with me, it was errors and shutdowns for me on customer preview as well but since it officially released to market everything is smooth for me...

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Depends if you want to wipe our whole system or not. 

Try it out first and use a program that simulates the Windows 7 start-button like Start8.

thanks for all your answers. i really dont care about metro and things in windows 8.1. i asked because i have tested windows 8.1 in early stages of release and i was just erorrs, shutdowns. So in this perspective is windows 8.1 fixed now? 

And how are the drivers?

Still some issues. It's more older boards run into trouble with drivers because there weren't any anvailable for 8.1. In short ms is still patching it to dead. Like wait for 8.99 and they readd the startmenu just for the whiners.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I have system on ssd so ill format only ssd. i really dont want to lose time with swaping back to windows 7 . 

I went to check driver compatibility for all things(motherboard, gpu etc..) and i noticed that in drivers section for my motherboard, its option for OS only windows 8.

So does that means to run in windows 8.1 with no problems aswell?

Update to 8

i am currently using it 

and the metro thing,you will completely forgot about it (i did)

because i never used it (sort off) 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I have system on ssd so ill format only ssd. i really dont want to lose time with swaping back to windows 7 . 

I went to check driver compatibility for all things(motherboard, gpu etc..) and i noticed that in drivers section for my motherboard, its option for OS only windows 8.

So does that means to run in windows 8.1 with no problems aswell?

Most likely they will. If they won't there is

Option 1: Install as unsigned drivers (hard)

Option 2: Compatible mode

If you want back to 7 later you would need gparted because the installation will give an error. Installed windows version is newer then the one installed. Just a sidenote. Run into it myself.

Bye LTT. That was an interesting journey on this board. At least here you see how not to do it. I'll go shaking my head about this place.

I just decided to upgrade from Win7 to Win8.1 if only because of the "great performance" boosts I keep hearing about in Win8.1.  Doesn't mean I like Metro by any means but if I spend a couple hours I might get it to where I can deal with it.  Not a fan of apps on desktops though, apps are for tablets and phones, programs are for desktops and laptops.  That's just always been my perspective.  

I figure I'll try it for a month and if I really hate it, I'll rollback.  Windows 9 gives me no hope so I'd better adapt, at least that's my new perspective. *shrug*  

Microsoft broke my Start Button and all I got was stupid apps to show for it. <---  I want this on a T-shirt.