What R9 290x to get?

Jester196

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading my system a bit and decided to go for an R9 290x gpu. I was wondering what the best card would be as in manufacturer? (xfx, sapphire...)

At the moment I have an XFX HD 7950 DD and I love it, but I don't know what manufacturer would be best for one these new cards.

Also I have a XFX 550w PSU, so what PSU would use recommend for one of these cards, and what PSU would you recommend if I was to get 2 of these cards?

Thanks.

ASUS RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX | AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT | ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | Corsair Vengeance PRO RBG 16GB 3600MHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | x9 CoolerMaster MF120 Halo

Sapphire Vapor-X is the premium R9 series cooler the Tri-X is second.

sapphire-vaporx-290x-io.jpg

Your PSU will happily run one, but for a pair I'd suggest either a very good 750W or a good 850W

Sapphire Vapor-X or Tri-X

Your PSU will happily run one, but for a pair I'd suggest either a very good 750W or a good 850W

That's good to hear about the PSU. I'll have a look at the sapphire cards.

Thanks for the reply.

ASUS RTX 2080 Super ROG STRIX | AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT | ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | Corsair Vengeance PRO RBG 16GB 3600MHz | NZXT Kraken X73 | Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic | x9 CoolerMaster MF120 Halo

That's good to hear about the PSU. I'll have a look at the sapphire cards.

Thanks for the reply.

Vapor X is the best 290x AFAIK. Get it. :)

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

My opinion is to go with a R9 290 instead of the 290X because the difference is minimal between them and not worth the extra cash but make sure its from sapphire thou

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

The best 290X out there is the Lightning 290X, the vapor-X comes in a very close second.
There is no Lightning R9 290, which puts the 290 Vapor-X in a solid first place. The Sapphire Tri-X & PowerColor PCS+ are tied for third but the Tri-X is a dual slot while the PowerColor is a triple slot so the Tri-X gets my vote.
Every other R9 290 & 290X will trail behind the versions mentioned above.

My opinion is to go with a R9 290 instead of the 290X because the difference is minimal between them and not worth the extra cash but make sure its from sapphire thou

Vapor X is the best 290x AFAIK. Get it. :)

Ok I think sapphire is the way to go haha

Thanks for the reply's

Ok I think sapphire is the way to go haha

Thanks for the reply's

Yeah Sapphire is amazing

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

"The best 290X is a water cooled 290X"
Words of wisdom.

Do yourself a favor and get a R9-290 + a waterblock. Overclock 4% and you'll have equal performance.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

Do yourself a favor and get a R9-290 + a waterblock. Overclock 4% and you'll have equal performance.

The R9 290X has 10% more stream processors and is clocked 5% higher. So you need a 15% overclock to match a stock 290X.

In the early benchmarks the 290 was very close to the 290X because of the thermal throttling of the 290X which doesn't occur in any non-reference 290X.

^^ what he says

clock for clock for the 290 and 290X

the 290X will pull away in fps in all games

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Isnt the powercolor one the best? its a matter of 1 fps anyway so its the best looking in my opinion 

|| MAELSTROM ||

|| i5 3570K W/ CM 212x @ 4GHz || r9 290 Windforce || Corsair Obsidian 450D || 2tb HDD + 120gb 840 evo SSD || 2x4gb Hyperx Fury Blue

Isnt the powercolor one the best? its a matter of 1 fps anyway so its the best looking in my opinion 

sapphire or PowerColor

but for the 290X

it will be the MSI Lightning 290X :P

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

The R9 290X has 10% more stream processors and is clocked 5% higher. So you need a 15% overclock to match a stock 290X.

In the early benchmarks the 290 was very close to the 290X because of the thermal throttling of the 290X which doesn't occur in any non-reference 290X.

Look up the "Flash to X-Version" Threads, even when watercooling (or running the fans at 100% for benching), succesfully flashing the card will result in a 4% perfomance increase.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I was going to ask a similar question, I wanted to do crossfire 290X's in an MATX case. However, the Vapor-X's are more than two slots high, so which 290X would everyone recommend that is only 2 slots?

I was going to ask a similar question, I wanted to do crossfire 290X's in an MATX case. However, the Vapor-X's are more than two slots high, so which 290X would everyone recommend that is only 2 slots?

The Gigabyte one is a true 2 slot design, even the Tri-X is slightly wider.