Maxed out Dual CPU Workstation/4k gaming. Wall of Text.

meikat

Most parts should arrive later today (Friday) or Monday.  We'll start the build as soon as parts come in and I have a day off.  Either this weekend or next.  Build log will follow shortly after.

Nice

Tag me? :D

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Holy Moses 25K on a computer?!?!?!?! Anyways, I wish you guys the best of luck and can't wait to see the build log :)

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 | Motherboard: Asus Z97-A | RAM: 8gb (2x4gb) Corsair LP @1600mhz | GPU: Asus TUF GTX 1660 OC 6GB | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 | Storage: 250gb Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB WD Black 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Display: Asus VG245H 1920x1080 | Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and default case fans | Laptop: Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro Retina - i5 2.7Ghz - 256GB SSD

You can save around $70 on OS if you get it from G2A.. just sayin... :D

$70 eh

$70 eh

Yup. It's like 20 bucks on g2a, and it;s like 90 on newegg

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

We'll start a build log when we start actually building, but here's a little preview, and something to silence the nay-sayers.

TgjnDt1.jpg

Edit: We're still waiting on monitors, CPUs, and I think that might be it (Before we can start the core build and test it before messing with watercooling).

We'll start a build log when we start actually building, but here's a little preview, and something to silence the nay-sayers.

-snip-

It's so glorious

Edit: Drooling over the 2 titan Z boxes on my screen right now. I don't even have to see them in person to be awed

Edit: We're still waiting on monitors, CPUs, and I think that might be it (Before we can start the core build and test it before messing with watercooling).

Is that not two Intel cpu just to the right of the Titans?

Looking forward to the build.

Is that not two Intel cpu just to the right of the Titans?

Looking forward to the build.

That's 2 of the 730 series SSD retail boxes.  We got 2 retail and 6 OEM (retail was cheaper but limited to 2)

Yup. It's like 20 bucks on g2a, and it;s like 90 on newegg

what i meant was

does he really need to save $70 on a 30k build

Quick question:  We're still well within return policy range.  I was messing with some PSU calculators, and if I put the two Titans on one PSU, (max 1200 watts for the 2 cards) everything else, fans, cpus, drives, pump, etc, should only take 700-800 watts tops.  It would be a good idea to drop one of the AX1500's and grab an 800-900watt PSU for those components correct?  

When I posted a my planning yesterday for 6k I thought no-one would top that for at least a week. Then suddenly a 20k post comes up

Lol.  I just bumped it.  This post is like a week old. :)  Most of the components have arrived, we're gonna start building friday.

Pics or it didn't happen  :)

There already is a pic if you were to actually look

Quick question:  We're still well within return policy range.  I was messing with some PSU calculators, and if I put the two Titans on one PSU, (max 1200 watts for the 2 cards) everything else, fans, cpus, drives, pump, etc, should only take 700-800 watts tops.  It would be a good idea to drop one of the AX1500's and grab an 800-900watt PSU for those components correct?  

What if you drop both down to ax1200i's? For the sake of symmetry, that is :P

But yea, you could probably do with returning the one. You don't really need to though, more is always better than not enough

I wouldn't. The parts are bought and at most one would be saving a few hundred dollars. In a pinch the system could run with one Titan and one psu.

I wouldn't. The parts are bought and at most one would be saving a few hundred dollars. In a pinch the system could run with one Titan and one psu.

Im just worried about how many amps we're drawing from the wall.  We're having each PSU plugged into a different breaker (15 amp breakers), and one of the breakers is shared with a medium sized freezer.  I don't want breakers flipping and shutting down the PC.  I was under the assumtion that using a larger PSU than necessary can pull slightly more amps from the wall.  Is it negligible?

Edit:  Hopefully within the next few months, he'll be moving to somewhere where he has more control over the electric wiring in the house, but for now we're stuck at the mercy of his apartment complex.  They're high end apartments, so they have a ton of rules and they're super controlling.  D:

Im just worried about how many amps we're drawing from the wall.  We're having each PSU plugged into a different breaker (15 amp breakers), and one of the breakers is shared with a medium sized freezer.  I don't want breakers flipping and shutting down the PC.  I was under the assumtion that using a larger PSU than necessary can pull slightly more amps from the wall.  Is it negligible?

Edit:  Hopefully within the next few months, he'll be moving to somewhere where he has more control over the electric wiring in the house, but for now we're stuck at the mercy of his apartment complex.  They're high end apartments, so they have a ton of rules and they're super controlling.  D:

If it becomes a problem he could just remove one of the Titan Z's if it becomes an issue. He could put it back later when he has better access to power.

Answering this I suspect is non-trivial. Any difference in draw is likely due to the difference in respective psu efficiency curves. So if the idle load on a psu is 400W then an 800W Platinum psu will likely draw less than the 1500W Platinum unit simply because it is more efficient at that load. But the difference should be marginal.

Is there any power conditioning on the line with the compressor?

Answering this I suspect is non-trivial. Any difference in draw is likely due to the difference in respective psu efficiency curves. So if the idle load on a psu is 400W then an 800W Platinum psu will likely draw less than the 1500W Platinum unit simply because it is more efficient at that load. But the difference should be marginal.

Is there any power conditioning on the line with the compressor?

No, but we could get some.  Would that help?

No, but we could get some.  Would that help?

It will not help as far as loading is concerned. My thoughts were about the noise that compressors sometimes put on a line and how that might affect the psu.

Ok gotcha.  I think we should be ok.  I'm going to share the line with the smaller of the two PSUs.  I plan on having a couple high end UPS units on this rig as well.

Ok gotcha.  I think we should be ok.  I'm going to share the line with the smaller of the two PSUs.  I plan on having a couple high end UPS units on this rig as well.

Quality UPS should take care of any incoming issues of the sort I was thinking of.

do you have a build log in place now?

any link to it?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Not yet.  We're still waiting for the CPUs to come in, and also the monitors and other small bits. My work schedule doesn't match up with his until Friday, so we'll be starting the build Friday.  I'll get a build log up shortly after that.