Silverstone Raven RV05 Review

Misanthrope

Apologies for brevity and bad formatting I'm posting on my mobile. Here's a review of the Raven 5 I don't believe it's posted yet

Image_02S.jpg

The main issues seem to be long psu compatibility as well as only 2 3.5 drive spaces provided but seems to perform really well for air cooling and its a looker if you like the Angular style

http://www.techspot.com/review/846-silverstone-rv05/

-------

Current Rig

-------

It looks fugly.  ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

They do have the fl05 coming as well which is a plain black rectangle made of aluminum but shares the same layout so check out for that one too

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm waiting for ft05 as well. I wonder how much difference will there be, in terms of cooling performance, if I changed the 180mm fans in the bottom with 2x140mm, or 3x120mm air penetrator fans from Silverstone?

There is also another problem with this case, regarding radiators. As I said above, you can change the fans mounted in the bottom of the case, so that you can mount different sizes of radiators. But you can't do a push-pull config with radiators, if you want to install 10.2 inch+ gpus ( like r9 290x/780/780ti and etc), as you will be left with around 10.2" of space if you made a push-pull config with your radiator. You should have planned ahead if you want to buy this case, and I would suggest you to read the manual, which is available on Silverstone's website, when you are planning. As this review stated, this is not a case for everyone.

Looks like Silverstone asked the ROG guys for help designing this :P. Not my cup of tea but I can see how this style appeals to some.

I actually kinda like the aesthetic at least. 

However, I HATE the slim slot loading dvd drive bay. I would accept a slim drive, but not slot loading. Certain people around here still use CDs, and slot loading drives are just wayy too expensive. The slim ones that aren't slot loading are just as cheap as regular drives and take up just as much space as the slot loading ones. Silverstone, please fix this. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some video reviews:

3DGAMEMAN:

HardwareCanucks:

I thought the FT05 was gonna be my next case but these reviews of the raven have me worried, the cable managment and PSU limitations look like they could be a problem. The bequiet case might win me over now

I really like the style of the rv05 and ft05, sadly I can't afford them. And I wish they used a matte finish on the rv05 so it looks more premium.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I like the case. It is bold but not too gamer looking. I currently own Coolermaster CM690 III. Love it. The only reason I did not get Silverstone or Phanteks is because non of them were available in UK or IE 2 months ago. So yeah... Still might swap for Raven or wait for next build. Hope its more compact than my current case.