Anti-Virus Software

Generally I've been fine with avoiding virus and keeping my PC clean and safe. I was trying to find a thread with what software I should use to keep my PC clean. The only problem is that basically everyone says Microsoft secure essentials and common sense. The problem is my sister doesn't have any. Since I don't have a PW on my PC she used it while I was at work and when I got home, there she was watching videos on some random site. First thing I noticed was that 'clean your pc etc..." thing at the bottom of the corner (which of course she was ignoring) and promptly kicked her out as I laid down the laws and essentially banned her from the computer. The sad thing behind all of this is that she is 4/12 years older than me at the age of 23. So if anyone knows of any software to help protect it from the future and maybe clean up anything I couldn't do myself please post down below.

I've had the free version of AVG but I guess that wasn't enough.

TL;DR

Sister - downloaded virus, I did what I could to fix it, Suggestion to protect it from the future (software-wise)

*EDIT*

Doesn't matter if the software cost money. I'm making her pay for it

Avast would be a good bet. Can set real-time alerts to show when something malicious is on the web page you're viewing / attempting to open. It's free as well which is an added bonus :)

Avast would be a good bet. Can set real-time alerts to show when something malicious is on the web page you're viewing / attempting to open. It's free as well which is an added bonus :)

Do you suggest the anti-virus software and internet security? and are they both free? I'm looking at the site right now

Malwarebytes give you a free trial of their Pro version. which you'll want just to run the Heuristic scan, then follow it up with a normal scan their after. The free version running normal scans does well if to keep my less tech savvy friends from breaking it to much.

Had to clean off a pc for a friend, which took about 30 minutes to boot up and about 20 to respond to a mouse click no exaggeration . After scanning and cleaning their was well over 50 malicious programs running on it and a lot of other crap... I've since then its my go to software for when windows defender isn't good enough.

But the best antivirus really is just education and awareness.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Advance System Care is a good tool to use to clear your PC of malicious software and files. As far as antivirus goes, just use AVG or trial something else. 

The internet is your friend.

dildo faggins.

Malwarebytes give you a free trial of their Pro version. which you'll want just to run the Heuristic scan, then follow it up with a normal scan their after. The free version running normal scans does well if to keep my less tech savvy friends from breaking it to much.

Had to clean off a pc for a friend, which took about 30 minutes to boot up and about 20 to respond to a mouse click no exaggeration . After scanning and cleaning their was well over 50 malicious programs running on it and a lot of other crap... I've since then its my go to software for when windows defender isn't good enough.

But the best antivirus really is just education and awareness.

Something about malwarebytes doesn't sit well with me. First time I ever got it, it promptly shut down my entire computer (laptop not desktop *which was a Dell but also a gift*). It could have just been the hard drive failing..but yeah....

Do you suggest the anti-virus software and internet security? and are they both free? I'm looking at the site right now

I just have the free anti-virus software. I assume the internet security will offer much greater benefits; however, the free version has similar features such as the real time monitoring.

Something about malwarebytes doesn't sit well with me. First time I ever got it, it promptly shut down my entire computer (laptop not desktop *which was a Dell but also a gift*). It could have just been the hard drive failing..but yeah....

Maybe, once you have a bad or odd experience you're never really going to want to rely on that software. Except Windows, that we are stuck with.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I have use kaspersky in most of my client's PCs, and haven't had a virus problem in almost 3 years since I first installed it.  Before I would get at least 1 problem a month because they always want to use ares or other peer to peer sharing program to get music.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I just have the free anti-virus software. I assume the internet security will offer much greater benefits; however, the free version has similar features such as the real time monitoring.

Well I updated my original post and I also want my sister to learn her lesson. Might get the internet security one for $50 but I'm also looking into other options as well.

MSE for pure viruses and Malwarebytes is awesome against malicious threats and will most of time detect them and it blocks ips if a threat is coming. Also install in chrome/firefox extensions: Flashblock ( you can add websites to safe list and if you are on unknown website you can click to unblock the video box), Add Block Plus, HTTPS Everywhere.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Well I updated my original post and I also want my sister to learn her lesson. Might get the internet security one for $50 but I'm also looking into other options as well.

At the moment, I use a combination of Avast Antivirus and Comodo Firewall. Works great.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Kaspersky or ESET, never go with McAfee, Windows Defender is fine if you don't Google that much

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz (cooled by Corsair H110) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | GPU: ASUS GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5 Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB + 3 x WD Black 500GB  + WD Black 1TB + WD Black 2TB + Kingston V300 120GB PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 660W Monitors: 3 x Iiyama ProLite XU2390HS-1 Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Protheus Spectrum Mousemat: Steelseries QcK Heavy (40x45) Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II Speakers: Logitech Z906

Comodo Firewall

They make some of the best firewalls IMHO.

OP: I use Comodo Internet Securities and I haven't had a problem for two years, and I download alot of stuff...

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

They make some of the best firewalls IMHO.

OP: I use Comodo Internet Securities and I haven't had a problem for two years, and I download alot of stuff...

Their new firewall interface looks nice. The only issue I had a few times is CPU usage all of a sudden jumping to 100%. That issue seems to have been resolved.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Is the only software I've used that doesn't piss me off with pop-ups and update reminders and just annoying shit.

Even if you pay for the commercial ones, they just want you to pay more for other crap.

But for this situation I would be looking more in to web-integrated anti-virus. The kind that will steer you away from harmful websites instead of dealing with the shit they cause.

Web protection is usually just a costly upgrade from your regular anti-virus. 

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Microsoft Security Essentials

Is the only software I've used that doesn't piss me off with pop-ups and update reminders and just annoying shit.

Even if you pay for the commercial ones, they just want you to pay more for other crap.

But for this situation I would be looking more in to web-integrated anti-virus. The kind that will steer you away from harmful websites instead of dealing with the shit they cause.

Web protection is usually just a costly upgrade from your regular anti-virus. 

For avast, you can turn off notifications if you don't like them. I did, and I hardly see anything, unless there's an error in updating or there's malware. I actually don't like MSE because it updates through Windows Updates. Why can't it have its own ability to update itself?

For avast, you can turn off notifications if you don't like them. I did, and I hardly see anything, unless there's an error in updating or there's malware. I actually don't like MSE because it updates through Windows Updates. Why can't it have its own ability to update itself?

You still get an advertisement every month with avast, and you have to register. Not a big hassle I know but Ill take the option that doesn't have pop-up ads and registration.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

You still get an advertisement every month with avast, and you have to register. Not a big hassle I know but Ill take the option that doesn't have pop-up ads and registration.

You do? Hm. I was using the free version of Avast for years, and I don't remember seeing an ad pop up. I know there are ads in the interface itself. My memory does fail on me - perhaps this is one of those memory failures.

I use malwarebytes pro and nothing else for protection.  

Once a week I use AVG bootable off a USB stick to do a true scan of the system.  This is not AVG running on the system though.  It is AVG on a tiny linux distro for bootup.  I always recommend this method of virus scanning especially after you know you have one because windows is not actually running for this scan so the virus cannot use counter measures to live avoid the anti virus.  

I used to use Kaspersky Internet Security, now I rarely even use AV anymore. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

if you are willing to pay i would go with eset. Internet security v6 You get free updates if your license is still vaild so when v7 comes out just install no hassel.

Intel 3570k @ 3.8ghz | MSI Z77 G43 | 16gb ddr3 Crucial Ballistix Sport | MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB
Corsair 120GB Force Series 3 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Fractal Design R3 | OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Also some of my experiences.

AVG - Had this on family computer for a while but it would keep downloading something(i can see it in task manager/network manager) from time to time that i could not stop anywhere in the program and since we used to have 100KB/ps you couldn't do anything on the internet and i do not like a program that is downloading something without my approval/denial.

ESET - Had this for years, its lightweight but also bad for protection and at the end it messed my drivers so badly i had to re install windows....

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black