Product is under warranty but ...

DeViLzzz

Product is under warranty but the company you are rma'ing the item to makes you pay for the shipping.  Anyone find this totally unfair?  It actually has me time and time again not following through on an RMA I have set up a few times with Mushkin over a faulty psu I got long ago.  I really don't see how it is my fault their product was faulty and with that said they should really be covering some or all of the shipping to get it back to them.  Heck evil cable companies in Canada cover the cost to send and return stuff to them so why can't Mushkin or other pc hardware companies do this?

Curious to hear what people think.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well you usually get free shipping the first time, so I don't think it is that bad. Definitely depends on the part though.

I should be studying.

Well you usually get free shipping the first time, so I don't think it is that bad. 

No free shipping offered whatsoever by Mushkin.  As for other companies I can say with NCIX when I had an issue with something I had paid extra and had this membership thing which helped cover the cost so there is an example of something a tech company can do vs what Mushkin is doing which is nothing.

No free shipping offered whatsoever by Mushkin.

I almost always get free shipping when ordering from Amazon or Newegg. I don't buy from many other places unless there is a good sale. Almost every single Mushkin memory kit on Newegg has free shipping.

I should be studying.

Shipping probably costs more than they make selling the product. So I think it is fair enough.

Shipping probably costs more than they make selling the product. So I think it is fair enough.

You do realize that a majority of their products do not break down and thus it is usually all profit on an item?  So with that said why are they passing the charges onto the consumer when this isn't a common thing that will hurt their bottom line huge?  Why even offer a warranty then?  You think it is fair?  God consumers these days.  You probably think what Ubisoft has done lately is ok too.

They usualy ship it back free though c:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I almost always get free shipping when ordering from Amazon or Newegg. I don't buy from many other places unless there is a good sale. Almost every single Mushkin memory kit on Newegg has free shipping.

But see that is from the store front. Once that warranty is done the warranty with the manufacturer should mean something.

you pay for RMA shipping O.o?

I never did...

Who did you not pay RMA shipping with? Mushkin?

They usualy ship it back free though c:

They should be shipping it back free and should be covering my cost to get it to them too. It is their item they sold that is broke. I didn't do anything to break the thing.

Contact the retailer instead,  do not know how the law applies in Canada, but in the UK the retailer is held responsible for honouring the warranty

(might not apply to you, but worth a try)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They should be shipping it back free and should be covering my cost to get it to them too.  It is their item they sold that is broke.  I didn't do anything to break the thing.

neither did the company... Really they dont have to even fix it for you.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Well I paid for shipping to Logitech, and they'll send it back free of charge...

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Contact the retailer instead,  do not know how the law applies in Canada, but in the UK the retailer is held responsible for honouring the warranty

Well the company who sold me the item no longer has anything to do with the warranty.  Their warranty was like 1 yr or something.  I am left to deal with Mushkin now.  I was told this by NCIX.

Bottom line is again I just don't get why I am paying more for something I never had working and actually will never get because they don't even have a replacement for it.

Also like I said before these companies show 2 to 3% failure rates or even less with products and so why is it they can't cover this?  

You do realize that a majority of their products do not break down and thus it is usually all profit on an item?  So with that said why are they passing the charges onto the consumer when this isn't a common thing that will hurt their bottom line huge?  Why even offer a warranty then?  You think it is fair?  God consumers these days.  You probably think what Ubisoft has done lately is ok too.

Well you can read the warranty for a product before buying. http://poweredbymushkin.com/support/support?id=55

Power Supplies appear to fall under the limited warranty section.

The customer is responsible for return freight and product packaging; Mushkin is responsible for freight charges in the shipment of RMA product to the customer and appropriate product packaging.

neither did the company... Really they dont have to even fix it for you.

Actually they do.  It is under a 5 yr manufacturer's warranty.

Well you can read the warranty for a product before buying. http://poweredbymushkin.com/support/support?id=55

Power Supplies appear to fall under the limited warranty section.

That did not apply to when I bought it and Mushkin acknowledged this.  I have a 5 year warranty.  As for shipping to and from I see what it says and it says it is on me cost wise to get it to them but they have changed their policies over the years so who knows what it said when I bought the item in 2011. 

Also my point with this whole thing was to hear other people's opinions and experiences and not analyze my situation to death.  Still my main point is I think companies who send fault stuff to customers should be footing the majority or the whole bill.

Well the company who sold me the item no longer has anything to do with the warranty.  There warranty was like 1 yr or something.  I am left to deal with Mushkin now.  I was told this by NCIX.

Bottom line is again I just don't get why I am paying more for something I never had working and actually will never get because they don't even have a replacement for it.

Also like I said before these companies show 2 to 3% failure rates or even less with products and so why is it they can't cover this?  

Oh I see, I did not realise it was over the 12 months warranty provided by the retailer

At best you can ring up and complain and see if they can send out prepaid packaging or reimburse you, I imagine on low margin products they can lose a bit of money shipping around products so it makes sense to a business degree, though not a customer satisfaction one

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Actually they do.  It is under a 5 yr manufacturer's warranty.

ik, what im saying is that they dont have to give you a warranty at all lol

Amazon is a retailer, they don't honor warranty, all they do is make sure you get a non-defective product for 7-30 days depending on where you buy it from.

OP is talking about company RMA, where you send it to the manufacturer, or rebadger(whatever you want to call it), in which they never pay for shipping.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Acer, Asus, Intel, HP, BenQ and G.Skill...

At least didn't have to RMA more things xD

I wrote Mushkin and mentioned you as an anonymous source.  I am trying to see if Mushkin can waive the shipping fee for me.

Amazon is a retailer, they don't honor warranty, all they do is make sure you get a non-defective product for 7-30 days depending on where you buy it from.

OP is talking about company RMA, where you send it to the manufacturer, or rebadger(whatever you want to call it), in which they never pay for shipping.

I know. But it doesn't matter where you buy it from, you get a manufacturer warranty. You get free shipping when you buy the product, so paying for shipping for an RMA is not a big deal in my opinion.

I should be studying.

Pretty rediculus, might be just to inconvinience you so you won't return it, i have  cheap broken adapters that i haven't returned because shipping.

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

Still no excuse for a faulty product, it should cut directly into their margins.

-------

Current Rig

-------

While it kind of sucks that they do not cover shipping fee, this is how I see it.

It's still cheaper than going out and buying a new PSU. Depending on the size of your box, the weight and the location, it might cost you something around $20 to $35 to ship it, compare that to buying a new PSU all together, that isn't just a doorstop unit... I think it's a fair deal.

Ideally, they'd ship you a new unit without requiring the old one, something that Logitech often does, but then they risk getting people opening RMA tickets to get a second unit even though the first one still works fine

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I know. But it doesn't matter where you buy it from, you get a manufacturer warranty. You get free shipping when you buy the product, so paying for shipping for an RMA is not a big deal in my opinion.

Honestly it isn't, for me atleast, i live in CA, and many company RMA warehouses are located in CA, so the shipping is fairly cheap(unless i'm shipping something heavy), but I assume it's more expensive if you're shipping from accross the country.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Yea I had to pay like 25 bucks to send in my motherboard from Asrock 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/