Looking for Help With Choosing 300$(USD) Headphones

SirHobo
Go to solution Solved by Cheesebaron,

Trust your ears, if you like the sound, go for it. If you didn't already at the first visit, bring some of your own music and listen to that. See how that fares, and ignore the salesman for a brief. Think about what you like and what you dislike about the sound. If possible A/B test the headphones and see which ones you like the most.

Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker on this forum and thought it would be a good idea to ask for your help with the next set of headphones that I plan to buy. 

After doing some research online I thought I had it between the HD600's, the HE-400's, or the T50RP mod (Mad Dogs), but when I went to try them out in person the guy at the store insisted to me that these headphones were for classical and jazz (?), and not for the kind of music that I listen to (Pop Rock / Alternative Rock / Folk Rock).

So in my confusion I just decided to double back here and just ask you guys.

Thanks

Do you want open headphones? eg if you travel on public transport alot you'd want closed so you dont hear as much of the surrounding noise.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I found the HE-400 really great for Rock. I also have a pair of Grado SR325i which are also really great for that, however they can be quite a bit fatiguing after an hour or two of listening.

My opinion is that both the HE-400 and the HD600 are very good allaround types of headphones, and not only for classical and jazz. Sure they sound really good with that type of music, but the play other genres really good as well.

In the end, it is you who are going to pick the headphone you want, and it will be your subjective opinion, which will decide whether you like the sound with a specific genre or not.

It doesn't really matter to me, since I'm going to be using it at home.

EDIT: I think I'll try them both again tomorrow and make my decision there, thanks for the help

Trust your ears, if you like the sound, go for it. If you didn't already at the first visit, bring some of your own music and listen to that. See how that fares, and ignore the salesman for a brief. Think about what you like and what you dislike about the sound. If possible A/B test the headphones and see which ones you like the most.

Best answer. OP: In the end it's your own ears you're trying to satisfy, not the ears of the salesperson (although most probably he/she meant well). Bring your own pmp (portable media player), and borrow their headphone amp, if needed. Fill many genres into your pmp beforehand, to test them. 

Lots of people still 'go by the book', labeling specific genres to specific headphones. In reality there are no such things (this headphone only good with these genres, etc), otherwise that headphone would've flopped really hard on the market.