Power Surge Killed my PC

CyBaNeTiiKz
Go to solution Solved by BroKenFingers,

Then it must be a errant drive/software issue..start by removing some of your latest added software..ex. Vuse, Skype, uninstall 1 at a time ..rebooting into regular windows and see how you get on. Do you have a ADD-IN hardware NIC or do you use the MB built in NIC...either way disable (pull it out or disable it in the BIOS) and see if your system is stable..just do 1 ONE thing at a time..and reboot after each change..

Hey guys,

So we had a power surge within our home, I wasn't connected a to a surge protector ( I'd recently removed it to place somewhere else while I bought a new one) and since my pc has been experiencing so many problems. It fried one of my hdds and I thought it had broken my OS one too, so I replaced it with a brand new Samsung 840 250GB. Meantime I reinstalled windows to another hdd until my ssd came.

After cloning the hdd to ssd everything was kinda Ok until I restarted the computer and then it crashed when I log in to windows and it has Welcome and then rotating symbol. I performed system recovery tools and managed to get Windows to log into the desktop but then it still crashes immediately. I thought it might be something to do with the ssd but even after switching back to a hdd it does the same thing.

Later in this year I plan to replace my CPU and motherboard so if the problem lies there then I don't really mind.

Components atm are GA 990xa-UD3 mobo, AMD FX6100, 8GB corsair vengeance ram, corsair gs800w psu, 2x xfx 6870 gpu's. Need anything else let me know.

Specifically the problem starts to show once I install all the windows updates and start to install software. Software includes core temp, system monitor sidebar gadget, chrome, AMD 13.5 beta driver, .Net framework 4.0, vlc, vuze, Skype, steam. I can't remember any more off my head but I'm pretty sure that's it.

I also tried flashing to the latest bios for my mobo, not sure if that would have helped.

If we could diagnose the problem to a specific component or eradicate the whole issue I'd appreciate it!

Any more information needed let me know, thanks!

Kadeem.

Build log

CPU: FX-6100 @ 3.9 MOBO: GA 990XA-UD3 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: HD6870 PSU: Corsair GS800 Case: Bitfenix Outlaw SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Cooling: Custom Water-Cooling Peripherals: Keyboard: G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Sensei Steering Wheel: Logitech G27 Sound: Speakers: Logitech x530 Headset: Razer Chimaera Monitor: Benq G2450HM, LG 32" TV

Have you inspected the motherboard at all? Check it for any strange colours (brown would be a giveaway) around any of the tracers or Power Delievery system around the CPU socket. Furthermore, check the PSU. Any burst capacitors or anything that simply looks (or smells) out of place?

Upon inspection now, there seems to be no discolouration on the motherboard anywhere, and the psu as well looks to be fine.

Build log

CPU: FX-6100 @ 3.9 MOBO: GA 990XA-UD3 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB GPU: HD6870 PSU: Corsair GS800 Case: Bitfenix Outlaw SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Cooling: Custom Water-Cooling Peripherals: Keyboard: G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Sensei Steering Wheel: Logitech G27 Sound: Speakers: Logitech x530 Headset: Razer Chimaera Monitor: Benq G2450HM, LG 32" TV

have you tried booting to a cd like ( Hiren's BootCD )

and running motherboard test and other diagnostic tests

It sounds like a good place to start would be with memory testing  . Grab a flavor of memtest and run it for at least 1 hour..the longer the better.Let us know how you make out..

Your best effort is the easiest thing to give to someone else..

I haven't tried the boot cd option and BroKenFingers, I can't stay in os for more than a couple seconds, can I do that elsewhere?

Build log

Memtest is a boot to the test only..you will not be in the OS..

Ok then I will try that. Also, after tearing my system down to inspect it, my system is now stable in the os. I've restarted multiple times for consistency and it's still up.

Build log

Great to hear.. :) ..BUT i would use this time to prepare for the testing..you will want to be sure it is fixed. 

Yeah of course. I'm running the memtest now and I'll come back with some results.

Build log

if your surge protector is keep tripping then something on the power ring such as a freezer may be causing to trip as it turns off and on. also a surge protector wont protect your pc because it takes a pretty hefty current spike to trip it. by the time it has built up enough to flip the switch your pc may have been fried. its the same reason i pick modular psu's over a single high amp rail. it takes a lot more energy to trip the over volt protection on a 78a rail which means other components in the case will take the brunt of the power surge. with a multi rail with 32a rails you need a lot less increase to flip its OVP so it switches off faster at lower power spikes. this really can be the difference between a dead psu and a dead psu that took the rest of the build with it.

so what would i recomend... something that will clean up your power distribution. a simple inline way is to use a ups. a 1kw will be enough. it wont give you very long to switch off your pc if you have a power out but it will clean up the current and help protect your pc way more than a trip switch breaker.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

It's the shower that trips it, we are getting someone to look at it. And yeah I will be investing in a ups soon.

Ran the memtest and at the last second returned an error.

Also the OS isn't stable anymore, sometimes its fine and sometimes its not.

One thing to add, since this surge, I've had issues with my network adapter, it keeps entering deep sleep mode, and the only way that i can get it out is to shut down the pc, then unplug the psu, press the power button a couple times, plug the cable back in and turn the pc on as normal, and the network adapter 'wakes up'. Don't know if this is something caused by the surge.

post-3368-0-74626100-1369079213.jpg

post-3368-0-74626100-1369079213.jpg

Build log

If you have 2x 4gb DIMMS than remove one and retest..the faulty DIMM should be easy to find..follow the system manual for installing the DIMM in the correct slot..once you find the good DIMM..restart your OS and see how it is...Good Luck..

Did the memory controller pass all test..?

I don't know if it passed, that screenshot is all that i could see and I'm not as rehearsed in these sort of diagnostics. How could I tell? And I will test for the Faulty dimm now.

Build log

Ran both dimms for over 1 1/2 hrs each and no errors.

Build log

Have both DIMMs installed and boot to your OS. If the system fails..boot your OS and tap the F5 key right after the last beep..enter the windows diag screens >advanced options>choose : boot safe mode no network..with this option we will try to determine if the OS is having trouble with a driver.Let us know If it seems to be stable under safe mode...

I've entered safe mode multiple times easily and stably every time, no problems. 

Build log

Then it must be a errant drive/software issue..start by removing some of your latest added software..ex. Vuse, Skype, uninstall 1 at a time ..rebooting into regular windows and see how you get on. Do you have a ADD-IN hardware NIC or do you use the MB built in NIC...either way disable (pull it out or disable it in the BIOS) and see if your system is stable..just do 1 ONE thing at a time..and reboot after each change..

This will take some time :P

Build log

Yes..sorry..I do wonder if you should start first with your network card..?..since you said that it was misbehaving ...

I'm using onboard lan and disabling it in bios still resulted in it crashing.

Build log

Removed every installed program and the issue still occurred. I've uninsulated the realtek Ethernet controller driver and the system seems stable. I've tried to recreate the crash and it's gone by the looks of it. So does this mean that I have to buy an add on NIC? Lol

Build log

nope..not yet..just try to install the driver again..reboot and see what happens..but a Intel based hardware nic is a much better solution than the realtek..Good luck..hope you will have a stable system soon..let us know how it worked out.. :)

Yeah, I've reinstalled the driver and it crashes. Unintstalled the driver again and it's stable. Going for consistency again.

Build log

Darn, I thought that would be it, it crashed again :( without driver

Build log