My new case fans sounds like jet engines, need help!

Hello genious people of LTT!

Today I just got my new case fans http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/sickleflow-120-2000rpm-red-led/ but after installing them in my case and turning on my computer all I heard was 2 jet engines...

I've read a bit about others who also bought them and someone said to connect the fans to the motherboard and not the PSU as that might have been the problem but I have mine connected to the motherboard so that's probably not my problem. I also tried to lower the fan speed in the BIOS but the only options I got was normal, silent, manual and disable. I tried switching from normal to silent but nothing happened. I didn't try manual yet because I don't understand what the values means.

I also tried SpeedFan but with no luck.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z77-D3H if that's important. 

So my question is: How do I lower the speed of the fans in order to make them not as loud?

Sorry for spelling mistakes, english isn't my first language.

Edit: Added some more information about my computer below.

My case: http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/cases/enforcer/   The new fans are on the top.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.10GHz    ~43°C idle and ~57°C while playing games.  <--- Using stock cooler.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 640    ~33°C idle and ~48°C while playing games.

The temps are with the new fans installed.

Edit 2: Pictures of the BIOS options thingy's.

Fan speed options: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56908279/2014-07-14%2021.25.36.jpg

Manual options (PWM stuff): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56908279/2014-07-14%2021.26.01.jpg

the magic of LED fans, and none quiet LED fans aswell, mobo and speefan will only control if the fans are 4pin, so check that first, after that you would need a fan controller, but yea, those fans are that loud. most fans are loud except the great exceptions.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

try changing the fan speed in the bios again, and then see what happens

So my question is: How do I lower the speed of the fans in order to make them not as loud?

There are two ways of controlling fan speed...

1. Voltage regulation

2. Pulse Width Modulation (PWM)

You can undervolt your fans by wiring them using a 'low noise adapter' or by using some sort of fan controller that allows you to manually control the fan, and I think the motherboard can also control them with voltage too.

You can also plug in 4 pin PWM fans to the motherboard's 4pin PWM headers and use software to control the fan speed that way.

Go back into your BIOS and try manual settings. Google stuff that you don't understand or ask us. Try setting your fan speed as low as possible and see what happens.

You can use low noise adapters as suggested above.

Also notice that your fans are 2000 RPM fans which by nature are designed to move a low of air and therefore be loud. There are other fans out there which go up to 1000 RPM max. So with your fans you should at least get great cooling performance.

who cares...

try changing the fan speed in the bios again, and then see what happens

I'm gonna try to do this a few more times but if it doesn't work I guess I'll have to either return the fans and get other ones or get one of those fan controllers.

Go back into your BIOS and try manual settings. Google stuff that you don't understand or ask us. Try setting your fan speed as low as possible and see what happens.

You can use low noise adapters as suggested above.

Also notice that your fans are 2000 RPM fans which by nature are designed to move a low of air and therefore be loud. There are other fans out there which go up to 1000 RPM max. So with your fans you should at least get great cooling performance.

Yeah, well now under the summer my computer has gotten really hot and that's why i bought extra fans. I wanted them to be good at cooling and the red LED was great because it fits the theme in my case. And I have to say that my computer has never been this cold before, not even in the winter! :o

I have the same fan, if you have it on as an intake right next to a mesh opening then it will make a crap ton of noise, you need to put it somewhere in the case where there is a gap between the fan and the mesh opening (if that makes sense). Some fans handle this problem better then others, the stock fans that came with my case handled it better than the sickeflow so I switched the sickelflow with one of the stock fans and it makes less noise since the sickeflow was put in a place with a decent gap between the fan and the mesh opening

person below me is a scrub

Yeah, well now under the summer my computer has gotten really hot and that's why i bought extra fans. I wanted them to be good at cooling and the red LED was great because it fits the theme in my case. And I have to say that my computer has never been this cold before, not even in the winter! :o

What case/cooling setup do you have, which parts are running too hot in your opinion? Tell us what CPU+What cooler and what GPU you have. Then we could probably give a more elavorate answer.

who cares...

Change fan speeds, Use screws that reduce the vibration in fans, or buy new fans.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

I have the same fan, if you have it on as an intake right next to a mesh opening then it will make a crap ton of noise, you need to put it somewhere in the case where there is a gap between the fan and the mesh opening (if that makes sense). Some fans handle this problem better then others, the stock fans that came with my case handled it better than the sickeflow so I switched the sickelflow with one of the stock fans and it makes less noise since the sickeflow was put in a place with a decent gap between the fan and the mesh opening

This is my case: http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/cases/enforcer/ and the fans are on the top.

This is my case: http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/cases/enforcer/ and the fans are on the top.

Well I know they make a ton of noise as intakes so try making them an exhaust if they are not already; also I would take out the fan in the front of the case and put the new sickeflow one since it looks like there is a gap there and put the other fan on the top(or where you were gonna put it)

Also I know silverstone makes fans made specifically for this type of problem, it is called the air penetrator, here is a demonstration

What case/cooling setup do you have, which parts are running too hot in your opinion? Tell us what CPU+What cooler and what GPU you have. Then we could probably give a more elavorate answer.

Added some information in my first post.

Added some information in my first post.

Hm. What fans do you have in there? was the case fully equiped with a 200 mm in the front and top and a 120 mm in the back? At least that's how it's advertised on CM's website. BTW. your temperatures look pretty good. Depending on the rest of your fans/ airflow, it might be better to buy a basic CPU cooler to get the temps down. But nontheless everything below 60 °C is absoluteley ideal, Ii would worry if you're reaching 80°C, but everything below is ok.

who cares...

Well I know they make a ton of noise as intakes so try making them an exhaust if they are not already; also I would take out the fan in the front of the case and put the new sickeflow one since it looks like there is a gap there and put the other fan on the top(or where you were gonna put it)

Also I know silverstone makes fans made specifically for this type of problem, it is called the air penetrator, here is a demonstration

Apple does that with the fans in their laptops.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hm. What fans do you have in there? was the case fully equiped with a 200 mm in the front and top and a 120 mm in the back? At least that's how it's advertised on CM's website. BTW. your temperatures look pretty good. Depending on the rest of your fans/ airflow, it might be better to buy a basic CPU cooler to get the temps down. But nontheless everything below 60 °C is absoluteley ideal, Ii would worry if you're reaching 80°C, but everything below is ok.

Before I got these new fans the temp almost got up to 80°C on some parts if it was a warm day, which is why I bought the fans. And I'm using the fans you get with the case + the new ones that I'm having troubles with.

Apple does that with the fans in their laptops.

sweet

sweet

It really helps. The fans are incredibly quiet.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Well that fan looks good but the problem here would be the colour (yes it might sound dum but I'm trying to stick with my red and black theme) and size of the fan (2x 120mm or 1x 200mm).

Well that fan looks good but the problem here would be the colour (yes it might sound dum but I'm trying to stick with my red and black theme) and size of the fan (2x 120mm or 1x 200mm).

something like this appears to reduce the noise of the turbulence caused by the fan according to the reviews http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999217

Before I got these new fans the temp almost got up to 80°C on some parts if it was a warm day, which is why I bought the fans. And I'm using the fans you get with the case + the new ones that I'm having troubles with.

Okay, so i think you have more than enough airflow. You could get a basic CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. That will drive down the temps significantly due to the expanded surface area.

For your new fans: i would try to control them via the BIOS manually or usa a 5V adapter. Make sure that the fans can start at that voltage though (a good review has that info). Or you could of course return them if you wanted and get the money back.

who cares...

Okay, so i think you have more than enough airflow. You could get a basic CPU cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. That will drive down the temps significantly due to the expanded surface area.

For your new fans: i would try to control them via the BIOS manually or usa a 5V adapter. Make sure that the fans can start at that voltage though (a good review has that info). Or you could of course return them if you wanted and get the money back.

I've been trying to lower the fan speed via the BIOS but with no luck so far. I took two pics with my phone so you or anyone else might be able to help me out and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Fan speed options: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56908279/2014-07-14%2021.25.36.jpg

Manual options (PWM stuff): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56908279/2014-07-14%2021.26.01.jpg

Tell me if you need more information.

Edit: It's fan 2 and 3 if that matters and they are running at about 1800RPM.

I've been trying to lower the fan speed via the BIOS but with no luck so far. I took two pics with my phone so you or anyone else might be able to help me out and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Tell me if you need more information.

Edit: It's fan 2 and 3 if that matters and they are running at about 1800RPM.

Are yours PWM? The slope manages how strong your rpms rise with your temperature. idk what temperature, i am assuming it uses the CPU temps. So if your fans are PWM you can dial in a smaller slope but you will need a CPU cooler do effectiveley bring the temps down under low noise.

Also, the fan conrtolling options of motherboards these days are shit! Manufacturers should include a better controling mechnism! [/rant]

who cares...

When the computer starts, the fans power up before any bios settings are applied to fan speed and such, unless you have an exterior fan controller, the fans will start at a default speed. You can control the speed of the fans when they are connected to the motherboard. If your motherboard doesn't come with a built in fan controlling program like Asus' Fan Xpert III, use the bios setting 'manual' and control the fan curve to your liking.