New PC for programming and gaming

ndogg5150

I am about to build a new computer for both gaming and programming. I've just started programming and am not sure what kind of hardware I need for it. Should I be more concerned with the programming side or the gaming side of my choices?

Thanks for your help. 

I am about to build a new computer for both gaming and programming. I've just started programming and am not sure what kind of hardware I need for it. Should I be more concerned with the programming side or the gaming side of my choices?

Thanks for your help. 

If you build a good gaming PC, it will be a good programming PC.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Thanks for your help. 

You do not need any special hardware to learn programming. Just build your gaming pc and it will just fine as a programming PC. Although if you have a bit too much cash ~ a Xeon Phi would never hurt :P

You should focus your hardware choices towards the games you want to play.  Programming doesn't require powerful hardware in most cases.

When I'm away from home I program on a 5 year old laptop, so just focus on the gaming not the programing.

Sorry to tell you guys this, but game performance is gpu based, while programming(if its not vision proccessing) is cpu based. A good general build is i5, 760, ssd that should be ur core. If you are very interested in programming i would suggest dual booting windows and linux, because most programming is done in linux. 

Sorry to tell you guys this, but game performance is gpu based, while programming(if its not vision proccessing) is cpu based. A good general build is i5, 760, ssd that should be ur core. If you are very interested in programming i would suggest dual booting windows and linux, because most programming is done in linux. 

Unless you're developing incredibly complex applications that require a lot of compile time or are performing very computationally intensive tasks in your code you do not need a very high end CPU, regardless of whether or not it's GPU or CPU based. An SSD would be a good addition though for both development and gaming.

Also, "most programming is done in linux"....? I think you mean "Most Linux programming is done in Linux"

You only need Linux if you are developing Linux-native applications or if you want Geek kudos for working with PHP using Linux, although you can still develop in PHP fine in Windows as well as the full Microsoft stack.

Just build a gaming PC that fits your budget and be done with it.

I suggest a gaming oriented build (defiantly with SSD/s). I take a different tact to development where I use a server to virtualize multiple machines. However if you do go the Nvidia route you get to play with CUDA, otherwise it's just OpenCL and things like C++ AMP.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

^^what she says

Generally look at the system requirements of the programs which you will need to use for Programming

most will specify any general desktop/laptop PC can do the job

But games are mostly the killer of any good PC

look at your games and see which games is the most demanding Eg: WatchDogs

check the recommended specs and work from there upwards

or refer to the games forums and check what other gamers are running in terms of rig and the expected fps

finally a budget of the PC you want to build and other things

buy parts and happy building

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Thanks for your help. 

If you only just started programming it requires pretty much nothing, performance begins to matter when you are compiling Complex Programs and 3D Engines

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Thank you everyone, this is a great help.

Thank you everyone, this is a great help.

keep us updated when you have the programs you need and the game you will be playing

and most importantly the budget

use the quote button on the right so that we can see your replies

look at my sig and you should be able to come out the questions and answers

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.