Asus PB278Q vs Asus PB287Q

Hipstair

Im looking to buy a new monitor soon. I've been looking at both of these for a while now, an I was wondering which one you would choose. Thanks!

-Hippeminecraft

2K vs 4K... unless you have a 295X2 Crossfire... I will not choose PB287Q

I'd stick with 1440p for now. It is better in general use and far less costly to actually run effectively in gaming scenarios.

You only have a laptop with integrated graphics, and I hope you are not gaming on it. For normal use, I would just get the PB278Q. Lots of programs don't scale well with 4K.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

These first 4K panels (perhaps not unexpectedly) are displaying the worst traits of the various panel types. They have the low refresh rates of IPS panels (in comparison to TN panels), colour shifting of TN panels (in comparison to IPS panels), scaling issues like some weird ratio screen, and require significant hardware (GPU and CPU) to run them. In saying all this I do appreciate the early adopters who are paying for the R&D that will allow better panels in the future. 1440 seems to be where it is, and probably where it will be for some time.

As an early adopter of 4K myself, I say stick to 1440p.

The 4K panels that are out there at the moment (at least the ones that aren't multiple thousands of dollars) are all TN, so you're going to get bad viewing angles and terrible colours. To put this into perspective, I can sit directly in front of my 4K and have perfectly acceptable colours at the top of my screen, but the bottom is washed out and shifted into the negative. Also, my particular panel is already dying, which may just be my bad luck, or it may be a thing to keep in mind when buying a monitor. Also, while gaming in 4K looks stunning, I have a 780Ti SLI configuration, which is BARELY enough to get a MAXIMUM of 60FPS in most games. 

Also, while gaming in 4K looks stunning, I have a 780Ti SLI configuration, which is BARELY enough to get a MAXIMUM of 60FPS in most games. 

What, really?

That's shit.  Was hoping to get into 4k on my SLI'd 780Ti's.

Linus did it on 780's with a pretty good result so thought it could only be better on the Ti's.

What model MSI's are you running?

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

What, really?

That's shit.  Was hoping to get into 4k on my SLI'd 780Ti's.

Linus did it on 780's with a pretty good result so thought it could only be better on the Ti's.

What model MSI's are you running?

This guy. In a 2-way config (not sure I say that in my profile). How many do you have?

Two of these

But with the i7 4770k, which will probably yield similar results as you.

I've removed the ACX and slapped on some waterblocks for future overclocks

CPU: i7 4770K 4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asrock Fatal1ty Z97x Killer, GFX: EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC ACX (x2 SLI), RAM: G.Skill 1600Mhz CAS 9 16GB, DSK Intel 530 120GB OS, Crucial M500 120GB, WD 1TB Blue, WD 1TB Green, PSU: Corsair AX1200i, Case: Obsidian 750D. 

SERVER HP ProLiant Microserver N54L, FreeNAS: ZFS, 8TB (4x 2TB WD Red), RAID Z2, 16GB ECC RAM, 1Gb/s Link Aggregated:  Running as NAS, Plex, & ownCloud

Two of these

But with the i7 4770k, which will probably yield similar results as you.

I've removed the ACX and slapped on some waterblocks for future overclocks

I should say that the results I was getting was on maximum graphical settings, and from what I understand a lower setting, but a higher resolution looks and works better than high res, high settings.

I should say that the results I was getting was on maximum graphical settings, and from what I understand a lower setting, but a higher resolution looks and works better than high res, high settings.

ok, well I'll wait out on the 4k until I see some better models and more reviews.

Yeah 4K... I wrote it already in another topic. We are going to see some nice displays to the end of this year/ beginning of next year... but the GPU's aren't really there yet. If you turn down the details a bit and if you aren't using high AA settings you can run games in 4K with acceptable FPS. But personally this isn't what I want... just feels wrong. As much as I want 4K I think we as gamers and enthusiasts have to wait at least another 1 or 2 GPU generations before it becomes the real deal.

I am running a 1440p display and was planning to sell this for a 4K later this year... but instead I think I'll be buying the new Asus ROG Swift display... even though it is "just" 1440p it has everything a gamer can possibly want. And with that being said a nice GTX780 TI SLI/ R9 290X CF will be amazing and enough raw power to run high details.

It's quite dissapointing to see a R9 295X2 CF or a Titan Z SLI loosing the battle for FPS big time in 4K with high resolutions and rich details...

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling