My First NAS System

ddbtkd456
This is my first custom made NAS storage unit, it has ALOT of space I know....so I will break it down for you...(I went with 2 Terabytes since they are alot more stable then 3 or 4 TB drives)

Updated:

2 TB - Movies (some are raw (straight from Video Camera)
2 TB - TV Shows
2 TB - Music Files (I have alot of music and it is going to be in 320...)
2 TB - My Backup of My 1 Terabyte Drive
2 TB - Backup of my Other Computers 1 Terabyte Drive

Suggestions are welcome...be nice tho...as it is my first build for custom network storage.

Motherboard: ASRock Z87E-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($134.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($97.98 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-B9 PWM 37.9 CFM 92mm  Fan  ($23.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-B9 PWM 37.9 CFM 92mm  Fan  ($23.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14 FLX 65.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($17.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1228.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I don't know what it was, but when I first saw your profile picture, the guy reminded me of GabeN... 

What level RAID do you plan on running? Also do you plan on buying an external raid card or using the on board RAID controller on the mother board ? 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I was thinking of an on-board one unless you have a cheap one in mind....

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I was thinking of an on-board one unless you have a cheap one in mind....

From my experience , when running Raid, cheap is never a good thing. I am looking at building a home server off of a HP Proliant Gen 8 Micro server in the future, and my RAID card alone is 300 dollars. The cheaper the card you get, or even by using on board RAID, you run the risk of having poor management, performance, and rebuilding tools. A cheaper card is usually more prone to failure and writing errors. Now I am not saying they are all bad, I just have nothing to recommend that is cheap.  

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

From my experience , when running Raid, cheap is never a good thing. I am looking at building a home server off of a HP Proliant Gen 8 Micro server in the future, and my RAID card alone is 300 dollars. The cheaper the card you get, or even by using on board RAID, you run the risk of having poor management, performance, and rebuilding tools. A cheaper card is usually more prone to failure and writing errors. Now I am not saying they are all bad, I just have nothing to recommend that is cheap.  

I wasn't actually thinking about running raid on it...Movies and TV Shows...problem solved :) Music, Backup for my Computer, Back up for Fiances computer.

I wasn't actually thinking about running raid on it...Movies and TV Shows...problem solved :) Music, Backup for my Computer, Back up for Fiances computer.

Alright, just know if a drive fails, you will loose all of its data. So it will be wise to have the information else ware too if it is something important. Also if you wanted to end up running Raid and you wanted 4TB for movies, 2TB for Music, 2TB for PC Backup, 2TB for other PC backup, you will either need larger drives or more drives. 

Alright, just know if a drive fails, you will loose all of its data. So it will be wise to have the information else ware too if it is something important. Also if you wanted to end up running Raid and you wanted 4TB for movies, 2TB for Music, 2TB for PC Backup, 2TB for other PC backup, you will either need larger drives or more drives. 

You make a good point...I am going to have a double backup...Each computer will have there own 2 TB external as well as back up on the server...so it will be double backed up. Movies, TV shows, and Music...its alot of work to redo it all but I've (so far) never had a drive fail....but there is always a first...and it wouldn't be the end of the world for those drives.

You make a good point...I am going to have a double backup...Each computer will have there own 2 TB external as well as back up on the server...so it will be double backed up. Movies, TV shows, and Music...its alot of work to redo it all but I've (so far) never had a drive fail....but there is always a first...and it wouldn't be the end of the world for those drives.

I have had a few drives fail on me, and at work I have had countless server drives fail along with a couple handfuls of workstation hard drives. I like being on the safe side when it comes to mass storage, and have a Raid running on my NAS\file server and have a off site backup done every month in case something happens to my house. 

I have had a few drives fail on me, and at work I have had countless server drives fail along with a couple handfuls of workstation hard drives. I like being on the safe side when it comes to mass storage, and have a Raid running on my NAS\file server and have a off site backup done every month in case something happens to my house. 

Unless you know somewhere I can access 2 Terabytes worth of space for free.... lol

Unless you know somewhere I can access 2 Terabytes worth of space for free.... lol

I just get something like WD Red drive, put all my data on there with a USB 3.0 to SATA, transfer the data and take the drive back. My internet speeds are way too slow to upload large amount of files.

While it's not free and not the best method, it gets the job done.

Hmmm....thats a good idea...however most of my "critical files" are locked in a safe lol....not even on a computer...which case is the best for large amount of storage...and is it possible to use wifi on this?

Hmmm....thats a good idea...however most of my "critical files" are locked in a safe lol....not even on a computer...which case is the best for large amount of storage...and is it possible to use wifi on this?

Wi-Fi on what?

WiFi on the nas tower