PC Gamers - Do you play PC games exclusively?

Hobox

The main scope of what this discussion is:

That's the main issue I'm trying to pick here. I know it's not very clear, I've been up all night and that huge first post I made is probably all muddled lol. But yeah, the issue I'm meaning to pick is the people that call themselves "real gamers" or "hardcore gamers" or anything of the like because they only playing PC games, as if playing on any platform makes you not a serious gamer. How can someone be a "real" or "hardcore" gamer that limits themselves to a single platform.

So here's my take on gaming... If you play one platform exclusively, you aren't a real dedicated gamer. For the sake of this part of the discussion, I want to leave out retro games.

If it's available on PC, get the PC version. It's going to look and sound better, and for the most part control better.

However, not all games have PC versions. And in fact, some of the best games at the times will never see PC releases. On Sony's side of things, they have incredible games like the Uncharted series, Metal Gear, God of War, Heavy Rain which is outstanding and the upcoming Beyond Two Souls, The Last of Us, Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus and ICO and the upcoming The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy + a majority of the JRPG market. And these are just the ones off the top of my head.

On Microsoft's side, while a smaller piece since many Xbox games become PC titles, they still have Gears of War, Dead Rising, Fable 2, Halo, Alan Wake, and many others that I know I'm forgetting, although admittedly Xbox is harder to come up with any in general.

And then Nintendo has their incredible arsenal of their first party games, Zelda, Mario, Kirby, Metroid, Super Smash Bros, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and then getting into third party developers with games like Sonic, Xenoblade Chronicles, Eternal Darkness, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, and much more.

Of course there's tons of cross platform consoles games, between the 3 of them, but that don't cross over to PC, like the Tales of series, Soul Calibur, Castlevania, Dragon's Dogma, Red Dead Redemption, (a very lackluster list due to my inability to remember things.) Not to mention it's harder to recall games that may have a PC port now but didn't for a very long time from a game's initial console release.

So getting to my point, there are so many outstanding games that are console exclusive. You may not like them all, but due to the sheer amount of games there are you're bound to like a lot of them. You can't simply say you won't play them because they don't look as good as PC games, judging games solely on graphics has always been looked down upon. If that was the game, games from the 8 and 16 bit era would be the worse games ever made, which is very much the opposite of how it is, with many of them being some of the greatest games ever created.

So where does the PC gaming elitism come from? I think it comes from ignorance mostly, as they focus so much on one platform they simply miss everything else on the others. They don't know what they're missing. Sure, it would be great if all games came out on every platform, but that isn't how it works. Companies need incentive to have people buy their product.

***Please remember*** Nobody is arguing that a game wouldn't have been better off as a PC release (for the most part), but since they aren't PC releases why can't you enjoy them for what they are? Personally, if I want to play a game and it has a PC release too, I'd prefer the PC release most of the time. That doesn't detract from the appeal that so many console games have, and I don't get why so many PC gamers can't recognize this too.

So anyone that DOES play PC games exclusively, I want to hear your side. Why do you want to ignore all these other games? Is it simply because of graphics capabilities? Do you really not like any of the above mentioned games or any of dozens I failed to mention?

If Linus happens to read this, I have specific questions for you. How can you love the classic games like FF6, LttP, and the works so much but not give a fleeting thought to current consoles games? Why can't you give Skyward Sword a chance? Or Heavy Rain, or Shadow of the Colossus? Those would be some incredible games for you and Slick to stream in the after party. It can give you guys some new perspective into console gaming, give you a more objective view, and could be used as alternating games between retro and "newer" games. All 3 of those games are pretty iconic and the pinnacle of console games in many people's opinion, yet each one plays so vastly different from the others. Two of them (Skyward Sword and Heavy Rain) wouldn't even be feasible on PC, and would have to be wildly different games and could show you how it's still relevant to keep console gaming alive. I would love Slick's view on this too.

I play on my xbox and im selling my ps3 soon so im playing less on that, and while my rig isnt done i play some light games (minecraft, dota 2) on my parents pc. only system i dont play on is, nintendo, and portable. i play a bit on android but those arent to fun to me.I was gonna get a n64 and a snes in a few months, and maybe a gameboy color. i like all games if you cant tell. :)

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I play on my xbox and im selling my ps3 soon so im playing less on that, and while my rig isnt done i play some light games (minecraft, dota 2) on my parents pc. only system i dont play on is, nintendo, and portable. i play a bit on android but those arent to fun to me.I was gonna get a n64 and a snes in a few months, and maybe a gameboy color. i like all games if you cant tell. :)

Why don't you like Gamecube/Wii? And you aren't interested in Beyond: Two Souls or The Last of Us for the PS3 coming soon?

Why don't you like Gamecube/Wii? And you aren't interested in Beyond: Two Souls or The Last of Us for the PS3 coming soon?

I had both gamecube and wii. and i loved them, i just dont own them now and have no desire to,

ya i had them both preordered but im selling my ps3 now so i took them off. they do look cool though, im more excited for beyond though i liked heavy rain more than uncharted,

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

I had both gamecube and wii. and i loved them, i just dont own them now and have no desire to,

ya i had them both preordered but im selling my ps3 now so i took them off. they do look cool though, im more excited for beyond though i liked heavy rain more than uncharted,

You trying to sell your PS3 before the price drops to almost worthless by the PS4 launch? Lol that's not a bad idea actually if that's why you're selling it.

You trying to sell your PS3 before the price drops to almost worthless by the PS4 launch? Lol that's not a bad idea actually if that's why you're selling it.

naw my cousin wants one so im selling it to him, i dont use it to much anyway, the controllers cramp my hands

I only play PC games because I don't want to buy a console for just a few games I might like.  Also I don't like console controllers, ecpecially in first person shooters.

Intel i7-870  //  MSI GTX 670 PE       ///       Intel i7-4500U  //  GT720M

Yes I do I haven't owned a console in almost 7 years I don't regret it. I do use the controller for games like sport games and racing games on my pc and that's about as close as I get to a console. I do get tempted by the console exclusive games I see my favorite youtubers play. I curse at the marketing gods and pray and wish they would stop doing this and make all games available on the PC like it should be. 

I guess PC elitism comes from not only ignorance but also due to the fact that they know what the consoles can do, the PC can do better, faster and more. There's also the fact that these pc elitist are butthurt about the PC not being marketed as much as the consoles

I don't mind the consoles and I accept the fact that they have their place on the market since they are more accessible to a larger crowd since they are so much cheaper and I do occasionally go over to my buddies houses to play these console exclusive games.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

Since I'm not the one buying the console I play them but I probably will never buy a console unless I'm developing on it or it's something like the Wii U.

Samskip, on 20 May 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I only play PC games because I don't want to buy a console for just a few games I might like. Also I don't like console controllers, ecpecially in first person shooters.

You're buying an expensive graphics card for a few games you might like. I think there's more games for consoles than there are for PC, so I'd say if it was a gamble of games you'd like the chances would be higher being console-only.

XiaoPigs, on 20 May 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

Yes I do I haven't owned a console in almost 7 years I don't regret it. I do use the controller for games like sport games and racing games on my pc and that's about as close as I get to a console. I do get tempted by the console exclusive games I see my favorite youtubers play. I curse at the marketing gods and pray and wish they would stop doing this and make all games available on the PC like it should be.

I guess PC elitism comes from not only ignorance but also due to the fact that they know what the consoles can do, the PC can do better, faster and more. There's also the fact that these pc elitist are butthurt about the PC not being marketed as much as the consoles

I don't mind the consoles and I accept the fact that they have their place on the market since they are more accessible to a larger crowd since they are so much cheaper and I do occasionally go over to my buddies houses to play these console exclusive games.

See I don't get this, you say you really like some of the games, so why not play them? At this point, a Wii is pretty cheap and has tons of fun games and can run Gamecube games too, it has Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1&2, Metroid Prime trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem, Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Super Smash Bros, Resident Evil Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, New Super Mario Bros.

I play exclusively on the PC because I can build the PC out to do what I want it to do.  And with the amount of money I put into my PC, why should I spend money to get a console just to play a couple games that might be out on the console that isn't on the PC.  When it comes to the old school stuff, I just ROM those.  Plus, I barely ever use my TV, it's pretty much only a media center and I don't even have Cable for it (so little time, I don't want TV anyway), so it only gets used for movies.

I wouldn't call myself a PC elitist, I just build them so I know what my work is capable of.  Plus I spend so much time outside either hiking, biking, working on my car, hangout out with friends, dancing, w/e, that I don't want to put much more time to another indoors activity.  As of right now it's tough enough balancing all my activities, and I know that if I get another new thing I'll probably throw myself into it, since I know my limitations I don't see any reason testing the waters.

That said, I think people should play what they are familiar with and love.  I suck with controllers, I've just always been more efficient with a mouse and keyboard.  I know that if I play with a console enough I'd get used to the controller, but I guess I don't want to bother with the learning curve since I already have something that works for me.

01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110001 01110101 01101001 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01100101 00101100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101111 01110010 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100001 01100010 01101100 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01101000 01100101 01100001 01110010

You're buying an expensive graphics card for a few games you might like. I think there's more games for consoles than there are for PC, so I'd say if it was a gamble of games you'd like the chances would be higher being console-only.

See I don't get this, you say you really like some of the games, so why not play them? At this point, a Wii is pretty cheap and has tons of fun games and can run Gamecube games too, it has Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1&2, Metroid Prime trilogy, Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Mario Sunshine, Fire Emblem, Wind Waker, Eternal Darkness, Tales of Symphonia, Super Smash Bros, Resident Evil Umbrella and Darkside Chronicles, New Super Mario Bros.

I do play them as mentioned above but not all of them since some of my friends didn't buy the games :)

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I do play them as mentioned above but not all of them since some of my friends didn't buy the games :)

Why are you against buying them yourself though? You can always buy the game and play it over at your friend's house, I do that a lot.

That might be true but a big reason for me not having a console are the controllers, I'm a big noob using them, I'm more of a keyboard and mouse guy. I could get used to playing with a controller but anoter reason for me not having a console are the graphics. 

That might be true but a big reason for me not having a console are the controllers, I'm a big noob using them, I'm more of a keyboard and mouse guy. I could get used to playing with a controller but anoter reason for me not having a console are the graphics. 

Do you not like any retro games? Some of the art in the 8 and 16 bit era is done really well, they are still great games. And look at games art style like Skyward Sword's, while the Wii is by no means a powerhouse the graphics style is beautiful.

And to this day, Shadow of the Colossus remains breathtakingly beautiful and that's a PS2 game.

I think it's so unfair to judge games based on graphics. They have to work with the technology at the time. If a game is "bad" because of graphics not being as good as the current technology's that would been games magically turn from great into awful when advanced in graphics technology are made. That simply isn't the case, a game doesn't go from good to bad because it doesn't look good anymore.

As for the controller problem, it's really something anyone can learn to handle. Slick always says controls feel far too small for him because he has big hands, but my hands are by no means small and I find using controllers perfectly fine. For comparison, I claw grip even very large, longer mice like the G600. For most people that's a long stretched palm grip mouse.

Consoles were like 500 Euros here up until half a year ago and regular monthly payment is around 300-350 euros.....since there isn't a big market here because most people are pirates games stay always around 60 euros....

My class mate has a PS3 and a ton of games (yeah hes kinda rich) and i just did not like the controller at all especially in fps games and i still have no idea how could he have played Black Ops.... my brother also has a Wii which i played a few times when i visited him but he never plays it these days since hes only now using/buying stuff that apple makes.... i could see myself playing some times wii games but the only fun game for me was Super Mario (but he didn't have that many games).

If the situation was different i would probably have a console for exclusives like Red Dead Redemption and Mortal Kombat which i loved playing with friends in net cafe , but until then PC all the way.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

delete -.-'

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Consoles were like 500 Euros here up until half a year ago and regular monthly payment is around 300-350 euros.....since there isn't a big market here because most people are pirates games stay always around 60 euros....

My class mate has a PS3 and a ton of games (yeah hes kinda rich) and i just did not like the controller at all especially in fps games and i still have no idea how could he have played Black Ops.... my brother also has a Wii which i played a few times when i visited him but he never plays it these days since hes only now using/buying stuff that apple makes.... i could see myself playing some times wii games but the only fun game for me was Super Mario (but he didn't have that many games).

If the situation was different i would probably have a console for exclusives like Red Dead Redemption and Mortal Kombat which i loved playing with friends in net cafe , but until then PC all the way.

Ouch, those are some harsh prices.

Sold my xbox to get a gtx 660 so now i only have a pc to play xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Ouch, those are some harsh prices.

Sad thing is we are so close to other countries for importing goods but our country is so corrupt that it just doesn't exist...

Sad thing is we are so close to other countries for importing goods but our country is so corrupt that it just doesn't exist...

iv'e never heard of your country *-*

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

iv'e never heard of your country *-*

Really?

Don't they teach all of the countries in schools Geography class?

Really?

meh sorta kinda, its more about continents and the major countries

Really?

Fun exercise: try to do a color code for ~200 country with only 20 pens and then do the legend.

Do you not like any retro games? Some of the art in the 8 and 16 bit era is done really well, they are still great games. And look at games art style like Skyward Sword's, while the Wii is by no means a powerhouse the graphics style is beautiful.

And to this day, Shadow of the Colossus remains breathtakingly beautiful and that's a PS2 game.

I think it's so unfair to judge games based on graphics. They have to work with the technology at the time. If a game is "bad" because of graphics not being as good as the current technology's that would been games magically turn from great into awful when advanced in graphics technology are made. That simply isn't the case, a game doesn't go from good to bad because it doesn't look good anymore.

As for the controller problem, it's really something anyone can learn to handle. Slick always says controls feel far too small for him because he has big hands, but my hands are by no means small and I find using controllers perfectly fine. For comparison, I claw grip even very large, longer mice like the G600. For most people that's a long stretched palm grip mouse.

I didn't play many retro games.  I had a PS2 once but didn't play a lot on it. 

I'm not saying that games are bad because they have bad graphics. I just think having bad graphics it's bad for the experience in SOME games, but that's just my opinion.

I don't really care missing a lot of great games by not having a console, I am satisfied with all the games I have on PC.