Help with buying a laptop

Rabbicats101

My mom asked me to look into getting a laptop for my sister.  The price point we're looking for is around 600 and i'm not too educated on laptops so I was wondering if anyone knows what to look for and what to avoid when buying.  She wants a touch screen and she does play games like Minecraft and The Sims so it will need to be able to run those pretty well, but mostly it will be used for web browsing, word processing, and movie watching.  Any advice or product recommendations are greatly appreciated.  I'm in Canada too so it will need to be something I can order from within the country.

Is that Whoopi Goldberg?

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

A laptop with AMD and atleast 4gb RAM is usally pretty solid.
But intel also work but it wont perform as well in games.

Edited by Johannes_Lazor

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Is that Whoopi Goldberg?

yeah

op please change the pic to something decent

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

a dual core haswell chip

or an AMD APU (midrange) will be good enough

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

yeah

op please change the pic to something decent

tumblr_lw1e69S4tG1qgbszdo1_250.gif

Oh looky here, a Whoopi Goldberg hater.

jk

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

a dual core haswell chip

or an AMD APU (midrange) will be good enough

AMD would be a better choice since she play a bit of minecraft.

I have both a AMD laptop(about 500 bucks) and a intel laptop(about 700 bucks) and the AMD laptop perform better than the intel in games.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

how about a 500 pc with a 100 monitor straped to it?

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

how about a 500 pc with a 100 monitor straped to it?

She already has a computer. This is just for taking on trips and being able to do school work around the house and at school.  Stuff like that

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231687

Good lookin

6 gigs of ram enough for linus like browsing

The Intel 4000 graphics is not that good in minecraft. i have a similar laptop from HP but with intel 4200 graphics and it barely get past 30 fps with minecraft turned down to lowest.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

AMD would be a better choice since she play a bit of minecraft.

I have both a AMD laptop(about 500 bucks) and a intel laptop(about 700 bucks) and the AMD laptop perform better than the intel in games.

Yeah there are a million different laptop CPU's out there so I have no idea how any of them perform.  I usually just look for which has the highest number  :P

She already has a computer. This is just for taking on trips and being able to do school work around the house and at school.  Stuff like that

she could learn the responsability of caring for a computer if my house were burnin down the first thing i would grab is my 34kg computer 

[spoiler=My Beast Rig Damocles]Case: Coolermaster Storm Stryker Motherboard: Asus x79 deluxe CPU: Intel I7 4960x @3.6GHz (soon to be oc) RAM: Kingston HyperX 64GB @2400MHz GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Gigabyte) @4GB PSU: Corsair RM1000 Fully modular CPUCooler: Corsair H100i Watercooling Storage: Seagate 2TB SV35.6 SATA 6GB/s 7200RPM 64MB 3.5"   x2  Sound: Creative Soundblaster ZxR sound card

This is my old pc which I am reamending to be a media server or a nas. Motherboard: Generic fujitsu CPU: Intel pentium G640 @2.8 GHz RAM: 4GB generic fujitsu memory PSU:  CPUCooler: Stock intel cpu cooler Storage:  Fujitsu MHZ2120BH @120GB, Soon to have a HDD for more storage. 

_ASSASSIN_ Jerakl 

Yeah there are a million different laptop CPU's out there so I have no idea how any of them perform.  I usually just look for which has the highest number   :P

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317734

This seems good but it is slightly over the budget.

This will be able to play games such as minecraft and the sims without any problems.

Or this one, It should have similar performence but doesnt have a touch screen.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313719

Edited by Johannes_Lazor

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834317734

This seems good.

This will be able to play games such as minecraft and the sims without any problems.

Wow that's a great price for the spec.  I'll look into that one.  The second one looks good as well, but doesn't have a touchscreen which is one of the main things she wants.  

Wow that's a great price for the spec.  I'll look into that one.  The second one looks good as well, but doesn't have a touchscreen which is one of the main things she wants.  

if u missed his edit

buy this instead

that APU has a much better GPU

if u missed his edit

buy this instead

that APU has a much better GPU

Yes, But it doesnt have a touch screen.

One of the "requirements" was a touch screen.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Yes, But it doesnt have a touch screen.

One of the "requirements" was a touch screen.

How much better is the integrated GPU?  It might be worth seeing if there's a touchscreen laptop with that CPU.

How much better is the integrated GPU?  It might be worth seeing if there's a touchscreen laptop with that CPU.

Im not 100% sure but i would guess on about 5-15% better since the laptop with better graphics have 6gb RAM instead of 8gb.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Yeah i'm not sure she will notice.  Thank you for the recommendations.  The Lenovo Flex seems to have gotten the thumbs up from mom so we're going with that.

the touch screen laptop has 128 cores (shaders or what ever AMD is calling them) 

and the other one has 384  (handy list)

so its around 3 times faster

if u really need a touch screen keep searching

if u still havnt found one with an AMD cpu

the intel 4600 GPU is around 10% slower so its still great