Gaming/Editing build (about 1000$)

ggerchi

Hi guys,

I'm planning to build a pc for the purposes mentioned in the title. I want you to check the components I picked and advise anything, if you think it would make the PC better and just a little bit more expensive or wouldn't make it less powerful, but cheaper. Thanks for the help in advance.

These are the specs:

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k

Motherboard: Asrock H87M Pro 4

VGA: EVGA gtx 760 superclocked

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

PSU: Corsair CS650M

RAM: Kingston Fury 2X4Gb 1866Mhz

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb

SSD: Corsair Force LX 128Gb

Case: Corsair Graphite 230T

Dont get the i5 unless you get a z97 board. 

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

Dont get the i5 unless you get a z97 board.

I read that I can overclock any K-series CPU on Asrock's H87 motherboards. What are the advanteges of a Z97 board compared to it?

Sorry for late reply! 

I read that I can overclock any K-series CPU on Asrock's H87 motherboards. What are the advanteges of a Z97 board compared to it?

So the H87 version motherboards have very limited expansion + features compared the Z series counterpart. 

H series are not able to SLI any graphics cards nore OC. The only reason that you where able to OC on the board was due to a custom BIOS set by AsRock which Intel told them to change in future BIOS updates. On Z Series motherboards you also get the knowing that this motherboard was fully tested to be able to OC.

Take a look at this 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KdFXJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KdFXJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($249.90 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($64.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($98.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($81.94 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Corsair Force LX Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 760 2GB Enthusiast Edition Video Card  ($235.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Orange ATX Mid Tower Case  ($54.00 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1035.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I have no clue if this is around your budget but I changed some things around to help you out. 
If your going to be video editing and gaming with out overclocking then the Xeon will fit your needs. For around the same price as the i5 it has 8 cores to help Video rendering speeds and such. (Pretty much a i7 but lower cost) 

Now when I got my first SSD it was a sumsung 128GB SSD for 130$, if you have the chance to get this SSD for that same price now that all means get it! It will help so much in the future. Even if you have to save a small amount more then do it, you wont be disappointed! 

The case has more expansion room and overall I feel looks a lot nice and will match the motherboard heatsinks in color. 

The motherboard does OC! But! With the Xeon processor you cant never the less. With i7 performance and a motherboard that will serve your purpose this should perform with ease. 6 Sata ports, USB3, SLI ability and 6 USB ports should hold you down! 

Got you a water cooler, the 212 is good but I'v had one and its a dust magnet sadly... 

The Graphics card is a GTX and thus does not heat up as much as a AMD card. This mean's that you are able to go stock cooler on it and save some extra money and still get great performance out of it! 

For now you do not need 650W of Power! 500W will hold you down for now! 

Hope I helped! :D 

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

Sorry for late reply!

So the H87 version motherboards have very limited expansion + features compared the Z series counterpart.

H series are not able to SLI any graphics cards nore OC. The only reason that you where able to OC on the board was due to a custom BIOS set by AsRock which Intel told them to change in future BIOS updates. On Z Series motherboards you also get the knowing that this motherboard was fully tested to be able to OC.

Thank you for your reply.

So I changed the specs a bit and I planned a quite different pc than yours.

So first I realized that I don't really need a cpu that strong. Hyper threading is quite unnecesary for my purposes, so my choice is the i5 4570. I read that basically it's a i5 4670 with lower clock speed. I know that I can't overclock that.

Secondly the motherboard. I might be wrong but I searched for it a little bit, than I found that H97 is capable of sli (but now I don't really need it). I might got it wrong, but you said that i can't overclock my vga on a H97 board? If I can my choice will be the Gigabyte ga-h97m-d3h. I know that it's a micro atx board but I don't really need that much expansion.

I also chose a 500w psu.

This build cost 903$ now and I think I don't need a stronger one.

Thanks in advance :)

What kind of dollars are you using?

Thank you for your reply.
So I changed the specs a bit and I planned a quite different pc than yours.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What kind of dollars are you using?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

USD. Thanks, I didn't know, that I need tp quote.

It only can do multiplier OCs.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

USD. Thanks, I didn't know, that I need tp quote.

Better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DbNyt6

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I don't want to start an arguement, but I'd prefer a nvidia card.

So the latest specs:

Intel core I5 4570

Corsair hydro h60

Gigabyte ga-h97-d3h

Kingston hyperx fury 2x4gb 1866mhz

EVGA gtx 760 sc

Seagate barracuda 1tb

Kingson v300 ssd now 120gb

Corsair cx500m

Corsair graphite 230t

I don't want to start an arguement, but I'd prefer a nvidia card.

So the latest specs:

Intel core I5 4570

Corsair hydro h60

Gigabyte ga-h97-d3h

Kingston hyperx fury 2x4gb 1866mhz

EVGA gtx 760 sc

Seagate barracuda 1tb

Kingson v300 ssd now 120gb

Corsair cx500m

Corsair graphite 230t

That's quite the downgrade though. The 290 is neck and neck with the 780. 

That's quite the downgrade though. The 290 is neck and neck with the 780.

It is less powerful, but I just simply don't need a high end grafic card.

It is less powerful, but I just simply don't need a high end grafic card.

In that case, you can go quite cheaper: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mdc4YJ