Windows 8 Motherboard Swap

Hello Linusians!

I am thinking about changing my motherboard in a couple of months.

I'm changing from the Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H to the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H.

I'm running Windows 8.1 OEM. 

I wanted to know how I would go about this swap. Would I have to re-install Windows, or just the MB drivers?

Thanks

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

I have done this before. Windows usually just throws up a "This Windows is not verified" message of something, and you can either choose to ignore it or, better yet, phone up Microsoft and tell them you swapped your motherboard. They'll then okay your account and take off the "unverified" status.

If my memory serves me, I can't remember having to re-install anything.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7 .:. Processor: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz .:. Graphics Card: MSI GTX 770 Twin Frozr OC 2GB

Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1x 1000GB WD Blue .:. RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill RipjawzX 2133MHz .:. CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate

Case: NZXT H440 Black/Red .:. PSU: Corsair CX600M .:. Fans: 5x 120mm AeroCool Dead Silence, 1x 140mm AeroCool Dead Silence

It doesn't make a difference, When you change the MB all you need to do is change your MB Lol.  You wont need to install windows again or any software other than the drivers for the new MB like the USB Drivers, HDD Drivers, Network Drivers and Bla Bla.

You would only need to instal a new OS if your using a New HDD.

and IF you do get the Windows is not Verified, just use the product key from already on the HDD and re-use it, after 3 days it will automaticly be verified.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

While reinstalling is not obligatory I recommend it as old drivers do decrease performance (speaking from personal experience) UNLESS you are switching to a motherboard that has the same chipset as the previous one. As for Windows activation as KeithD said it really is no problem you just call the number for windows key recovery as an automated machine answers and you just have to enter a long code dictated by this machine into Windows and you'll be good to go (note this sometimes is not even necessary as Microsoft allowsa couple of major hardware changes before asking for reactivation, although not always)

It will un-verfiy Windows. It gives you a number to call which takes you through an automated process. Basically all you do is enter the numbers spoken onto the computer. That's it.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

No problem. Just swap it.

I've done it more than once (win8.1) and I didn't have to re-verify anything.If i remember right,it will just say windows build 9002 or something like that in the bottom right corner of your desktop for a few hours.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

It doesn't make a difference, When you change the MB all you need to do is change your MB Lol.  You wont need to install windows again or any software other than the drivers for the new MB like the USB Drivers, HDD Drivers, Network Drivers and Bla Bla.

You would only need to instal a new OS if your using a New HDD.

and IF you do get the Windows is not Verified, just use the product key from already on the HDD and re-use it, after 3 days it will automaticly be verified.

For the MB drivers, do I have to uninstall the older MB's drivers before removing it and installing the new one? And can I use the new MB's drivers from the included disk?

And BTW network won't be issue for me as I have a Wi-Fi card that works great without drivers.

Dream Build: 
CPU: Intel Core i420 "Blazewell" GPU: Quad Titan GT420s RAM: 420GB Dank Dominator SSD: 9001 TB WD LeafGreen

For the MB drivers, do I have to uninstall the older MB's drivers before removing it and installing the new one? And can I use the new MB's drivers from the included disk?

And BTW network won't be issue for me as I have a Wi-Fi card that works great without drivers.

Im not sure. When the MB is connected and you have booted using the new MB Windows will Detect the new hardware and attempt to install them, Overwriting the old ones.

If you get any conflicts then you may as well Uninstall and delete the drives related to the MB and then let windows Reinstall them or install them using the CD or the Manufactures website.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

I never had to re verify Windows going from a P8Z77V-LX to a Z77X-UP7. Sounds like you got a bad torrent :P

You shouldn't have to do anything with windows. It will sort itself out.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III