Custom Loop Rig

Go to solution Solved by Shaqo_Wyn,

Most likely the XL R2. The R4 feels cramped even without the custom loop. I would also like to focus on it being quiet.

In the XL R2. You could go with an Alphacool 240mm Monsta in the front (push/pull intake) and a 240mm ST30 in the top (push exhaust). Unfortunately a 45mm rad won't fit in the top or It'll be crazy tight. You'll have to remove a drive cage for the 240mm Monsta in the front. Tubing: Primochill Advanced LRT UV Blue. Fluid: distilled water with a monsoon silver res plug and a biocide like DeadWater. Waterblocks: R9 290X and CPU block from EK, acetal + nickel. Pump/res: if you want to keep a drive cage, get a 5.25" D5 bay res/pump combo from XSPC or Monsoon, if you're willing to ditch the drive cages, you can mount a D5 pump/res combo from EK  on the bottom of the case where the drive cage would go. Fans: depends on room in the budget. Ideally, Noctua NF-F12's. Fittings: 1/2 ID 3/4 OD compression fittings from Bitspower or Monsoon, tubing has to be 1/2 ID 3/4 OD too.

Let's start out by saying, I know some things about water cooling. I currently am using a closed loop H80I which is fine but I want to cool my R9 290X as well. The card performs well its just that the reference blower is too loud when playing games such as Battlefield 4 or Watch Dogs. I know what parts in water cooling does such as the reservoir holds coolant, pump is basically a pump, rads, fans, fittings, etc. My real problem now is parts that match each other. 

What I basically need are part recommendation for my current build. 

Current Specs

Case:Fractal R4( WILL upgrade to a XL R2 or 900D)

CPU:i7-3770k OC: 4.0( aiming for 4.6-8 with custom loop)

GPU:Reference R9 290X

PSU:Cooler Master GXII

MOBO:Asrock Z75 Pro3 (Will upgrade if necessary)

If anyone can put a kit for me that match these parts that would be great. (Super Lazy I know)

The R9 290x Water block must be a full block as well.

I have a budget of up to $600-$800 (This includes Fans for the rad) 

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

I wouldn't recommend upgrading cases, the r4 is fine for watercooling what parts you have.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Let's start out by saying, I know some things about water cooling. I currently am using a closed loop H80I which is fine but I want to cool my R9 290X as well. The card performs well its just that the reference blower is too loud when playing games such as Battlefield 4 or Watch Dogs. I know what parts in water cooling does such as the reservoir holds coolant, pump is basically a pump, rads, fans, fittings, etc. My real problem now is parts that match each other. 

Current Specs

If anyone can put a kit for me that match these parts that would be great. (Super Lazy I know)

Does it have to be quiet or do you just want the best performance? R4 would be fine. Otherwise the 900D. Decide on a case and we can help. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Does it have to be quiet or do you just want the best performance? R4 would be fine. Otherwise the 900D. Decide on a case and we can help. 

Most likely the XL R2. The R4 feels cramped even without the custom loop. I would also like to focus on it being quiet.

Case:Define R4 | MOBO:ASRock z75 Pro 3 | CPU:i7-3770k 4.0GHz | CPU Cooler:H100i | GPU:970 Strix | RAM:Hyper X 16GB | 

Peripherals:ATH-M50x Limited Blue Edition | K95 RGB | M65 RGB | Blue Yeti MIC | (3x)1920x2080 Acer Monitors

Little bit of dremel time could help, I think the R4 is a pretty nice case to fit and put custom hardware inside. In my opinion it's been just a little too much but it's worth a go in the Define R4.

XL R2 might be fine to upgrade to but the Corsair 900D is too much.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Little bit of dremel time could help, I think the R4 is a pretty nice case to fit and put custom hardware inside. In my opinion it's been just a little too much but it's worth a go in the Define R4.

XL R2 might be fine to upgrade to but the Corsair 900D is too much.

Yeah the case would pretty empty with what i'm doing. So i'm pretty sure i'll buy the XL R2. The Fractal is great and all but it feels cramped with just the H80i.

Coming from someone who owns a 900D, and just purchased an r4, the900D is massive and will look really dumb without 2 GPU's and massive radiators+ massive res.

It just looks empty inside :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Yeah the case would pretty empty with what i'm doing. So i'm pretty sure i'll buy the XL R2. The Fractal is great and all but it feels cramped with just the H80i.

Would you be thinking of adding another R9 290X in the future? I would try to get a hold of the fundamentals waterblock for the cpu and gpu (EK or XSPC/Koolance).

Radiators you might want to look at getting a thicker radiator with slower fans like the Alphacool Nexxos 360mm 60mm thick or was it 80mm >_> I'll leave you a link to their site

http://www.alphacool.com/

You might be interested in some lighting for aesthetic effects to show off certain components too.

Bitfenix Alchemy LED strips, phobya

P.S. Don't forget the pump, tubing & fitting. I'd grab hold of a couple zip-ties if you use barb fittings

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Current Specs

You don't sound like a hardcore watercooler so i would not recommend the 900D but you are right, the R4 gets very crowded with almost nothing in it when it comes to watercooling.. I feel though that you would be better of along the lines of a h440, Carbide air 540 and if you really want to get a big watercooling case look towards the Phanteks Enthoo Primo or a Little Devil mid tower case.

You also have not put your full specifications that your build consist of and what you would want to add in the future so creating a kit for you would be hit or miss. You do however have a really good budget. 

Things to consider........

1) do you want a single loop?

2) do you want silence and performance?

3) do you have/want a color scheme for you build?

4) are you capable enough to do a custom waterloop by yourself?

5) is there a compatible waterblock for your GPU?

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You don't sound like a hardcore watercooler so i would not recommend the 900D but you are right, the R4 gets very crowded with almost nothing in it when it comes to watercooling.. I feel though that you would be better of along the lines of a h440, Carbide air 540 and if you really want to get a big watercooling case look towards the Phanteks Enthoo Primo or a Little Devil mid tower case.

You also have not put your full specifications that your build consist of and what you would want to add in the future so creating a kit for you would be hit or miss. You do however have a really good budget. 

Things to consider........

1) do you want a single loop?

2) do you want silence and performance?

3) do you have/want a color scheme for you build?

4) are you capable enough to do a custom waterloop by yourself?

5) is there a compatible waterblock for your GPU?

1) I'd prefer Single

2)Mostly Silence

3)Blue and Black Interior

4)I'll research heavily.

5)There are quite a few on Frozencpu but they have only one review and I need more information before buying the waterblock.

1) I'd prefer Single

2)Mostly Silence

3)Blue and Black Interior

4)I'll research heavily.

5)There are quite a few on Frozencpu but they have only one review and I need more information before buying the waterblock.

When you say blue and black do you mean just the case or the case and water?  While you are on frozencpu, check out the Little Devil, Phanteks Enthoo Primo cases. Also look you the NZXT H440 and Corsair Air 540 cases.

When you say blue and black do you mean just the case or the case and water?  While you are on frozencpu, check out the Little Devil, Phanteks Enthoo Primo cases. Also look you the NZXT H440 and Corsair Air 540 cases.

The interior such as the water blocks being black or clear tubing with dyed blue water with led plugs. Something like that I suppose. The case i'm choosing will most likely be the Fractal XL R2. 

The interior such as the water blocks being black or clear tubing with dyed blue water with led plugs. Something like that I suppose. The case i'm choosing will most likely be the Fractal XL R2. 

That case can accommodate watercooling but with thin radiators. You can't even get a thick 280mm radiator without blocking your motherboard or it pressing on the connectors. The r9 290 puts out mega heat and you need a beefy radiator to do proper cooling. I think i will pas on this one. 

Hope you get through though.

Here is a build for you to consider.

is a build for you to consider.

Thanks so much for the link :D

In the XL R2. You could go with an Alphacool 240mm Monsta in the front (push/pull intake) and a 240mm ST30 in the top (push exhaust). Unfortunately a 45mm rad won't fit in the top or It'll be crazy tight. You'll have to remove a drive cage for the 240mm Monsta in the front. Tubing: Primochill Advanced LRT UV Blue. Fluid: distilled water with a monsoon silver res plug and a biocide like DeadWater. Waterblocks: R9 290X and CPU block from EK, acetal + nickel. Pump/res: if you want to keep a drive cage, get a 5.25" D5 bay res/pump combo from XSPC or Monsoon, if you're willing to ditch the drive cages, you can mount a D5 pump/res combo from EK  on the bottom of the case where the drive cage would go. Fans: depends on room in the budget. Ideally, Noctua NF-F12's. Fittings: 1/2 ID 3/4 OD compression fittings from Bitspower or Monsoon, tubing has to be 1/2 ID 3/4 OD too.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

In the XL R2. You could go with an Alphacool 240mm Monsta in the front (push/pull intake) and a 360mm ST30 in the top (push exhaust). Unfortunately a 45mm rad won't fit in the top or It'll be crazy tight. You'll have to remove a drive cage for the 240mm Monsta in the front. Tubing: Primochill Advanced LRT UV Blue. Fluid: distilled water with a monsoon silver res plug and a biocide like DeadWater. Waterblocks: R9 290X and CPU block from EK, acetal + nickel. Pump/res: if you want to keep a drive cage, get a 5.25" D5 bay res/pump combo from XSPC or Monsoon, if you're willing to ditch the drive cages, you can mount a D5 pump/res combo from EK on the bottom of the case where the drive cage would go. Fans: depends on room in the budget. Ideally, Noctua NF-F12's.

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much.

@Shaqo_Wyn

As my late sensei would say, you da man.