Xbox One systems will no longer double as dev kits, report claims

Puddleuk

Source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a583173/microsoft-no-longer-plans-for-xbox-one-retail-units-to-double-as-dev-kits.html#~oJxQFvq2cBUCE0

A feature that would allow retail Xbox One units to become developer kits is no longer planned, according to Microsoft.

Xbox Advanced Technology Group's Martin Fuller said during an audience Q&A there are "no plans" for the feature, which would allow developers to debug and create games without additional Microsoft-supplied hardware. The feature was proposed alongside Microsoft's ID@Xbox scheme last August.

"In the end, although that was a very admirable goal, it hasn't happened unfortunately. Can't tell you the specifics of exactly why not."

When asked to elaborate on whether the feature would arrive eventually, Fuller replied: "As far as I'm aware there are no plans. I'm not aware of the reason why we didn't manage to do that."

Think back the the original Xbox One unveiling. Is there ANYTHING that was actually delivered? Even if it was unpopular.

Always online DRM - Gone

Family Sharing - Gone

Kinect - Gone

Dev Kit Plan - Gone

I must be one of the few people that was disappointed with the removal of Kinect since it literally gave the midde finger to any Dev making Kinect only games and those that purchased early. Microsoft should have a backbone and stand their ground on at least one thing. The Kinect was the Xbox Ones Killer app (If used well over the next few years) but now that it is removed the One is merely a less powerful PS4 and nothing more in my view.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

99% of consumers are unaffected, although it would have been nice I don't see it as something that they should be obligated to enable.

Isn't the Wii U coming close to Xbone sales after the Mario Kart 8 release?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

hurrdurr, peeceemastardrace praise loard gayben lolol consul pesnts

But seriously, it's not a big deal. It sucks for small-scale devs, sure, but there has to be at least some benefit to this. Maybe less shitware in the Xbox Store, though that also stops possible groundbreaking games from being released. All I know is that no matter what happens, I will still be buying an Xbox One.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

yes it is

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Xbox One lifetime sales never surpassed Wii U. Wii U is still 2nd sales wise.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

yes it is

Thank you.

Xbox One lifetime sales never surpassed Wii U. Wii U is still 2nd sales wise.

Unsurprising. You know it's entirely possible Microsoft has never cut a profit from Xbox sales, period?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The removal of the feature is only part of the issue, my main issue is the complete lack of support from Microsoft, they change their minds and reverse near enough everything. This feature was something that would allow the One to be used as a Dev Kit, it would have supposedly done this though a firmware update, so the hardware is capable. 

Even the "power of the cloud" which Microsoft sang from the rooftops nearly all of last year has had very very little mention, even at E3 with the exception being the Crackdown demo. When Microsoft announce their next console why should I (or any sane person) believe a single word they say? In the space of a year Micrsoft went from having some respect from me to having VERY little.

Project Tank

I must be one of the few people that was disappointed with the removal of Kinect since it literally gave the midde finger to any Dev making Kinect only games and those that purchased early. Microsoft should have a backbone and stand their ground on at least one thing. The Kinect was the Xbox Ones Killer app (If used well over the next few years) but now that it is removed the One is merely a less powerful PS4 and nothing more in my view.

They didn't "remove" Kinect, they are just selling consoles that don't come with Kinect for people who don't want it, which is most of their users anyways - but it's fucking retarded that they waited that long to have a Kinect-free Xbox anyways. Not everyone wants to pay $100 more just for a console (if you even want a console).

Even the "power of the cloud" which Microsoft sang from the rooftops nearly all of last year has had very very little mention, even at E3 with the exception being the Crackdown demo. When Microsoft announce their next console why should I (or any sane person) believe a single word they say? In the space of a year Micrsoft went from having some respect from me to having VERY little.

They probably realized that a majority of their userbase do not have appropriate internet connections to stream games from the cloud, like everyone else who's living in 'Murica (I don't know about other countries, but we have the crappiest ISP's here).

And if you're just now losing respect for Microsoft, I don't know what to tell you other than pay attention to them touting that they care about this-and-that when they do the complete opposite.

That is fine. I was doubting this from Microsoft that they will do this, the simple fact that they drop indie game sale system, there is just no point for doing this, beside costing money for support. Nintendo is getting them slowly to be an indie console. Slowly picking up indie devs, and picking up kickstarter project by offering dev kits for free, and offering the dev kits for dirt cheap, and dropping basically any requirements.

99% of consumers are unaffected, although it would have been nice I don't see it as something that they should be obligated to enable.

Weeeell technically yes they're unaffected, however this will definitely put a dent into more indie development as well as potential mods that could theoretically have happened.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Weeeell technically yes they're unaffected, however this will definitely put a dent into more indie development as well as potential mods that could theoretically have happened.

I can't argue that because it's true, I commented because historically dev kits have been seperate pieces of designated hardware or software when it comes to consoles, and Microsoft aren't doing anyone an unusual disservice by not making all the consumer units dev consoles, or setting any kind of precedent AFAIK.

I did say consumers, the remaining 1% I left open for consumers who may have decided to take advantage of their having a developer kit to work with in the event that they did.