sapphire=shit?

If by not mainstream you mean despite being AMD's no1 GPU partner (and ATi before) and having been in the PC tech game since 2001 then sure, they haven't been around since the 80s like Gb/Asustek/Msi but they're definitely not a company I'd sideline, Sapphire make good products.

I agree with you if you mean just for motherboards and not overall though, but Sapphire is a big name IMO.

Yup they're totally awesome for custom graphics coolers etc but not quite big in the motherboard department.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

MOTHERBOARDS DON'T CAUSE PERFORMANCE ISSUES.

I thought that once and bought pretty much the cheapest crap I could find (online).

That was a stupid idea. Motherboards can cause performance issues (below a certain price-point).

But most of the time performance issues like these are caused by viruses, Adware and random garbage and residue.

If you can install a fresh OS on a clean drive and suddenly it's all working well again, then it's obviously a software/virus issue.

It's also possible that the hard drive is or became the problem. (Or both)

I also had issues with my hard drive before and simply couldn't find the source of my performance issues, because I didn't consider storage devices... (Also I love that W8 shows drive read&write performance^^)

I thought that once and bought pretty much the cheapest crap I could find (online).

That was a stupid idea. Motherboards can cause performance issues (below a certain price-point).

They shouldn't, you must have had a defective board. My friend and I bought a $45 AM3+ motherboard and tested it against a $200 motherboard with the same speed CPU and he got the same write speed to an SSD, and HDD, RAM had the same speed, and he got the same fps in Minecraft.

They shouldn't, you must have had a defective board. My friend and I bought a $45 AM3+ motherboard and tested it against a $200 motherboard with the same speed CPU and he got the same write speed to an SSD, and HDD, RAM had the same speed, and he got the same fps in Minecraft.

What about simple stuff like the mobo not supporting features and configurations so that f.e. RAM is forced to clock down etc. I think that was my problem. I had cheap RAM that got clocked even slower. Also my Phenom II was pretty crappy, too...

What about simple stuff like the mobo not supporting features and configurations so that f.e. RAM is forced to clock down etc. I think that was my problem. I had cheap RAM that got clocked even slower. Also my Phenom II was pretty crappy, too...

That's features. It's not the MOBOs fault. You just have to read what it supports. RAM speed doesn't really matter unless you're on an APU (or a workstation PC) and the Phenom II is crap because it's a crap CPU.

That's features. It's not the MOBOs fault. You just have to read what it supports. RAM speed doesn't really matter unless you're on an APU (or a workstation PC) and the Phenom II is crap because it's a crap CPU.

I agree with everything except for the Phenom II part...the Phenoms were awesome chips during their time. I still use the 965 on my gaming rig

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man