Thermal Paste (AS5)

I have a 4770K and I want to get some new thermal paste because I want to replace the stock one that came with the H100i because my cpu runs at 36 degrees idle and I am hoping to improve that by a couple degrees. The only good thermal paste available to me is arctic silver 5. There is also prolimatech PK-3. I read that arctic silver 5 is not that good. What are your thoughts? I really need an answer.

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I haven't really heard bad things about Arctic Silver 5.... I have Arctic Cooling MX-2 and it is sufficient.

@Atomicnerd64 You will have it idle maaaaaaybeeeeee at 35C. Don't waste your money on different thermal paste because the stuff you get is actually not much different from everything else.

@Atomicnerd64 You will have it idle maaaaaaybeeeeee at 35C. Don't waste your money on different thermal paste because the stuff you get is actually not much different from everything else.

It is 25 euros for 12 grams and it wil propably last me for a couple of years

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

nevermind idle, what are load temps

load temps with folding and prime 95 were about 77 degrees and I saw a peak at 79 but never saw it again

It is 25 euros for 12 grams and it wil propably last me for a couple of years

So buy it when you actually need thermal paste... Don't buy it to use right away because you're still wasting perfectly good paste.

load temps with folding and prime 95 were about 77 degrees and I saw a peak at 79 but never saw it again

Yeah but that's under unnatural conditions. Those are good temps for stressing load.

nor will you see it ever again when playing games

you are fine, only replace it if temps get worse

AS5 is good contrary to what the masses say but it is just that there are better TIMs at the same price and some that cost more but are justified due to the other benefits they offer like non-curing and stuff like that.

How come you can only get AS5? Where ever you are buying the AS5 from there has to be more choice.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

AS5 is good contrary to what the masses say but it is just that there are better TIMs at the same price and some that cost more but are justified due to the other benefits they offer like non-curing and stuff like that.

How come you can only get AS5? Where ever you are buying the AS5 from there has to be more choice.

It's actually pretty terrible as far as numbers go. One independent lab test showed it had extremely low thermal conductivity and I was able to replicate their results in my own lab. Having said that, TIM isn't the most important thing in water cooling So the effect of a lower thermal conductivity isn't that pronounced. Still, I would definitely go for PK-3 if between those two options.

It's actually pretty terrible as far as numbers go. One independent lab test showed it had extremely low thermal conductivity and I was able to replicate their results in my own lab. Having said that, TIM isn't the most important thing in water cooling So the effect of a lower thermal conductivity isn't that pronounced. Still, I would definitely go for PK-3 if between those two options.

I have used AS5, Noctua's NT-H1, Indigo Extreme, IC Diamond, Liquid Ultra and Gelid GC Extreme and I personal choice is IC Diamond but that is only due to my ambient. When i have an ambient lower than 26C none of them beat Indigo Extreme. In a few weeks i will start using Thermene and see how that goes.

Look up thermene and do some tests on it and post it here, i would love to read it.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I have a 4770K and I want to get some new thermal paste because I want to replace the stock one that came with the H100i because my cpu runs at 36 degrees idle and I am hoping to improve that by a couple degrees. The only good thermal paste available to me is arctic silver 5. There is also prolimatech PK-3. I read that arctic silver 5 is not that good. What are your thoughts? I really need an answer.

I have Arctic Cooling MX-2 - It made quite the different with maintaining a low temperature by around 6-9 Degrees lower to what I previously had so I as happy.

I knew AS5 was not the best but I did not think it would be that bad

Never trust a company's marketing specs, that's pretty much universal for anything.

Thanks for the heads up and good luck on your build it's looks badass! :)

i have always used AS5 and i think that i will always use it, i think its a really good one have never had a problem with it and it performs great. (=

I don't have pesonal experience with this cpu but from what I have come to understand 79 is not that bad especialy if your using the Intel cooler.

I am also in the market for some new thermal paste, I have read this great review on Tom's Hardware and for me I have decided to go with either the Gelid Solutions GC Extreme for $11 or the Prolimatech PRO-PK3 for $7.  By chance could anyone comment on the quality of those two that I just mentioned please?  I will be using it on a Cooler Master Seidon 240M.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

The GC-Extreme has a slightly better thermal conductivity and that usually translates to better heat transfer if everything else is the same. If that's at least for a 3g tube, then go for it- it will last for a long time.

Yup, 3.5g and comes with a little plastic spreader spatula.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Go for it, it is thicker than most pastes and you will need that spatula but that's actually a good thing. Warm up the tube in hot water and it gets a lot easier to spread.

Right on, I just ordered it.  I might even try replacing the paste on my 780 if I feel adventurous.