weird rasberry pi question

hey everyone, so my brother is burrowing my laptop and is half a hour away. turns out thats the only sd card reader in the house.

my usb to micro sd card reader thing is not working for some reason. so is it possible to use my phone as a sd card reader and install a OS on the sd card that way? I dunno. Im just about to experiment with it. any other ideas? 

I don't understand the question.

He is asking if he can use his phone as a SD card reader to make a bootable SD card I believe. Although I would say that it depends on your phone, I know that my phone works as an SD card reader, so it should work, though it may change depending on your phone

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

I don't understand the question.

sorry. very scattered post. don't feel the best. 

what I'm trying to do is install a OS on my rasberry pi. and my micro sd reader is not working. is there anyway to push it over the network, or something similar. 

He is asking if he can use his phone as a SD card reader to make a bootable SD card I believe. Although I would say that it depends on your phone, I know that my phone works as an SD card reader, so it should work, though it may change depending on your phone

rooted galaxy s4. thank you!

rooted galaxy s4. thank you!

I have a galaxy s4, and I can easily write to SD cards, it should work fine, though I have never tried an OS before

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

I have a galaxy s4, and I can easily write to SD cards, it should work fine, though I have never tried an OS before

ah. its not working because you cant assign the phone or sd card a drive letter

ah. its not working because you cant assign the phone or sd card a drive letter

Yep you got it, because of the stupid way that android phones are now displayed as a media device many operations are not possible. Never understood way they went away from the mass storage option (think that was what it was called?) like it use to be, was a thousand times faster to do anything with and generally worked way better for me. Also meant you would have an mirco SD card drive pop up and the internal sd card, not just the internal one. 

They did try explain why it changed at one point but nothing can explain how painfully slow it is to even transfer a file from one location on the internal sd to another using a PC to do so.

Yep you got it, because of the stupid way that android phones are now displayed as a media device many operations are not possible. Never understood way they went away from the mass storage option (think that was what it was called?) like it use to be, was a thousand times faster to do anything with and generally worked way better for me. Also meant you would have an mirco SD card drive pop up and the internal sd card, not just the internal one. 

They did try explain why it changed at one point but nothing can explain how painfully slow it is to even transfer a file from one location on the internal sd to another using a PC to do so.

I believe that the mass-storage and media device option is computer-side and not phone-side. I have an HTC One M8 and I have no issues loading it as a mass-storage rather than media.... Check Windows to see if it is in your settings. On Windows8.1 I was able to choose the mass-storage option.

Just my $0.02, could be wrong.

Also, OP, I don't see a reason why you couldn't do that, unless you have to write the drive a certain way in order to make it bootable. If all you need to do is write the files over, then it shouldnt be an issue (assuming you can turn your micro-SD card into a full-size SD card with a converter to load into the Pi).

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

I believe that the mass-storage and media device option is computer-side and not phone-side. I have an HTC One M8 and I have no issues loading it as a mass-storage rather than media.... Check Windows to see if it is in your settings. On Windows8.1 I was able to choose the mass-storage option.

Also, OP, I don't see a reason why you couldn't do that, unless you have to write the drive a certain way in order to make it bootable. If all you need to do is write the files over, then it shouldnt be an issue (assuming you can turn your micro-SD card into a full-size SD card with a converter to load into the Pi).

really? well. I have win 8.1, let me try that

That is very interesting, I was under the impression somewhere around ice cream sandwich (I think?) google changed the way our phone connects to our pc's. This was from mass storage to MTP and I was not aware that there was anything on the PC side that would change this as I thought you would have to enable mass storage on the phone side for it to work. Currently the only options are MTP or PTP.

So your M8 pops up as removal storage and has a drive letter as opposed to coming up as a media player? Can you tell me exactly what you did in windows that has caused this?

Thanks!

That is very interesting, I was under the impression somewhere around ice cream sandwich (I think?) google changed the way our phone connects to our pc's. This was from mass storage to MTP and I was not aware that there was anything on the PC side that would change this as I thought you would have to enable mass storage on the phone side for it to work. Currently the only options are MTP or PTP.

So your M8 pops up as removal storage and has a drive letter as opposed to coming up as a media player? Can you tell me exactly what you did in windows that has caused this?

Thanks!

pictures.jpg

That is what pops up when i attach to my laptop. It was chosen when I plugged it in the first time and was able to choose how it opens up. I am not aware of the best way to change it for you.

Desktop: ASUS ROG Maximus V Formula - 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz - Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 - G.Skill 16 GB 1600Mhz - Antec 900W - 128GB Crucial M4 - 2TB Hitachi HDD - NZXT H440

Mobile: Nexus 6P (current)  - Razer Blade 256 GB Laptop

pictures.jpg

That is what pops up when i attach to my laptop. It was chosen when I plugged it in the first time and was able to choose how it opens up. I am not aware of the best way to change it for you.

thanks but unfortunately that is still MTP and not mass storage mode. You can tell by the little media player icon representing your m8. Thanks anyway though!