Cutting-Edge Aircraft Of The Future Revealed

ETRJ

Scientists and engineers at BAE Systems have unveiled some of the cutting-edge technologies that could be commonplace on civil and military aircraft by 2040.

They include 3D printers that are so advanced they can print drones during a mission, aircraft parts that can heal themselves, a long-range aircraft which divides into several smaller aircraft when it reaches its destination, and a weapon that could engage and destroy missiles at the speed of light.

The examples are among the concepts currently being looked at by BAE's research team, which had a budget of £117m in 2013.

Nick Colosimo, from the research and development team, said: "Of course we don't know exactly what sorts of aircraft technologies will be used in 2040 with any certainty, but it's great to be able to show the public some concepts that might be possible through projecting where today's technology could get to."

On-board 3D printing would see designs fed to them by a remote control room where a human commander decides what should be produced during a mission.

The firm also showed-off a flexible aircraft system which combines smaller jets for efficient air travel, before they split apart at the destination to adapt to various scenarios - such as surveillance or combat.

The energy-beam weapon is called a director energy system. It is a futuristic attachment weapon for aircraft that is capable of firing a concentrated beam of energy at the speed of light.

They are already in use on battlefields to protect ground troops from incoming projectiles such as missiles or mortars.

BAE also detailed how aircraft could one day heal themselves from damage sustained in flight.

A lightweight adhesive fluid inside a pattern of carbon nanotubes would be released when outer material is damaged to quickly "set" mid-flight, providing a temporary fix.

Source:http://news.sky.com/story/1296649/cutting-edge-aircraft-of-the-future-revealed

Looks ugly if you ask me

most futuristic concepts are ugly

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Every major aircraft manufacturer releases their current "vision of the future" from time to time. The ones shown here are neither promising nor really new ideas.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Every G7 country including Russia is working on similar platforms...£117m is not a lot of money on a project like this,...Look at BAE's new rail gun in assocition with US Navy, that will work day in day out on a cruiser with enough power to light a small city! now thats state of the art!

And that matters... How?

it matters for me because im an aviation enthusiast and friggin love planes and i will do a PPL(Private Pilot License) soon

it matters for me because im an aviation enthusiast and friggin love planes and i will do a PPL(Private Pilot License) soon

Then you should know that function > aesthetics, especially with early models.

As someone who works in the aviation industry and just spent 6 months working on aviation research I can tell you that none of these will happen by 2040 if they happen at all.

It take around 30 years to develop a new aircraft so unless all of this tech is working perfectly now it is doubtful it will be ready by 2040.

They are literally re-inventing the wheel.

The first render looks like the B2 spirit:

baes-transformer-03-1-522x293.jpg1280px-B-2_Spirit_original.jpg\

The second render looks like a modified SR-71 Blackbird:

baes-directedenergy-04-1-522x293.jpg300px-Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

This is pretty insane.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Wow, they couldn't afford a better concepting software than Bryce 3D from 1997 on Mac OS 7?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Then you should know that function > aesthetics, especially with early models.

Yeah that's true but still, i don't like the looks of the future planes and to be honest i think the oldschool planes look beauitful

Yeah that's true but still, i don't like the looks of the future planes and to be honest i think the oldschool planes look beauitful

It might look better eventually. It doesn't matter what industry it is in, when you are developing something brand-new you don't worry about aesthetics until the product is done.

It might look better eventually. It doesn't matter what industry it is in, when you are developing something brand-new you don't worry about aesthetics until the product is done.

yeah true

@ionbasa B2 is also based off German WWII "flying wing" designed aircraft such as the ME163, alot of designs and ideas are reused in aviation. Barely a modern plane in the sky that isn't using some of BAE's electronics.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

A bunch of scientists makes 3d models of drones and aircrafts for which they imagine weird super powers and no one bats an eye, but if you play video games with similar content all day everyone loses their minds!

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List