iPhone Appeal?

Winkly

Hey guys, so this is something that I've had bottled up for a while and is very hard to express with people who don't have experience using Android and iOS.

I've used iPhones since the iPhone 3G, after that I had the 4, 4S, and 5. Around the time of the iPhone 4S is when I realized how prominant Android was becoming in the mobile scene with their recent updates. Foolishly, I decided to purchase an iPhone 5 on release day. A few months later I realized I made a poor decision and was unhappy with my iPhone to which I decided to get a Galaxy S4. Over a year later and now I use a HTC One M8.

Now everyone knows my history that I've extensivley used both iOS and Android for multiple years, I simply cannot see how anyone would find buying a iPhone 5S or 5C a good idea. I don't know if it's a social thing because everyone in my area (NYC) are using the newest iPhones, everyone from doctors to 14 year old girls.

The latest Android phones and even last years models have better battery, camera, build quality, speakers, more features and WAY better displays then the iPhone's outdated 4" <720P display. And the truth is at this point, Android is miles ahead of iOS 7 and especially iOS 8 which offers pretty much nothing new.

So, what is it that makes people so drawn towards the iPhone? I can explain how great phones like the Galaxy S5, HTC One, Lg G3, etc are to my friends and family until I'm blue in the face and yet they just don't care and end up buying the inferior product that is at this point, the iPhone.

Discuss?

This.

456px-Apple_logo_black.svg.png

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

It's built well. It is intuitive for pretty much everyone.

I have an HTC One though because I still prefer android and love the front speakers.

Hey guys, so this is something that I've had bottled up for a while and is very hard to express with people who don't have experience using Android and iOS.

I've used iPhones since the iPhone 3G, after that I had the 4, 4S, and 5. Around the time of the iPhone 4S is when I realized how prominant Android was becoming in the mobile scene with their recent updates. Foolishly, I decided to purchase an iPhone 5 on release day. A few months later I realized I made a poor decision and was unhappy with my iPhone to which I decided to get a Galaxy S4. Over a year later and now I use a HTC One M8.

Now everyone knows my history that I've extensivley used both iOS and Android for multiple years, I simply cannot see how anyone would find buying a iPhone 5S or 5C a good idea. I don't know if it's a social thing because everyone in my area (NYC) are using the newest iPhones, everyone from doctors to 14 year old girls.

The latest Android phones and even last years models have better battery, camera, build quality, speakers, more features and WAY better displays then the iPhone's outdated 4" <720P display. And the truth is at this point, Android is miles ahead of iOS 7 and especially iOS 8 which offers pretty much nothing new.

So, what is it that makes people so drawn towards the iPhone? I can explain how great phones like the Galaxy S5, HTC One, Lg G3, etc are to my friends and family until I'm blue in the face and yet they just don't care and end up buying the inferior product that is at this point, the iPhone.

Discuss?

Some people just want a simple well built phone then the iPhone is a good choice.

And some people think that when you have an iphone you look ''Rich"'  xD.

I've been using Android phones since they launched and sometimes I'm thinking to switch to ios just for simple things because the software on samsung devices just sucks and im using cyanogenmod to make it usable but i need to tweak it and use workarounds to make it usable and i'm getting tired of that. 

Yes I know that a nexus device will solve that but I'm  stuck on a contract. And I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a phone.

Well i got a chance to use a iphone 5s and well honestly i can see people geting for the small desgin and good looks but its just too limiting for me, it Doesn't give you the ability to change things like in android but its good looking and well built but well people like it because Apple.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Good build quality, fast simple, loads of apps and great music management. iPhones are a very complete package. 

Twitter | Steam |

marketing, marketing and marketing, the average person dont look up information about the things they buy

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

sure ... in your dreams ;)

If you think that a 4" 720p displays is outdated you probably heard too much marketing from 'the other side'

marketing, marketing and marketing, the average person dont look up information about the things they buy

It is really annoying to always get called out as an idiot, dumb or not educated because someone buys an Apple product.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

If you think that a 4" 720p displays is outdated you probably heard too much marketing from 'the other side'

It is really annoying to always get called out as an idiot, dumb or not educated because someone buys an Apple product.

i never said that the iphones are bad, but they arent good enough to be as big as they are, very VERY good marketing made them this big.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

The display on the HTC One M8 is far superior in every field from color reproduction to sharpness. Even Samsung's OLED display's are far better looking even if they tend to over saturate colors.

The display on the HTC One M8 is far superior in every field from color reproduction to sharpness. Even Samsung's OLED display's are far better looking even if they tend to over saturate colors.

really? http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Screen-comparison-G3-vs-Xperia-Z2-vs-Galaxy-S5-vs-One-M8-vs-iPhone-5s_id3747/page/4

I have been a Android user for 4 years now (Starting with the s1), and previously i have been hating on apple/iphone really hard

However, This years i will buy the iphone 6 and for the first time in my life purchase an apple product.

I have many reasons for that:

- I just like the overall looks better

- I still feel like its a top notch/luxury product, and they are very built well (Though newer android products really come close with the build quality, eg. lg g3 or htc one)

- I like the ecosystem as a whole, Devices just comunicate perfectly with each other

- There are still many exclusive apps

- Apps feel perfectly optimized / no compability issues (Which is logical since apps only have to deal with one device rather than an infinite amount of different hardware)

- iOs apps are often superior to their Android equivalents

- There is still the brand/name and quality feeling

- It is just simpler. It does what you want it to do with less effort. At least i feel that way. Just the stock calender, clock, email apps etc feel way, way superior than the stock android apps.

- The OS still feels a lot more fluid than Android for me at least. Android, even though most of the time there is much better Hardware built in, just doesnt seem to take advantage of that hardware very well ( or just needs way too much). There are still a lot of framedrops, apps take too long to load etc. At least i feel that way. Its not as well optimized since, again, there are thousands of android plattforms but just one iOs platform

Overall iOS just feels more mature for me.

When i look back now Android was the better choice for me 5 years ago. When i started it was all about modding, experiencing different apps, doing as much as possible with my phone. 

My phone was basically a showcase of what android/ technology in general could do.

I have grown and with me my tasks. Meetings, Dates, Work etc..

In buisness life its not about the cool features a phone has, its about keeping things simple, clean and fast. iOS just does the same tasks for me with less effort and in a shorter period of time.

So for me, the iPhone is the better everday tool, and still as good as android devices as an entertainment device

I am still a PcMasterracer, i still laugh about console peasants, 30 fps is still a joke for me, i still praise GabeN, but i just prefer iOs. Shoot me.

After all people seem to forget that a smartphone is something that is supposed to make our lifes easier. There is no point in arguing over it for years and years. Because there is no right or wrong answer. You cant objectivly say what is the better OS, since it is a subjective decision. 

For me it is iOS. For you it might be Android. Who cares? Just go for the one you like better and enjoy it.

I´m not saying I´m Batman, all I´m saying is nobody ever saw me and Batman in one room.

This is one opinion, if you look at the same picture side by side on the Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, and HTC One M8, the iPhone will lose every time. And yes, lol I've tried this a group of people. Can't speak for the G3 yet though as I haven't used one.

LiquidBatman, very good points. If you having used both decide that you prefer using iOS for your needs then enjoy.

It offers all I need, I like the design and I personally like IOS. I'm also not a fan of the larger screens on flagship android devices.

Its just preference I guess, and some of the positives of android arent needed for most people. (P.S I have used both)

Intel i7 4770k @4.5ghz, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Asus Geforce GTX 780, Corsair h100i, Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb, WD Black 1tb, Corsair 750D, Corsair AX860i w/ Sleeved Cables.

I rarely leave the build logs section.

This is one opinion, if you look at the same picture side by side on the Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, and HTC One M8, the iPhone will lose every time.

opinion, that is an actual test?

That is your opinion, which you are trying to force on others.

I TRIED out an iphone 4s i can see why people like it, it looks/feels premium in a way even the HTC doesnt come close to imho. The screen is sharp and has very good colors, the OS is responsive and while i4s is now 3 years old or so, its still has the flagship speed to it.

Also i never ever encountered a phone that has a better tactile feedback or a more satisfying click than the apple ones.My impression was more like, its a phone that works out of the box, no nonsense. Android is good and i still prefer it though but i can see why less tech savvy people go for iphones. And of course because even if you live under a rock you've heard of the iphone, while i highly doubt you ever heard of, for example the xperia z1 compact, so naturally you go buy the one you actually know it exists. Its a pretty viable option all-in-all, depends from person to person what he wants/likes.

Even Linus did an iSwitched back video, and he said its doable.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo:MSI Z87-G43 RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB 1866MHz SSD:Samsung 840 120GB GPU:Gigabyte GTX770 2GB PSU:EVGA NEX650G Case:Fractal Design Define R4 Cooler:Corsair H80i 

It's built well. It is intuitive for pretty much everyone.

I have an HTC One though because I still prefer android and love the front speakers.

If it was for that everyone would be using windows phone, but that little shiny apple logo has sold millions and it does not matter how crappy the next iPhone is, people will still buy it, it is more of a status symbol right now because no one wants to be seen using an nokia for example.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

If it was for that everyone would be using windows phone, but that little shiny apple logo has sold millions and it does not matter how crappy the next iPhone is, people will still buy it, it is more of a status symbol right now because no one wants to be seen using an nokia for example.

It has better build quality than any windows phone, and is intuitive for noobs. I'm not exactly biased, I have an HTC One... But iPhones aren't crappy. You seem to be, and your profile pic supports it, a fanboy.

I have a 5S and a 920.

The 920 is solid but it isn't premium. Windows Phone 8 is not as polished or up to scratch as iOS.

Apps matter. And since WP8 doesn't have the apps I still use on iOS, I don't switch over fullly. 

Face the music, iOS just works better for some people. Shocker. The iPhone hardware is tighter and just feels like something you spent a lot of money on, the only Android phone that matches that feeling is the HTC One and the M8. 

Discuss?

This is just the classic AMD vs nVidia argument, one can look at the specs of an AMD gpu and say that it's better, but all would know that actual performance between the 2 are very similar, just that nVidia has a better overall package and experience. What you said about "better battery, camera, build quality, speakers, more features and WAY better displays" is all wrong. iPhones have better battery life vs battery capacity because of the efficient nature of iOS, although Android L will probably change that. The 5s camera takes great low light and high resolution shots, something that Androids can only do one of. Build quality, well, outside of select few Androids, most Androids do not have good build quality, especially the whole Samsung lineup. Speakers, only the HTC One seem to have good speakers. As for features, I consider most of the S5 features to be useless- who uses the health apps?

In conclusion, it just comes down to what you value and the marketing that needs to be ignored.

This is just the classic AMD vs nVidia argument, one can look at the specs of an AMD gpu and say that it's better, but all would know that actual performance between the 2 are very similar, just that nVidia has a better overall package and experience. What you said about "better battery, camera, build quality, speakers, more features and WAY better displays" is all wrong. iPhones have better battery life vs battery capacity because of the efficient nature of iOS, although Android L will probably change that. The 5s camera takes great low light and high resolution shots, something that Androids can only do one of. Build quality, well, outside of select few Androids, most Androids do not have good build quality, especially the whole Samsung lineup. Speakers, only the HTC One seem to have good speakers. As for features, I consider most of the S5 features to be useless- who uses the health apps?

In conclusion, it just comes down to what you value and the marketing that needs to be ignored.

Just to add to this, I do not think the speakers being better on the HTC One as being a plus over the iPhone. The speakers make the phone longer. I care way more about the smaller footprint of the iPhone than I do about the speaker quality. If I need better sound I'll plug in headphones. When I show videos to my friends, the speaker on the iPhone is sufficient and way better than any Galaxy phone I've ever used. If I'm going to watch a movie I'll pull out my iPad or Macbook for the bigger screen as well. I don't need better phone speakers when its going to add size to the top and bottom of the  phone. 

It has better build quality than any windows phone, and is intuitive for noobs. I'm not exactly biased, I have an HTC One... But iPhones aren't crappy. You seem to be, and your profile pic supports it, a fanboy.

I don't think i am a fanboy, yes i do use android but my mom has both an iPad mini and a Lumia 520 which i have used a lot and most of my friends have iPhones i have not said that iPhones were crappy, i was just making a point that even if Apple screws up the next iPhone, people will still buy it. And i have held the lumia 925 and i can say it does feel really nice in the hand but maybe not as nice as an 5s (not going to talk about the 5c).

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I don't think i am a fanboy, yes i do use android but my mom has both an iPad mini and a Lumia 520 which i have used a lot and most of my friends have iPhones i have not said that iPhones were crappy, i was just making a point that even if Apple screws up the next iPhone, people will still buy it. And i have held the lumia 925 and i can say it does feel really nice in the hand but maybe not as nice as an 5s (not going to talk about the 5c).

Yeah you do have a point, most people buy them for the sake of having them and not for specs/build quality. But they do have very nice build quality and good specs, even for the price.

Samsung made the GS5, which to untrained eyes, looks exactly the same as the GS4, yet people still buy it. As for specs, just because Androids have quad cores at 2.4ghz doesn't make them better than the Apple A7, it's like comparing an Intel i3 to an AMD FX 8 core, the Core i3 will most likely beat the FX in gaming.

Looool, Lumias have a great build quality BTW. Plus Nokia has always been known for their extra durable phones (most of them). I wouldnt underestimate nokia if i were you because in many aspects it is a lot better than iphones. First example is navigation, second example camera (everyone knows no one has a better camera than nokia phones). They make great phones and great custom apps for them. Sooo...just dont say nokia is something inferior to apple products or any android phones. About the OS, well i prefer WP but that depends from person to person what you need and what you like.

At least nokia doesnt ship out hundreds of phones with broken screens etc, I ve also never heard of any nokia phone catching on fire or exploding....did you?....hmmm 

Edited by TristanK

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850