using 4790k on Asus Maximus VI

Hey all! I'm buying components to build a new computer, at its heart: the Intel i7-4790k and an Asus Maximus VI( I hope ).

It wasn't until after my order that I realized that the 4790k needed a bios update in the MOBO I ordered. So without a previous generation processor, is it possible to do the necessary updates? Or will I need to send the board back and get a Z97?

If interested;

Other parts:

16GB corsair vengeance ram

H100i cooler

Samsung 840 EVO 500gb ssd

Dual Geforce GTX 660ti windforce overclocked edition running on SLI.

The Devils Canyon will work fine with it but you may need to do a BIOS update.

Remember that the Core i5-4690K and Core i7-4790K are still Haswell CPU's

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Afaik, you need to put a haswell cpu in, update the bios and then put the haswell refresh.

But why don't you just buy the maximus vii? It has to be ~the same money.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Afaik, you need to put a haswell cpu in, update the bios and then put the haswell refresh.

But why don't you just buy the maximus vii? It has to be ~the same money.

But those CPU's are Haswell?

Why would it be such a problem?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

But those CPU's are Haswell?

Why would it be such a problem?

Well,idk. Ask intel or the motherboard manufacturers.

Z87 boards need a bios update in order to be compatible with Z97 processors.

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Thanks for your quick responses fellas! I had heard before that there was a need to have an older has well CPU in order to update it. I'm going to contact both Asus and Intel now and try to figure it out. I'll let you know of I find anything out.

yes you can update the BIOS for the mobo even without the CPU

download the BIOS for your mobo eg Maximus 6 Formula

rename the file to M6F.CAP

format a thumbdrive to FAT32

dump file to drive

plug in mobo power and plug drive to USB

press BIOS flash button

done

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

make sure you update bios before booting in to windows and check that the voltage are correct.

watch first 2 mins of that. the motherboard had put the voltage to 1.5v

Careful with the CPU , it may burn it , look at the Jayztwocents review posted by gramzon

Just send it back and get the VII z97 instead it's like 20 dollars more

Emmh... Maybe consider killing yourself before you talk to me?

Pople on this forum though some of them had a brain, turns out, no.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey There Guys! I have an update for all of you!

I did end up trying it: and heres what I'll Say.

To test its 'booting' i was a bit silly.. I took the HDD out of my Intel Laptop..(i've done this before and had it work) [This was a dumb mistake i believe..]

I was able to get into bios, etc... but the booting would stop at the windows logo, and the PC would restart..

so i sent back the Motherboard.. and got an Asus Z97-A (was actually cheaper..)

It came in, and I used the same HD.. But.. the same restart issue was occuring.. So i tried i cleared sdd and tried installing windows into it.. and it worked..

So.. Looking back: I personally think my Hero Board would have worked.. But I cant Say for 100% either way, I have my build done now and I'm perfectly happy with the Z97-A!

Well good luck! Hope I Wasn't Too Late to help anyone out!

~Austin

Careful with the CPU , it may burn it , look at the Jayztwocents review posted by gramzon

I saw that too. Not sure what happened to his setup. I'm running a maximus vi hero and a 4790k. It's running great. No voltage anomalies or any other issues.