Ford using VR to design prototypes for their new cars

Elizabeth Baron ford's engineer was pictured several times using VR goggles with a controller to design a prototype in computer software, the engineer was also sitting in a simulator chair which was the cockpit of the car, could this be a massive step from clay modelling cars to inexpensive VR modelling and are other companies going to take the same step or have they already.

original article:

www.extremetech.com/extreme/185109-inside-ford-vitual-prototyping-lab-why-make-full-size-clay-cars-when-vr-will-do

post-101529-0-63709900-1404572988.jpg

post-101529-0-37493500-1404573002.jpg

post-101529-0-84309600-1404573018.jpg

"Why make full-size clay cars when VR will do?"

Why use expensive VR equipment when modelling it as a high-quality mod into a game will do?

"Rawr XD"

My guess for the reason not using CAD on a computer is to be immersed into the model car, so it can be as close to the real thing as possible without actually building it, for long term use the VR equipment will be cheaper, pay for the initial cost from the VR equipment and that is pretty much it except from the possible maintenance.

i think they still will make clay model but only once they have the design almost finalised, i mean it may look good in VR but in real life it might just not flow the way they expect

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I agree they probably will do a final clay model to see if it is what they want but with the very early stage prototypes they probably would use the VR