What is a good 1080p/1200p IPS display, that isn't too expensive?

gligoran
Hey guys,

I currently have an older Samsung T240, which is a 1920x1200 TN panel. I'm now looking to make this a second screen and get a better one as the primary one. I would really like you guys' suggestions.

I have a few wishes. It has to have a good color reproduction and viewing angles. Because of that as far as I know IPS panels are the ones to go with. I would love it to be a 1200p, but as it seems these are much rarer than they were 5 years ago. I use my computer for everything from gaming, to programming (which would probably stay on the 1200p screen for the vertical resolution), web site creation and light Photoshop use. I'm not in the market for a 120Hz monitor, so a 60Hz is enough.

I would also like to ask you about color depth. I noticed that there are "8 bit" (6-bit+dithering) and then there are true 8-bit panels. How noticeable is the difference? How many graphics cards do support this?

I have been doing some looking around myself and Dell U2414H (is 230€ ~ $315 with tax) seems to be a very strong candidate. I really love its thin bezels.

I would love to get some other alternatives from you as I really need a dual monitor setup, but want the new screen to have a long life time, as it would probably serve as a second screen in the next year or so when I build a new computer that's capable of at least 2.5K and get such a monitor.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

U2414H and U2412M are great monitors.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

I have been doing some looking around myself and Dell U2414H (is 230€ ~ $315 with tax) seems to be a very strong candidate. I really love its thin bezels.

I bought two of those but I haven't set them up on a PC yet because mine isn't done being built. I tried them on an xbox one and they looked really nice, and they have a lot of good reviews. From what I've heard the 8-bit true vs 6bit + FRC is so well implemented that it's hard to tell the difference, so unless you're a pro I wouldn't worry about it. It took me almost a week worth of research and an impulse buy because of a sale, but I'm glad because they look fantastic and the colours look really nice too. 

One thing I have heard though is that you will need to load the proper colour profile to get the full sRGB range if you are running Nvidia cards. Check out the TFT Central review on this monitor if you want a really in depth review, it also addresses the Nvidia issue. http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2414h.htm

Thanks guys.

I went with the U2414H as it's a newer model and it will go great with a bigger monitor once I get my rig up to date and purchase some 1440p or even a 4K monitor. But it's probably going to be another year or so, before I could afford that.

I got the monitor yesterday. I didn't have much time with it yet, but the few hours I did, the screen looks amazing. I love the thin bezels.

CPU: Intel i7 950 | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4GB | SSD: 256GB 840 Pro | HDD 1: SAMSUNG HD103SJ 1TB | HDD 2: WD 320GB | RAM: Crucial XMS3 12GB (6x 2GB) | Case: Corsair R200 | PSU: LCPower 650W | Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo