Will an AMD FX-8350 Vishera bottleneck an AMD Radeon HD 7970?

Go to solution Solved by sk8ermanblue,

There will be some bottlenecking going on but they will be very wide and not able to be noticed by most people to quote Linus. "Every computer has bottlenecks it's just how big they are" this one should have some gaping holes that will be able to do some serious game time and edit very well with all of those cores. I would suggest 16Gigs of 1600 ram fore sure though as you don't want to artificially bottleneck with ram and rendering :)

Very Respectfully

Sk8ermanblue

I'm doing a $1,500 AMD build for a charity event. All the entries along with a check of $30,000 will be donated to a video production office that was destoyed in a fire. I'm not that experienced with AMD based systems, and would like to know if the FX 8350 will be bottlenecked by the Radeon 7970, or vice versa. Thanks in advance!

System so far:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black

Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600

Power Supply: CORSAIR Gold AX750 750W

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB

Storage: Western Digital WD Black 1TB

Lighting: NZXT HUE RGB Led Controller with LED strip

*There is only 1TB of storage as a scratch disc. My friend is building a 12TB RAID10 server.*

Edited by 16TerrorBites

"...The closer you get to something, the tougher it is to see it..."

It may be a little bottleneck but at those high framrates, it doesn't make any difference. Maybe you can see some dips in very intensive games(Crysis 3, Far Cry 3), but nothing major.

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

People here are saying that there won't be any bottlenecks, but in actuality, there's always a bottleneck. Because every part in your computer has limitations. Otherwise, we would have infinite FPS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You should keep the PC xD

I know its for a good cause :D, so yeah don't listen to me.

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1

Thanks everyone for the fast feedback!

I'm doing a $1,500 AMD build for a charity event. All the entries along with a check of $30,000 will be donated to a video production office that was destoyed in a fire. I'm not that experienced with AMD based systems, and would like to know if the FX 8350 will be bottlenecked by the Radeon 7970, or vice versa. Thanks in advance!

System so far:

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Vishera

Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7970 3GB

Case: Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black

Cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600

Power Supply: CORSAIR Gold AX750 750W

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 128GB

Storage: Western Digital WD Black 1TB

Lighting: NZXT HUE RGB Led Controller with LED strip

Could you add more ram a video production is heavy on ram.

I would say atleast 16gigs of ram.

Could you add more ram a video production is heavy on ram.

I would say atleast 16gigs of ram.

True. Thanks for the tip.

People here are saying that there won't be any bottlenecks, but in actuality, there's always a bottleneck. Because every part in your computer has limitations. Otherwise, we would have infinite FPS.

Yes but the gaming bottleneck is the graphics card as opposed to the cpu.

Yes but the gaming bottleneck is the graphics card as opposed to the cpu.

Not really. The CPU can be bottlenecking a video card. Linus has demonstrated that already.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There will be some bottlenecking going on but they will be very wide and not able to be noticed by most people to quote Linus. "Every computer has bottlenecks it's just how big they are" this one should have some gaping holes that will be able to do some serious game time and edit very well with all of those cores. I would suggest 16Gigs of 1600 ram fore sure though as you don't want to artificially bottleneck with ram and rendering :)

Very Respectfully

Sk8ermanblue

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

An 8350 can easily drive a single 7970. The only case where it would bottleneck is if you were playing starcraft II or something like that.

Not really. The CPU can be bottlenecking a video card. Linus has demonstrated that already.

In this case it won't apart from a couple of scenarios such as PS2, BF3 64 Player big map servers etc. CPU upgrades will sometimes improve performance in certain games, but this is more to do optimisations as opposed to bottlenecks.

I'd say that for a single GPU the FX-8350 would be a respectable CPU well maybe not the GTX Titan, but for what you're doing it will be just fine. The board is totally enough for this type of build, but really as it was mentioned get 16GB of RAM.