Better cooling for Socket 775 and GTX470 - Water or Air?

xxx4reggie

Hey guys,

New guys on the forums but long time Linus follower. I've recently cleaned my pc and tried to do various things for better cooling so that there isnt alot of heat being produced/displaced out. The case (Antec tweleve hundred) currently sits at the bottom of the desk (plenty of open air flow) however the air coming out of it hits my leg and boy does it get hot.

Currently I have 3 fans in the front directing air in, one fan up top pushing air out. 2 fans in the back pushing air out and one on the side panel pulling air in towards the gpu (i just changed to push air out for this one to see if any changes).

My processer, ExtremeCore2 x9650 isnt overclocked and normal browsing hits: Core0 - 50C, Core1 - 44C, Core2 - 45C, Core 3 - 49C

My GPU, GTX470 isnt OC either and hits 67C when normal browsing too with fan speed at 61% using EVGA software at auto.

The problem for me is that I'm tired of the heat, it gets annoying and I want something quiet/cool. Yes I can upgrade the mobo/cpu/gpu but the system runs strong with only heat being the issue.

I have the striker extreme mobo with zalman cpu cooler (big shark fin, sorry I don't remember the model name but can take a pic if need be.

Can you guys recommend to me what I can do to cool the system down? Which should I do first? GPU or CPU?

What do you think is causing the majority of the heat?

I don't want to spend too much however I do want to get a quality product that will do the job for a good time. I'm debating about water cooling (self contained kits) because it would (probably) be quieter but I need the experts here for help.

Please let me know, I'm basically looking for a cooling upgrade for my GPU/CPU so trying to find the best product to cool my old school machine.

Thanks so much!

Reggie

post-88016-0-76412000-1404437307_thumb.j

I would personally just stick with the air cooling. With a 775 computer as old as it is I wouldn't put more money into it. I mean yea core 2 quads and all of it's variants are still good cpus. I was running a q6600 all the way through high school and had no problems with it. I just wouldn't advise investing into it, instead put the money towards a new build.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

But if you wanna just slowly upgrade what is your price range? I would go for a gpu upgrade first you may run into bottlenecking but that would be with both a cpu and a gpu upgrade. Anything current will bottleneck anything with a 775 socket type. 

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

is your floor carpeted? place it higher or place it on your desk

swap the PSU so that the fan is facing down

no point going water cooling on such a old system

front will be intake and back fans be the exhaust

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

is your floor carpeted? place it higher or place it on your desk

swap the PSU so that the fan is facing down

no point going water cooling on such a old system

front will be intake and back fans be the exhaust

I still have my Q6600, which I watercooled last month. Nothing wrong with spending a few bucks to keep it under 80ºF.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Hey guys, the case sits here:

also I know the system is old and prob worth the upgrade but I just dont have the funds to build a PC, with a 2 year old and a new born, I'm really limited to what I can buy, so far the cheapest upgrade is better cooling rather then building a new system.

I'm thinking $100 to $150 for cooling for both

Flooring is hardwood

space between wall and front is a little less then 6 inches. top space is over a foot from desk and fan. rear space is over 6 inches from fan to desk wall

post-88016-0-84283100-1404439033_thumb.j

Jesus Christ...try cleaning up the cabling in the system before attempting any further fixes...can you open the side panel and show me a pic?

^^ what WinNut says

do some proper cable management

that will affect airflow really bad

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Jesus Christ...try cleaning up the cabling in the system before attempting any further fixes...can you open the side panel and show me a pic?

If you think that's messy, try mine. It's like cable hell.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If you think that's messy, try mine. It's like cable hell.

PM that to me, will you?

PM that to me, will you?

Some time. I don't have a camera.

Lol, I know the wiring right now is horrible but that's because I'm trying different things to see what works and what doesn't. Before this all the cable management and HDD setup was properly set up so that airflow from front went to directly to GPU/CPU, temps were exactly the same on Idle. So right now I'm doing my experimental stuff. The HDDs are normally out of the way at the bottom tray so air goes right to the CPU fan. The GPU gets that direct air from second fan.

Here are the inside pics, ignore the bad cabling routing and loose HDDs for now (this is just me messing with it to see what else I can do).

Also to note, with the side panel removed for about 10 mins and system on idle, the temps did not drop, it stayed the same (which is wierd, I would have thought all that cool air would affect it by a few degrees?

post-88016-0-28810100-1404440225_thumb.j

post-88016-0-71003400-1404440229_thumb.j

i see a problem in pic front intake has no placw to get air in so rotate it so u get right side panel front 

then gpu fan intake

front intake

back as u like 

top out

and no hot air at your legs

y do u have a passive coler and complain about heat and three intake fans

Just put 1 top back 1 if neccesary 2 front and a active cooler on cpu [i.e  one with a fan]

turn the PSU the other way around too

stuff the cables behind if possible

need a good vacuum 

My secondary PC is a 775 E8400, it's a duel core 3.0GHz. I use this PC to game and render video and as for the heat I have it just on air cool but I also have it in a Cooler Master HAF and it has 3 200mm fans and it stays quite cool all the time and also I don't even have a fan on the proc, they only thing that causes any heat is the GPU but thats sent out the back of the case since it's the reference card GTX 680 (it was a hand me down). That twelve hundred is a good case from what I can remember and I'm not sure if you can use 200mm fans in there but they work awesome, the only noise I hear from that PC is the GPU when I start using it. 

These pics are kind of old and it's also when I was using a GTX 480. I haven't had a heat issue yet and it keeps chugging along

DSCN1168.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Now that I see a pic of the inside of your system I can see all the dust. Dust acts like a insulator and it will not let the fins cool off, get some canned air and blow that dust off. Also make sure the front of the case is dust free also. Once that fills up with dust no cool air can come into your case. I've had that issue a long time ago on another case. you will see a major difference once you clean it up and get rid of the dust and manage the cable's for better air flow. 

Proc: Intel Core i9 9900K 5GHz OC MoBo: ASUS Maximus XI Formula Z390 Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 32GB  Vidcard: ASUS RTX 2080 ROG STRIX OC Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 240GB  HDD: 4X WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Case: Corsiar 760T Black Monitor: ASUS PG278QE 165Hz 1ms  Peripheral: Razer Huntsman Elite - Deathadder V2 - Sabertooth Controller

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

I'll get the dust cleaned up this weekend and update with pics. As for now, I wont' be able to (baby needs me, diapers!).

Freeterican, nice rig man, I see how awesome it looks cleaned (no dust at all!)

With my case, cable management is a little tricky since the cables from the PSU are really short (and I have alot left over) but I'll do my best (hopefully better this time around).

What was wierd though, and guys please provide some input on this, is that with the case open for about 30 mins, the temp did not drop 1 degree. It stayed the same. Shouldn't it drop something if the case is open and there is all this air coming in? 

not really, the dust on the CPU acts like a blanket and keeps the fins from doing there job and also when you have the case closed it should act like a wind tunnel and once you open the case that effect is canceled. I would think cause since you have the front of your case blocked off somewhat it makes no difference if the side panel is off or on. once you clean it up and pull it way and let the front breath you should see a difference.

forgot to mention, make sure also that your CPU is't under load all the time. Hit the cntl+alt+del and watch to see if it's under load when your not doing anything with it.

update on this. the heat is becoming nuts. i have to put an external fan directed into the side of the pc for the heat to get less.

i've cleaned all the dust off, reworked all the wires but no change in temps at all. 

Can you guys recommend any aftermarket gpu and cpu coolers please? i'm kinda desperate now. 

update on this. the heat is becoming nuts. i have to put an external fan directed into the side of the pc for the heat to get less.

i've cleaned all the dust off, reworked all the wires but no change in temps at all. 

Can you guys recommend any aftermarket gpu and cpu coolers please? i'm kinda desperate now. 

Cheap and good Air cooler for the CPU

CoolerMaster 212 Evo/Plus

not sure for GPU thou

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!