Microsoft and Canon sign patent cross-licensing agreement

snowComet

The Wall Street Journal reported, Microsoft and Canon had signed a deal on sharing patent portfolios for research and development. Under this agreement, both company are licensed to acess to each other's high valued and growing patent portfolios, including certain digital imaging and mobile consumer products. Unfortunately the details of the agreement will not be disclosed.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/jul14/07-02canonpr.aspx

http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-canon-sign-deal-to-share-patent-licenses-1404309163

I wonder if this cross-licensing agreement could lead to some exciting new product.

Not likely. “Microsoft believes cooperative licensing is an effective way to accelerate innovation while reducing patent disputes.”  It's an agreement to stop the potential bickering that might occur between these two companies.

Read: Canon wants in on the mobile sector with their own camera phone and MS wants in on Canons sensor tech for better stuff in their own phones.

I'm actually okay with this. 

I wonder if this cross-licensing agreement could lead to some exciting new product.

Not likely. “Microsoft believes cooperative licensing is an effective way to accelerate innovation while reducing patent disputes.”  It's an agreement to stop the potential bickering that might occur between these two companies.

Not likely, Canon is going under due to Nikon dominating SLR tech completely in every technical way, now they have to diversify or die as their R&D is inferior to Nikon, and they do so by going through Microsoft to get in on a different market, most likely mobile phones.

In fact, this looks to be turning into some sort of Japan vs. USA thing, since the whole reason Nikon swept the rug under Canon in the first place was their exclusive deal with Sony 3-4 years back to use their imaging sensor technology - as well as a manufacturing deal - and really now Nikon's sensors are completely superior to Canon's in every way. Bit depth, colour, sharpness, noise, dynamic range, detail - there is not a single image quality aspect in Canon's favour anymore.

Even Canon's advantage in video features, their last bastion, has now fallen.

I am of course excited to see what Canon's manouvre is going to be. Sadly, I think a smaller SLR company like Pentax is going to become #2 in the market, and not Canon.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Not likely, Canon is going under due to Nikon dominating SLR tech completely in every technical way, now they have to diversify or die as their R&D is inferior to Nikon, and they do so by going through Microsoft to get in on a different market, most likely mobile phones.

Lol Canon is much, much bigger than Nikon. They aren't going anywhere. Even in DSLRs, while the sensors are lacking (Nikon uses Sony sensors btw, they don't have enough R&D themselves for it), their lenses market themselves.

Lol Canon is much, much bigger than Nikon. They aren't going anywhere. Even in DSLRs, while the sensors are lacking (Nikon uses Sony sensors btw, they don't have enough R&D themselves for it), their lenses market themselves.

Read the recent edit. 

And Canon's lenses aren't really that much better anymore - if you like wide angle, portrait or macro you go Nikon, if you like super zooms you go Canon. I work as a photojournalist, and our office is 95% Nikon dominated. The only reason Canon could still be larger is consumers, if your claim is even true, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

And @That Norwegian Guy

Nikon is better for photography, but canon has a huge lead in videography, and canon is still quite competitive in photography as well.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Lumia dSLR's?

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

More likely an exiting new lawsuit though.

-------

Current Rig

-------